Used CD dilemma

What would you do?

One of my local used CD shops has the Miles Davis Complete Plugged Nickel box set for 50 bucks in excellent condition.

One small problem:

It is missing Disc 1

Should I go for it and hope to find a stray disc one at a later date?

OR

should I use the 50 bucks and buy a copy of Woody Shaw's Bemsha Swing for 16, and 2 More Pieces of the Puzzle for 16, and use the remaining 18 dollars on some other goodies?

:blink:

Judging from the closed auctions on eBay, the cheapest one that sold on eBay recently went for $74 plus $4 S&H, for a total of $78.

Oddly enough, there are none at half.com right now, which I can't believe (but maybe I'm not doing the search right, or it's listed funny).

So, then, the question is weather you can find a "disc 1" of the PN set for anything like $10 or so, which seems like a fairly decent possibility. There's a "disc 7" on eBay right now, so these things do turn up for time to time.

For $50, I'd sure think about getting it. Maybe make them an offer of $40, and see if the meet you in the middle at $45?? Just a another idea.

Also, I'm sure somebody here could burn you a copy of the first disc - so it's not like you'd be without the music.

Also, if you do buy it - put out the word here that you're lookin' for a 'disc 1' of the PN set, so we can grab one for you if we see it floating around sometime. Hell, anybody here know of any loose PN discs currently for sale anywhere???

Thanks Rooster. I knew I could get a disc one burn from someone here. I actually have an mp3 copy, but I would like to have the complete manufactured set.

Good to know stray discs pop up now and again.

Maybe I'll just wait and get the Jack Johnson set when it comes out. That looks incredible.

OK, found it at half.com, you gotta search for "Miles Davis Complete".

Cheapest one (and it happens to be still sealed) is $84 plus $2.50 S&H for a total of $86.50.

So, the question is this...

Is "disc 1" worth between $28 and $36 to you???? (Cuz that's the difference between $50 and "the going market rate".)

Or does anybody else know of any cheaper???

Or better yet, any stray 'disc 1' PN CD's needing good homes!!

Guest Chaney

I dunno.  This is probably related to toilet training, or my mother being mean to me one day, or some other Freudian thingie, but it would absolutely drive me nuts to be missing the one disc, even with a CDR to replace it... :wacko:

A while back, I bought the OOP Andrew Hill Mosaic set for around $90 - complete, 'cept for CD 6 being a CDR.

I'm a pretty anal guy but I gladly took the deal and inwardly gloated over the money saved.

Buy the set, accept the CDR and have some additional fun with the money saved.

Ok, this won't help you but anyway...

eBay Germany has one set - two days left, no bid at this point (EUR 69.99, US $ 76.00).

Yep, but the seller doesn't ship outside Germany (as is so often the case with eBay Germany auctions).

By the way, the "Buy It Now" price ("Sofort kaufen") is €74.99 or $81 at today's exchange rate.

Yep, but the seller doesn't ship outside Germany (as is so often the case with eBay Germany auctions).

Yes, and I wonder why.

This was discussed on the "old board". I don't remember exactly what was said, but it might be a language problem.

Edited by J.A.W.

I personally would not buy the set missing a disk. I can buy sets missing booklets or cover artwork or whatever, but not missing a disk.

Save the $$$ for something else.

Don't care too much for those Woody Shaw titles, though "Two More Pieces of the Puzzle" isn't bad. Didn't care for "Bemsha Swing"for some odd reason, though I love Woody Shaw.

;) Well, I thought that I'd seen a copy of this at a store by my house, so I went down there, and lo and behold...it was there. Disc 1 and everything. It was $5, and a little used looking. I'm playing it right now to see if it skips, and if it doesn't, it's yours for $5 and shipping.