Stravinsky's Rite Of Spring

HolyStitt

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Igor Stravinsky's own interpretation with the Columbia Symphony Orchestra, Igor Markevich with the Philharmonia Orchestra London, Claudio Abbado with the London Symphony Orchestra, Pierre Boulez with the Cleveland Orchestra, and Bernard Haitink with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra. I think I also have Ferenc Fricsay somewhere. Fascinating music I keep returning to.

Looks like the first (1963) Pierre Boulez recording of this Sacre du Printemps with l'Orchestre National which celebrated the 50th anniversary of the creation of it in Paris is not available now.

It came out on the Ades label. An electric reading which does not seem to have been equaled!

It was Stravinsky's preferred recorded version of his Sacre.

I've heard about a dozen Sacres, and the Boulez/Cleveland on DG is my favourite.

On Stravinsky's own 1960's recording (Sony), the orchestra is not as good.

The recent recordings by Rattle and Salonen (I've listened to them because I wanted a version on SACD) didn't convince me either. Not that they are bad, but I always prefer the Boulez, with it's perfect balance of precision and wildness.

Edited by Claude

Looks like the first (1963) Pierre Boulez recording of this Sacre du Printemps with l'Orchestre National which celebrated the 50th anniversary of the creation of it in Paris is not available now.

It came out on the Ades label. An electric reading which does not seem to have been equaled!

In one of the Stravinsky-Craft conversation books, there are some fairly scathing (at times) remarks about this recording from S. (purportedly), though it is preferred to the recording it is being compared to, Karajan's.

Further details about S.'s view of the first Boulez Rite recording, from "Dialogues": "Augurs of Spring" --"this is much too fast, as well as ragged"; "Spring Rounds -- "The ritardandos before 49 and 57 are ugly solecisms"; "The Sage" -- This is more than twice too fast"; [The performance overall "is less good than I had hoped.... Apart from sloppinesses -- surprising but of no importance -- there are very bad tempi and some tasteless alterations.... None of the three performances [Karajan's, Boulez's, and one with the Moscow State Symphony, conducted by a guy whose name I can't transliterate] is good enough to be preserved."

I was impressed by Craft's Rite on MusicMasters with the Orchestra of St. Lukes. I believe he recorded it again a few years later for Koch with the New Philharmonia.

Edited by Larry Kart

I was impressed by Craft's Rite on MusicMasters with the Orchestra of St. Lukes. I believe he recorded it again a few years later for Koch with the New Philharmonia.

Craft's Koch and Musicmasters recordings of Stravinsky works are currently available on Naxos. The Sacre recorded in 1995 for Koch is with the London Symphony:

http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.557501#

The composer's 1960 recording, raggedy as it is, was the most important record in my musical development, period.

I've never liked any of the Boulez recordings. They sound strangely smooshy and soft-core to me.

I like Dorati, who's constantly interesting, even when I don't like his tempi.

There's an Abbado on DG that isn't bad, coupled on some issues with a great Petrushka.

The Markevitch, if you can find it, is never dull.

Now, let's talk about best Rite of Spring cover art. As we all know, inferior cover art can spoil a listening experience every bit as much as a worn stylus.

The best two?

I nominate Dorati's first (mono) version with the Minneopolis Symphony. Orange tiki against a dark green background. His later stereo recording used a bland image.

And, of course, the Everest album (forget the conductor) with the photo of the guy holding the topless maiden in the air, presumably to be sacrificed.

I tried to find good images online but could not. You're welcome to post 'em if you've got 'em.