Paul Quinichette

mikeweil

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

searching the last days for a photo of paul quinichette without finding one. finally here is one:

the original is bigger but i can´t post it because of the size!

Thanks a million times!!!

But: why not (you can't attach it in full size, but post a link to the pic so it is displayed):

paul-quinichette.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

Not a photo... but a video!

Quinichette appearing with Buck Clayton, Vic Dickenson, Billy Taylor, Mundell Lowe, Ed Thigpen. Could it be Earl May on bass?

Nice video - can't see enough of the bassist. So they play a Parker tune ..... Quinichette even holds his sax at the same angle as Pres! Thanks for posting this!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 years later...

Question for those that know better than me ... have been revisiting the great Hindsight 3CD set "Big Band Jazz – The Jubilee Sessions, 1943–1946" recently ... and lo and behold, there's a great honking Quinichette solo on the one Johnny Otis track included, "J.T. Stomp".

But now ... the tenor player on the Elmer Fain track "Stampede in G Minor" sounds, to my ears, most similar. For Fain though, no line up is provided at all. Date given is "August 1944" (Jubilee 94). He plays a whole run of Vice Pres' pet licks, the tone and phrasing sounds perfectly like Lady Q, too. Check out the solo entry at 1:07, then that slur upwards (it's repeated at the end of the first solo). When he re-enteres after the trumpet break, again, the entry (1:30-1:33) sounds very much like Quinichette.

Any other opinions there? Or has everyone known and I'm the last one to find out?

Evensmo, for one, doesn't list that track in his solography:

http://www.jazzarcheology.com/artists/paul_quinichette.pdf

He lists some other Jubilee sessions though, including the Otis - but mostly there he provides no dates whatsoever (the fact that the Otis turns up so early might mean Evensmo thinks it took place earlier than October 1945, the date given in the Hindsight set?)

It strikes me that Quinichette was long underrated. I suppose he was so much in the Lester Young style that he did not get the credit I believe he deserved.

Funny that while I quickly tired of all the tenor players who tried to sound like Coltrane, the followers of Pres were fine with me.

Brew Moore is another tenor man who did not get the credit I believe he should have received.

It strikes me that Quinichette was long underrated. I suppose he was so much in the Lester Young style that he did not get the credit I believe he deserved.

Funny that while I quickly tired of all the tenor players who tried to sound like Coltrane, the followers of Pres were fine with me.

Brew Moore is another tenor man who did not get the credit I believe he should have received.

I believe our Mr. Kart wrote an elaborate explanation of why that might be so, no?

Question for those that know better than me ... have been revisiting the great Hindsight 3CD set "Big Band Jazz – The Jubilee Sessions, 1943–1946" recently ... and lo and behold, there's a great honking Quinichette solo on the one Johnny Otis track included, "J.T. Stomp".

But now ... the tenor player on the Elmer Fain track "Stampede in G Minor" sounds, to my ears, most similar. For Fain though, no line up is provided at all. Date given is "August 1944" (Jubilee 94). He plays a whole run of Vice Pres' pet licks, the tone and phrasing sounds perfectly like Lady Q, too. Check out the solo entry at 1:07, then that slur upwards (it's repeated at the end of the first solo). When he re-enteres after the trumpet break, again, the entry (1:30-1:33) sounds very much like Quinichette.

Any other opinions there? Or has everyone known and I'm the last one to find out?

Evensmo, for one, doesn't list that track in his solography:

http://www.jazzarcheology.com/artists/paul_quinichette.pdf

He lists some other Jubilee sessions though, including the Otis - but mostly there he provides no dates whatsoever (the fact that the Otis turns up so early might mean Evensmo thinks it took place earlier than October 1945, the date given in the Hindsight set?)

anyone?

takes ten minutes - and I'd really appreciate opinions!

It´s strange, Paul Quinichette is one of the few musicians I never really got acquainted to. Only the fact, that he´s one of those Lestorian tenorists, cannot be the Point, since I got to listen to much Brew Moore and Zoot Sims. But maybe, because it came from another corner. As a "Birdwatcher" I looked for all unussued Bird and found some bop sessions with Brew, and was quite fascinated that he can play with that fast company without ever changing a note of his Lester Young stuff.

Same with Zoot, being into all those Prestige sessions, Trane, Hank and everybody, I got to listen to him on "Tenor Conclave" and loved it. Great Player.

Maybe, Quinichette was not very much involved with the kind of Music or the artists I frequently listen to......

Just stumbled on this thread...by coincidence I have been digging Paul's work a lot lately. I don't want to sound blasphemous or anything, but, I kinda prefer Quinichette's playing to Prez's. I dig Lester, but Paul's sound is a bit more edgy and contemporary sounding. Take his work with Trane! Not sure it would've ever been Young's bag, but PQ steps up and bats home runs in this context! And PQ ALWAYS surrounds himself with great musicians to play with. I think he's got a lot going for himself without the continual comparison to Lester Young. A very soulful plaer in his own right!

• 2 years later...

Whenever I play Quinichette, I think: "Why don't I play this guy more?" Though apparently he didn't mind the "Vice Pres" tag, I think ultimately it takes away from his own inventiveness as a soloist. He's no clone, that's for sure.

Anyone know Quinichette's set-up from that photo? Is that a King or Conn tenor? And is that a Buscher mouthpiece?