did AM used to sound better back in the day?

i was listening to my boris rose ALTO records lp of Bud Powell trio, WJZ broadcast 1953

it sounds so clear n stuff, it doesnt sound like AM- was AM like better fidelity back n the day n stuff?

Perhaps it sounded better back then because there was less talk. :)

AM radio turned into "talk radio" years ago and largely left music behind.

My recollection is that the radio industry made a big deal about the superior sound quality that was possible with FM radio. Also remember that most of AM radio is in mono.

On the other hand, my understanding is that many FM stations use an unnatural amount of compression to make their signals sound louder or "punchier" than they would otherwise. This comes at the expense of a more natural sound that would normally be possible and introduces some distortion.

The airwaves are clearer at night, so intereference is less. Plus, if he was recording off a station that had a transmitter right there in the city, the signal would be quite good.

When I was a kid, night time meant AM radio sleuthing. I used to listen regularly to WLS out of Chicago, KMOX out of St. Louis, WNOE out of New Orleans, KOA out of Denver, some stations out of Des Moines & Memphis, etc. etc. etc. Signals were strong when they weren't drifting (I think the amplitude modualtion meant that they'd be there for an hour or two, drift away, and then come back, but that's just speculation), and basically, if you were a "full powered" station for 24 hours and were anywhere in the South or Midwest, I could pick you up for at least a little while in East Texas.

Anyways, in the late 60s, when AM radio was the voice of American Popular Music (and playlists were aything but standardized), all this regional access was a godsend for a kid like me who wanted more than the local dawn-to-dusk stations could offer. It was really cool.

It was great when that's all there was. We were very happy with it, including music broadcasts. At night, you could pick up stations from up to 400 miles away, still sounding reasonable. Radio was still pretty big back then.

For various reasons, when FM started to take off, I didn't listen to radio stations much anymore, and I still don't. (One reason is my large collection of sounds at home.)

It was great when that's all there was. We were very happy with it, including music broadcasts. At night, you could pick up stations from up to 400 miles away, still sounding reasonable. Radio was still pretty big back then.

For various reasons, when FM started to take off, I didn't listen to radio stations much anymore, and I still don't. (One reason is my large collection of sounds at home.)

some of the greatest music listening at night came many years ago from wcfl in chicago where sid mccoy(the soul train voice), later with yvonne daniels(wife of eddie)hosted an all-night jazz show, sponsored by budweiser, king of beers, and the sound boomed night after night.

i would love to have some of those tapes, but i fear they are just memories grower ever more faint in my rear view mirror.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

On the other hand, my understanding is that many FM stations use an unnatural amount of compression to make their signals sound louder or "punchier" than they would otherwise. This comes at the expense of a more natural sound that would normally be possible and introduces some distortion.

Yeah...the compression has really made some stations unlistenable for me. Not all stations use it but it seems to be the way pop, oldies and rock fm has gone. Sucks.

It does seem to me that AM did sound better back in the day. Not sure if I'm right, but I think I have a pretty good memory for things like that. No question FM sounded better (sans all this compression bullshit).

Yeah. . . it was really the early sixties when transistors started to come into play in mass market devices.

I had a friend in Ohio who took old tube car radioes out of the junk yard and ran them in his barn loft party place on batteries and with compound speakers and they sounded good. (Of course our psyches were so bent. . .)

A few things have happened with AM. This is a non-technical explanation from a non-technical person so if I am a bit off in the explanation please be kind.

Most AM receivers no longer are analog, they use "Phase Lock Loop" tuning which is why the old-style tuning knob dissappeared from car and portable radios. You can only tune a station dead-on or some have the ability to tune in 1mhz or 5 mhz intervals. The analog AM signal in-effect is digitally processed and can sound a bit compressed. If you have a GE Superadio (the last analog radio made) or an old radio (I have a couple of Zenith Transoceanics) the stations still using analog transmitters sound pretty good.

Some network programming and local station links to their transmitters is delivered on T1 or broadband lines in packets like web streaming (it's cheaper than phone lines) and you can hear the comprssions problems - I believe the same thing can happen when program is delivered digitally by Satellite. Some porgrams/stations sound like Real-Audio streams.

And the swith to IBOC - digital HD AM - it seems to degrade the quality of the signal when you listen on regular radio.

It's a digital world now. My cable company just switched over completely to digital boxes meaning everything is coverted so I can see it on my analog TV. All the stations now have digital artifacts like on You Tube or Real-Video - it would be crystal clear if I had a digital TV and that is what will happen in 2009 when analog TV goes away and those of us who don't have HD TV's will be watching using converters.

Please correct if any of this is in error.

A few things have happened with AM. This is a non-technical explanation from a non-technical person so if I am a bit off in the explanation please be kind.

Most AM receivers no longer are analog, they use "Phase Lock Loop" tuning which is why the old-style tuning knob dissappeared from car and portable radios. You can only tune a station dead-on or some have the ability to tune in 1mhz or 5 mhz intervals. The analog AM signal in-effect is digitally processed and can sound a bit compressed. If you have a GE Superadio (the last analog radio made) or an old radio (I have a couple of Zenith Transoceanics) the stations still using analog transmitters sound pretty good.

Some network programming and local station links to their transmitters is delivered on T1 or broadband lines in packets like web streaming (it's cheaper than phone lines) and you can hear the comprssions problems - I believe the same thing can happen when program is delivered digitally by Satellite. Some porgrams/stations sound like Real-Audio streams.

And the swith to IBOC - digital HD AM - it seems to degrade the quality of the signal when you listen on regular radio.

It's a digital world now. My cable company just switched over completely to digital boxes meaning everything is coverted so I can see it on my analog TV. All the stations now have digital artifacts like on You Tube or Real-Video - it would be crystal clear if I had a digital TV and that is what will happen in 2009 when analog TV goes away and those of us who don't have HD TV's will be watching using converters.

i use my superradio daily with a booster called a select-a-tenna

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Makes sense to me. My buddy just got a new 42" plasma and while the HD channels look incredible, the non-HD ones (which are many) look terrible. Digital compression artifacts galore and a real fuzzy picture.

My wife and I have one TV: We got it free from her uncle and its a RCA 27" from 1983. I don't plan on "updating" any time soon.

...Most AM receivers no longer are analog, they use "Phase Lock Loop" tuning which is why the old-style tuning knob dissappeared from car and portable radios. You can only tune a station dead-on or some have the ability to tune in 1mhz or 5 mhz intervals....

So does this mean you can't get the theremin AM tuning effect anymore?

...Most AM receivers no longer are analog, they use "Phase Lock Loop" tuning which is why the old-style tuning knob dissappeared from car and portable radios. You can only tune a station dead-on or some have the ability to tune in 1mhz or 5 mhz intervals....

So does this mean you can't get the theremin AM tuning effect anymore?

I haven't heard the theremin affect on AM in a long time. Not with a radio that uses digital tuning. You also tend to get "digital hash" noise that sounds like TV snow on weaker stations or if you downtune one or more mhz.

The great grey old lady of radio stations WOR in NYC recently went to IBOC HD digital. On my car radio it sounds like Real Player on a 56.6 connection - everything sounds gravely like the announcers need to clear their throats. It probably sounds great with an HD receiver.

Tube receivers could sound great but I remember there always was a lot of signal drift afterawhile - meaning you had to re-tune the station occasionally. I had an tube Fisher AM/FM receiver from the early sixties once. With a good antenna and grounding AM sounded spectacular (within its limited frequency range). I believe older radio station transmitters drifted as well, but someone can correct me if that is wrong.

The best portable I evere owned was a Zenith Transoceanic H-600 portable tube receiver with AM and shortwave. Worked perfectly thirty years from when it was manufactured and the sound on AM and even on shortwave. Outstanding sound even on powerful clear channel/high powered AM's from distant states.

Sorry to go on too much but this subject hasn't come-up in quite a while. I turned on my transister Transoceanic Royal 1000 for the first time in months. Sounds pretty darn good.

Edited by homer9600