Goodbye Tonic

7/4

activists are planning yet another rally against the totally bogus real-estate conditions that forced indie concert hall Tonic to close this past weekend.

I'll admit I haven't been following this story closely -- what are "the totally bogus real-estate conditions"?

guy

A huge (and inceredibly ugly) condo was erected right next to Tonic (actually condos went up on both sides, but the big blue one on the corner is more relevant to this story). In the course of contruction, the basement to Tonic was structurally damaged. The condo owners then supposedly reported to the city that Tonic's basement was unsafe, and it was condemned. Meanwhile, Tonic's landlord upped the rent from $5K to $10K, which is far more than the upstairs of Tonic alone could support. Now the building that Tonic was in will likely be demolished to make room for more condos.

FUCKIN' BULLSHIT!!!

What can we do here to help the cause? Write Bloomberg? what?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

activists are planning yet another rally against the totally bogus real-estate conditions that forced indie concert hall Tonic to close this past weekend.

I'll admit I haven't been following this story closely -- what are "the totally bogus real-estate conditions"?

guy

A huge (and inceredibly ugly) condo was erected right next to Tonic (actually condos went up on both sides, but the big blue one on the corner is more relevant to this story). In the course of contruction, the basement to Tonic was structurally damaged. The condo owners then supposedly reported to the city that Tonic's basement was unsafe, and it was condemned. Meanwhile, Tonic's landlord upped the rent from $5K to $10K, which is far more than the upstairs of Tonic alone could support. Now the building that Tonic was in will likely be demolished to make room for more condos.

FUCKIN' BULLSHIT!!!

What would your goal be?

guy

That's messed up. I'd assumed they were just complaining about rising rents in the neighborhood.

Guy

guy

FUCKIN' BULLSHIT!!!

What would your goal be?

Actually a city counsel leader just held a press conference introducing legislation that would give landlords a tax break for renting commercial space to small music venues (which would theoretically make them willing to give such spaces a break on the rent). As I understand it, this is largely in reaction to the closing of Tonic.

BTW, if you are looking for an apt in NYC, you can now live in the blue building next to Tonic (still not a great area) for as little as $7800 a month:

http://www.siroffices.com/brokerages/manha...plash=manhattan

There is also a penthouse available for sale at around $4 million.

Let's hope there's a property crash in NYC to sort out these muthas !

who knows....maybe the Knitting Factory is next.

The Knitting Factory is 90% lame indie-rock shows now anyway, but I do suppose the city is better off with it open than not.

I know, but it could be next.

It was strange being in the East Village.

NYC, the city without a musical soul.

edited for dramatic effect.

Edited by 7/4

dude, it will be next, or not too long down the road. no loss at this point but... still. if you want to keep in stay in the game 7/4 you need to make some connections w/some of younger people in Brooklyn. they probably don't know all that much about your world(s) but intuitively they have interest in some of the same territories. GOOD thing about being younger is they don't quite know what all they've lost so they're inventing new shit + some of 'em have money... it's gonna be (further) extension of early '70s loft era again & a longer haul for you but that is just the fucking way it goes... Harlem is never gonna happen, it's either Latino or incipient yuppie, Bronx will never be viable for non-Latino musics either... ALTHOUGH--

you know how some dopey "fancy" department stores would have live cocktail pianists?

maybe you can get sound sculpture gigs at one of the jillion fucking BANKS that have brought so much life to the streets & $$$ to the people.

Only if it's the World Financial Institute and I get some of that {grant} money.

or, i dunno, start something in Bayonne or Elizabeth (if even that's possible).

I almost started something here in Rahway, then I was overwhelmed by other issues. We'll see about the future.

There probably are some gigs in Brooklyn in the future. It's not like I haven't played there before.