Farlow,Pass, Smith

My listening has sort of honed in lately on jazz guitar. I'm wondering how people feel about the relative merits of these three sets, I'm thinking of choosing one to purchase some time this spring.

If you're getting more into jazz guitar, have you checked out Kenny Burrell? I love him.

Yes, but not enough, I'm embarrassed to say I don't even have Burrell's BN CD with Turrentine though I always see it listed as desert island material. I just ordered some single CDs with Rene Thomas and another with Billy Bauer. I'm going to spring for the Farlow in a couple of weeks, I'm waiting for a nice 250 bonus check to make its way through the system and to my mailbox. My bonus check is Mosaic's gain :lol: In fact, I probably should have just had it made out to MC.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Up again with this thread. Just working my way through the Johnny Smith box. Really nice stuff - as mentioned above his style is coming out of the C&W/bluegrass origins but with a hint of the Tristano influence on the early sides and with added studio session-man sophistication as the set progresses. It's also a very, very listenable set - suprising I guess, as I would have expected multiple CDs of this material to get boring after a while. :tup

The Farlow is one of the most enjoyable of the Mosaics for me. I wasn't much of a jazz guitar fan until listening to Farlow. He has what is, for me, one of the essential qualities of jazz--the ability to humanize the instrument. Not an easy thing to do, I'm sure, on any insturment, but particularly the guitar. But somehow he has a sound and approach that is distinct--and man, can Farlow and Eddie Costa fly!