Chronological Classics next batch

FrancoisD

The following new issues from Chronological Classics appear on the FNAC website with a release date of April 23:

1430 THELONIOUS MONK 1951-52

1431 SIDNEY BECHET 1952 (VOL.2)

1432 DUKE ELLINGTON 1953

1433 GENE KRUPA 1953-54

1434 JOE BUSHKIN 1940-46

Not an exceedingly interesting batch (I wish they could have dispensed with the Monk album, I suppose most collectors already have those classic Blue Note and Prestige sessions), but it's good to see this series reappear at last, after a year-long hiatus.

Yes, I saw on worldsrecords.com that this batch finally is coming out. It was supposed to come out in May 2006 but then Classics had another long hiatus. I feared that we had seen the last batch, but I'm very glad that that isn't the case. Do you have any info about about what has been behind this long second hiatus or this sudden reappearance of the label?

As for the batch, well, the Monk is readily available of course, and the Ellington material was on the now OOP Capitol Mosaic, but what I've heard from the Krupa small group recordings for Clef from these years really is excellent, with many fine sidemen, and Bechet is a jazz giant, who admittedly recorded a lot during his final decade, but always on a high level. I'm not familiar with the Bushkin material but that may be another case of Classics making available rare material that not many have heard in a long time.

Anyway, I'm glad that the label continues and am looking forward to future batches. Woody Herman's 1941-44 Decca recordings, and Charlie Barnet's post-1940 recordings are some of the things I want to see.

• 4 weeks later...

It was good to see the latest batch from Classics reappear in the Paris stores!

Waiting for the next batch now!

And according to fnac.com the next batch is:

Stan Getz 1954

Benny Goodman 1949-1951

Slim Gaillard 1951-1953

Benny Carter 1954

Charlie Barnet 1949 Vol. 2 (sic; should be 1940)

The release date is June, so either the earlier monthly schedule has slowed down, or May will see more reprints of OOP titles instead.

• 5 years later...

I just got an e-mail from Worldsrecords that indicates that the Classics label will be revived. Not (yet?) with new titels but reissues of previously available Classics.

On another note, in our Coming Soon section, we would like to reintroduce the Classics label. Artists include: Teddy Hill, James P. Johnson, Albert Ammons, Al Hibbler, and a couple of other artists. Classics will be releasing more titles over the following months. These coming soon Classics label items can be viewed here.

I just got an e-mail from Worldsrecords that indicates that the Classics label will be revived. Not (yet?) with new titels but reissues of previously available Classics.

On another note, in our Coming Soon section, we would like to reintroduce the Classics label. Artists include: Teddy Hill, James P. Johnson, Albert Ammons, Al Hibbler, and a couple of other artists. Classics will be releasing more titles over the following months. These coming soon Classics label items can be viewed here.

Very interesting! Many titles are quite rare and pricey today or even impossible to get. Would be great if they also continued with new titles.

(it's bootlegs, so no links please)

Remember even according to the new EU regulations anything recorded and first released prior to late 1961 remains in the P.D. in Europe and even by U.S. standards anything recorded prior to early 1943 (currently) is P.D. in the U.S. (70 years!). And even a 1943 cutoff date covers quite a lot of those "Chronogical" ;) platters.

In short, most of the swing era definitely has gone P.D. by now. ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Remember even according to the new EU regulations anything recorded and first released prior to late 1961 remains in the P.D. in Europe and even by U.S. standards anything recorded prior to early 1943 (currently) is P.D. in the U.S. (70 years!). And even a 1943 cutoff date covers quite a lot of those "Chronogical" ;) platters.

I know ... I was just having a joke on forum rule # something (which I do understand, but it continues to lead to absurd situations).

I thought the US copyright was now for 90 years but before I posted this I Googled US Copyright Laws for recordings but this website:

http://www.pdinfo.com/Copyright-Law/Public-Domain-Sound-Recordings.php

claims that no US recordings will become PD before 2067!

Also found on Amazon, release date January 29:

Ethel Waters 1929-1931

James P. Johnson 1938-1942

James P. Johnson 1921-1928

Ethel Waters 1921-1923

James P. Johnson 1943-1944

John Kirby 1939-1941

James P. Johnson 1944 vol. 2

Or better yet, use the Amazon click through function to aid Organissimo.

Are any of these releases essential?

Also found on Amazon, release date January 29:

Ethel Waters 1929-1931

James P. Johnson 1938-1942

James P. Johnson 1921-1928

Ethel Waters 1921-1923

James P. Johnson 1943-1944

John Kirby 1939-1941

James P. Johnson 1944 vol. 2

Or better yet, use the Amazon click through function to aid Organissimo.

Are any of these releases essential?

For me James P. Johnson.

Looking forward to see more of the Classics series! Would be great to get new releases as well. Wonder if the Blues & Rhythm series will be revived too?

I was wondering that myself, but some of their latter releases were pretty obscure. Maybe they've run out of good material?

MG