Henry Red Allen

Late

I have a few discs with Red Allen on them, but I still feel like I don't really "know" this guy's work. What are some of your favorite Allen LPs/CDs? What do you consider representative?

Oh yes — if anyone has a jpeg for Henry Red Allen Plays King Oliver, I'd love to see the original cover. Thanks!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the RCA recording from the 50s with Coleman Hawkins, Cozy Cole, etc. It swings and the sound his good so you get to hear Red's sound. It came out on cd as "World On A String." It shouldn't be too hard to find. On RCA vinyl it was "Ride, Red, Ride."

Also the 1932 sides with Billy Banks Rythmakers are very hot. Red, Fats, Waller, PeeWee Russell, Eddie Condon, Gene Krupa...........!!! There's a classics cd with all of them on it. Under Billy Banks name.

Really, just start getting whatever you can find. The JSP set is definitely another one to get.

Red is one of those people that If I see something I don't have - I get it.

Edited by Harold_Z

Don't miss the Luis Russell, Henderson (Fletcher and Horace) or Mills Blue Rhythm sides.

Mr Allen is one of my "desert island" artists.

I forgot to mention his contributions to the Spike Hughes "american" sessions.

D'oh! I forgot I had Allen on the Russell and Hughes discs I have ... :blush:

Will spin those tomorrow after I'm done celebrating Ben Webster's birthday.

What I particularly like are his early 40s recordings with the small band co-led with J.C. Higginbotham. The way he plays circles around Lucky Millinder's "Ride Red Ride", for example (showing off in the process how much more cumbersome a trombone was compared to a trumpet by the playing standards of that time) is a gas!

I just heard Rosetta and Body and Soul on the radio this morning and I couldn't tell who was playing it. We have a local radio station run by a museum that plays all kinds of obscure old music but never tells who's playing! It sounded like Armstrong to me but I knew it wasn't him by the singing. So I looked through allmusic.com and figured out it was Henry Red Allen! I really enjoyed those two cuts and the sax player who I think was Chu Berry? I'm going to have to pick up some of his records.

I just heard Rosetta and Body and Soul on the radio this morning and I couldn't tell who was playing it. We have a local radio station run by a museum that plays all kinds of obscure old music but never tells who's playing! It sounded like Armstrong to me but I knew it wasn't him by the singing. So I looked through allmusic.com and figured out it was Henry Red Allen! I really enjoyed those two cuts and the sax player who I think was Chu Berry? I'm going to have to pick up some of his records.

are they on the web?------my kind of music!

i love my impulse lp from the early 60's-the college concert with red allen(red's last, i think) and pee wee russell, charlie haden, steve kuhn, and marty morell. cant remember what college, though.

i greatly enjoyed red's vocals, too.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

are they on the web?

Great session with Dicky Wells and Chu Berry. I have it on

CLC_551.jpg

Oh yes — if anyone has a jpeg for Henry Red Allen Plays King Oliver, I'd love to see the original cover. Thanks!

The cover is reproduced (in miniature) in the booklet of the Verve 2-fer called "Swing Trumpet Kings".

Don't know another source at the moment.

I think it would have been fun to hear Red playing with Monk.

Yep, here's the link.

Now that Mosaic has gone into single album releases, they should reissue the Columbia session 'Feeling Good'. What a superb LP this was! One of the most inventive trumpet playing ever. It was a 1965 live quartet date (with Sammy Price, Bennie Moten and drummer George Reed):

026430.jpg

Edited by brownie

Now that Mosaic has gone into single album releases, they should reissue the Columbia session 'Feeling Good'. What a superb LP this was! One of the most inventive trumpet playing ever. It was a 1965 live quartet date (with Sammy Price, Bennie Moten and drummer George Reed):

026430.jpg

With the famous quote from Don Ellis at the top of the LP !

Yep, here's the link.

a belated thanks!

Am I the only person to think Red and Monk would have been wonderful?

Could be - it happened before when I tried to put together a duo session with Earl Hines and Ruby Braff. Stanley Dance and Dan Morgenstern told me I was out of my mind. I still regret taking their advise.

I definitly think Red and Monk would have been wonderful. How could it not be?

Ruby and Earl would have beeb great to hear too.

Too bad neither encounter occured.

I wonder if Red could have sat in with Monk at Minton's? Certainly seems like a possiblity.