Benny Golson

Tom 1960

I just finished listening to Benny Golson's Groovin' With Golson. A really, really nice album with fine work from trombonist Curtis Fuller. Benny is definitely someone I want to delve into deeper. I realise the Mosaic set is available, but for now the cost is prohibitive. I'd rather for the time being, focus on some of his other sessions. I understand he recorded some other dates with Fuller in the late 50's. Something I'm very interested in hearing your thoughts on. Have at it and thanks as always.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You picked a fine one to start, but these two from roughly that period are excellent:

http://www.amazon.com/Benny-Golson-Philade...02-6102086-6514

http://www.amazon.com/Free-Benny-Golson-Qu...253&sr=1-31

The second in particular should be snapped up; it's terrific, cheap, and OOP.

I'll add that the Fuller-Golson pairing, so fine on "Groovin' With Golson," doesn't always yield topnotch results IMO. See "The Other Side of Benny Golson," which has its moments but isn't locked in the way "Groovin With Golson" is. On the other hand, Fuller's "Bluesette" with Golson (both the Savoy original and a '80s or '90s reunion date, same band) is/are really nice. Also, you probably should hear Golson on Art Farmer's "Modern Art."

Off the top of my head, I'd go for these first:

Benny Golson and the Philadelphians -United Artists

The Modern Touch -Riverside (with JJ, and Kenny Dorham,Wynton Kelly,Paul Chambers, and Max Roach)

The Other Side Of Benny Golson -Riverside

Benny Golson's New York Scene -Contemporary

Take A Number From One To Ten -Argo

Turning Point -Mercury

and if you don't have it:

Moanin' (Blakey) - Blue Note

... and a LOT of other good sideman appearances, with Jimmy Cleveland, Dizzy, Blue Mitchell...

Edited by Jim R

In addition to the fine albums already recommended (I love Gone With Golson and Gettin' With It) I would also point out two Curtis Fuller Savoys on which Golson appears: The Curtis Fuller Jazztet With Benny Golson, and Imagination. The latter, though it arguably has the less-impressive lineup, actually sounds better to my ears somehow. Bluesette is very nice, too. Frankly, it's hard to go wrong with Golson.

Everything that has been mentioned is well worth getting. Here are some others I enjoy.

Benny Golson - In Paris - Disques Swing

Benny Golson - Live - Dreyfus

Benny Golson Quartet - LRC

Benny Golson,Freddie Hubbard, Woody Shaw - Time Speaks - Timeless

Curtis Fuller - Blues-ette Part II - Savoy

This one was recorded many many years after the original Blues-ette session. It has the same personnel except for Ray Drummond replacing Jimmy Garrison on bass who had died.

http://www.amazon.com/Free-Benny-Golson-Qu...253&sr=1-31

The second in particular should be snapped up; it's terrific, cheap, and OOP.

However, if you are sure you will eventually get the Mosaic set, Free (and the entire Take a Number from 1 to 10) is on the set.

Once Free is gone, you can go this route:Golson Quartet

This has Free and Turning Point, again both on the Mosaic.

Farmer - Art and Perception

And this is also on the Mosaic, which I realized too late. But it is quite nice anyway.

Any comments on Stockholm Sojourn on Prestige ?, not sure if BG plays or was the arranger/composer on that date

It was on Prestige 7361 and Stateside 10150, and he did both.

According to Bruyninckx the big band parts were recorded July 14, 1964 in Stockholm, the parts of Grachan Moncur and and Cecil Payne were overdubbed in New York during autumn of 1964, as were the Swedish soloist in Stockholm.

Never heard that one but wonder how organic it sounds with this triple recording procedure.

I only have the Funky one on Arkadia... I don't like it that much, I have to confess.

I also saw Golson live with his Clifford Brown homage band - not one of the best concerts, he seemed tired, no air, his sound was still there more or less, but much less powerful, and his lines were rather boring/clichéd most of the time. Sad, since he's one of my favourite tenor sax players of any era and I definitely would have preferred to hear him 10 years ago when he was still in full possession of his powers as a player. He also relayed much on his stories, they ended up often being half as long as the songs following them... I'm not critizing him still doing his thing, in fact it's wonderful that he still is able to do it, but it's just not the same thing as you hear on older recordings.

A favorite early Benny Golson was his Contemporary album 'New York Scene'

305.jpg

Golson had a quintet of Art Farmer, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers and Charles Persip on it plus Jimmy Cleveland, Julius Watkins, Gigy Gryce and Sahib Shihab added on three tunes.

Golson, Gryce and Ernie Wilkins did the arrangements for the album.

The only thing wrong with this one was that it was not made in LA. Roy DuNann did not record it and the uncredited engineer did not do a DuNann job :(

I have that 'Stocholm Sojourn' Prestige LP somewhere. I was not very impressed and filed it in a corner. Can't lay my hands over it now :o

Edited by brownie

I only have the Funky one on Arkadia... I don't like it that much, I have to confess.

I also saw Golson live with his Clifford Brown homage band - not one of the best concerts, he seemed tired, no air, his sound was still there more or less, but much less powerful, and his lines were rather boring/clichéd most of the time. Sad, since he's one of my favourite tenor sax players of any era and I definitely would have preferred to hear him 10 years ago when he was still in full possession of his powers as a player. He also relayed much on his stories, they ended up often being half as long as the songs following them... I'm not critizing him still doing his thing, in fact it's wonderful that he still is able to do it, but it's just not the same thing as you hear on older recordings.

I and Nate Dorward (visiting from Toronto) heard Golson live at the Jazz Showcase last year. He was in very fine form (i.e. Golson; Nate was in fine form too).

"Stockholm Sojurn" has some nice writing but probably should be passed up by all but completists. No Golson solo work IIRC.

I too like "Terminal 1." I also recall "California Message" and "One More Mem'ry" (both with Fuller, from the early '80s) as being very nice, provided you can take the arguably rather narcissistic bass work of Bob Magnusson.

I and Nate Dorward (visiting from Toronto) heard Golson live at the Jazz Showcase last year. He was in very fine form (i.e. Golson; Nate was in fine form too).

That's good to hear Larry - too bad I had my only chance to hear him when he had a bad day/night, then :(

He's really some kind of idol for me, so I was pretty sad after that concert - if his music wasn't so dear to me, I'd not have even bothered to type the above post, I guess...

A bonus on The Philadelphians is a fantastic muted Lee Morgan solo on "You're Not The Kind" -- what continuity! Also, this is one of the few recorded performances (maybe the only?) by the bass-drum team of Percy Heath and P.J. Jones, who are superb together (along with Ray Bryant).

A bonus on The Philadelphians is a fantastic muted Lee Morgan solo on "You're Not The Kind" -- what continuity! Also, this is one of the few recorded performances (maybe the only?) by the bass-drum team of Percy Heath and P.J. Jones, who are superb together (along with Ray Bryant).

Not "the only".

Intoducing The Elmo Hope Trio has them together.

I have the JRVG.