Farlow,Pass, Smith

I was fortunate enough to be able to take advantage of the Universal (imported) Mosaic for Tal Farlow when they were making the rounds and selling for around $50.00 new. I hadn't heard of Tal Farlow but I enjoyed the sound samples and thought I'd give him a try figuring that if I didn't like him, I could probably sell the set for as much, if not more, than I paid for it so it was basically a no-lose gamble. As it turns out, I really enjoy the set and would give it an unreserved recommendation for anyone looking for excellent jazz guitar recordings.

Skill, sound and execution-wise, the box set is excellent. I was concerned that I might get bored with Farlow quickly as I'm not a huge guitar fan but I didn't find that happening. (Though I'm probably not going to listen to all 7 CDs back-to-back.) There is a nice variety in the mix to keep things interesting. If you're a guitar fan, I don't think you can really go wrong or be disappointed with the Farlow set.

I have the Pass, I've listened to it about 1 1/2 times. I liked it. The Farlow has to be interesting, I'll get it some day. Same goes for the Smith. Sorry if I'm not much help. :g

My only real complaint is that the tunes are too dam short.

I also picked up the import Universal Farlow for around $50 when it was available, and it was a steal at that price. I love the Farlow set--don't own the others, and don't really plan on buying them although I have considered them at times. Though I'd still consider the Farlow set worthy at regular price.

I also picked up the import Universal Farlow for around $50 when it was available, and it was a steal at that price. I love the Farlow set--don't own the others, and don't really plan on buying them although I have considered them at times. Though I'd still consider the Farlow set worthy at regular price.

I'd second that. I failed to mention that in my initial post.

Edited by mikelz777

I have all three. I enjoy all three. Each of these guitarists are different.

Johnny Smith has such a beautiful sound and his work is very swinging and polished. Joe Pass and Tal Farlow to me incorporate slightly more progressive jazz elements in these recordings, and each sport individual guitar sounds ("edgier" than Smith's to my ears). Perhaps, knowing what little that I know of your musical leanings, the Farlow is the place to start.

Edited by jazzbo

I'd agree the Farlow set is an essential purchase. I don''t have the Smith or Pass sets but I have a few albums from them by both. They contain some very nice music but I feel that I have enough - they don't dont excite quite like Tal.

Unless the Horace Parlan set hits the Running Low catagory anytime soon, the Tal Farrow set is my next purchase.

Don't let that Parlan set get away from you, it's excellent! Probably one of my favorites.

Get both the Farlow and the Parlan, you won't regret it!

I have all three. I enjoy all three. Each of these guitarists are different.

Johnny Smith has such a beautiful sound and his work is very swinging and polished. Joe Pass and Tal Farlow to me incorporate slightly more progressive jazz elements in these recordings, and each sport individual guitar sounds ("edgier" than Smith's to my ears).

I agree with all of that. Smith could be exciting at times, but those times didn't occur as often. Pass could also be (for lack of a better vocabulary on my part) a bit "syrupy" at times with his musical choices a la Johnny, but then I dig a lot of that too (including one album I like a lot which didn't make the Mosaic, "Simplicity"). With Farlow you pretty much know what you're going to get, and the gettin's good. :)

No complaints about the music on the Joe Pass set - it's predictably nice and Mosaic have done a good job with the mastering. The 'Farlow Concert Band' set is great of course - what a bargain that was thanks to 'zwei'. Don't have the Johnny Smith but have heard quite a bit of it and would definitely buy it - its on my list.

No complaints about the music on the Joe Pass set - it's predictably nice and Mosaic have done a good job with the mastering. The 'Farlow Concert Band' set is great of course - what a bargain that was thanks to 'zwei'. Don't have the Johnny Smith but have heard quite a bit of it and would definitely buy it - its on my list.

"Farlow Concert Band"? Aren't you confusing two sets, the Farlow and the Mulligan Concert Band?

"Farlow Concert Band"? Aren't you confusing two sets, the Farlow and the Mulligan Concert Band?

I don't know if this was just on the Universal Mosaics or not but the spine on the box was mis-printed with, "TheComplete Verve Tal Farlow Concert Band Sessions."

I don't know if this was just on the Universal Mosaics or not but the spine on the box was mis-printed with, "TheComplete Verve Tal Farlow Concert Band Sessions."

Definitely a misprint, there was no such thing as a "Tal Farlow Concert Band".

Farlow's music I've known and loved for years. There's one date on the set that's kind of tepid -- the one with West Coast hornmen; nothing against them, but something was a bit off that day --otherwise it's all top drawer.

The Smith set was a revelation to me; all I knew was his famous early "Moonlight in Vermont" album and one other later quartet date. It's hard to find the right words, but Smith in his highly polished, alwys unruffled, technically awesome (and some of his techniques are his alone) way is also one of the strangest, almost surreal, jazz musicians I know. I think it was Jim Sangrey who said in passing not long ago that Smith might be thought of as coming from a C&W sensibility, and he did play in such bands as a kid, but to the degree that that's there (the virtuoso guitar picker side of that scene), it gets blended with a unique, high-powered harmonic imagination -- perhaps a la virtuoso cocktail pianist Cy Walter, the so-called Park Avenue Tatum. Can't quite put this sketch of Smith together -- forgive me -- but there are lots of times on these sides where he does something, and you say, "What the hell was THAT!" Yes, you could say it's just really slick, but I'd say that while it's really slick, there's also a lot of real musical thought involved, and fairly unique, intense thinking too.

I like Joe Pass on that Gerald Wilson big band date he did. Otherwise, he mostly bores me. A guitar navel-gazer.

• 2 weeks later...

My listening has sort of honed in lately on jazz guitar. I'm wondering how people feel about the relative merits of these three sets, I'm thinking of choosing one to purchase some time this spring.

If you're getting more into jazz guitar, have you checked out Kenny Burrell? I love him.