Stravinsky's Rite Of Spring

HolyStitt

From the Ashley Kahn "Impulse" book, Alice and john Coltrane are trying to decide what to listen to one afternoon, after a few suggestions John says "Something greater, something vast, something with multiple, higher dimensions." Alice replies "OK, what would that be?" John says "Stravinsky."

Of course...he's the Great Composer.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am trying to find a version of Stravinsky's Rite Of Spring to start with.

Does anyone have any to recommendation?

I love the Charles Dutoit, Montreal Orchestra recording, but it is rare.

If not the Chicago Sym Orch with Ozawa is on itunes and it nice

I agree. This particular recording is more dynamic and crisp than most you'll find on the commercial marketplace. Many of the others i have on LP (Monteux conducting the Paris Conservatoire Orch on RCA Victor and Boulez conducting Orch Nat'l de la RTF on Nonsuch, for example) sound sluggish by comparison..

This version by Monteux (remember, he was the conductor who premiered the work) is great:

41kEQQiRXsL._SS400_.jpg

I don'tremember, iit was a long, long time ago. But here's the review from Amazon:

Amazon.com

The amount of sheer history present in this release threatens to overwhelm its musical value. Monteux conducted the world premieres of both of these works, and these recordings commemorate returns to the orchestra he had directed just after the First World War. Petruschka, in sparkling 1959 stereo, lacks the violence and visionary character heard in some of the best performances (like Stokowski/Philadelphia). But its clarity and musical impulse are really treasurable, and combined with the playing of the great orchestra they make for a memorable version even though it leaves some things unsaid. The Rite of Spring is 1951 mono, but the clarity of the recording and its impact hold up surprisingly well. If you want sheer viciousness (a worthwhile quality in this music) look for the deleted Dorati/Minneapolis Mercury CD. For a performance that treats this piece for its musical values, Monteux is extremely gratifying. It's difficult to believe the legend that the conductor didn't like this music! RCA's new remastering is marginally clearer than the previous RCA Gold Seal addition, and the price is right. --Leslie Gerber

• 1 month later...