Terry Riley

7/4

I guess for Tzadik if you are Jewish - you're radical, and if you are radical - you're Jewish.

I'm still confused about that, however I have a copy of Aleph and gave a spin to disk one. Very interesting synth improv, further listening today.

Edited by 7/4

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terry Riley’s minimalist Keyboard Study No. 1, also named Coule, was composed around the same time as his seminal In C, and appeared on the program of the latter work’s premiere concert produced by the San Francisco Tape Music Center in November 1964. Both works grow out of Riley’s experimentation with electronic tape delays. Their scores comprise collections of short phrases to be performed with indefinite repetition and in recombination with one another. According to an interview with Riley in the invaluable book on the Tape Music Center, co-published in 2008 by EMPAC and UC Press, the keyboard study was apparently played on the piano by Riley himself – not a simple task since the motifs interlock in a manner that is awkward to execute on a single keyboard. This evening’s performance on accordion separates the hands conveniently, and is enhanced by the resonance and sustaining power of that instrument.

• 1 year later...

Now here's a group coxing a real groove out of that piece, at last - perhaps that's what he had in mind? European classical musicians always give rather stiff and unsensual renditions.

Edited by mikeweil

Terry Riley’s minimalist Keyboard Study No. 1, also named Coule, was composed around the same time as his seminal In C, and appeared on the program of the latter work’s premiere concert produced by the San Francisco Tape Music Center in November 1964. Both works grow out of Riley’s experimentation with electronic tape delays. Their scores comprise collections of short phrases to be performed with indefinite repetition and in recombination with one another. According to an interview with Riley in the invaluable book on the Tape Music Center, co-published in 2008 by EMPAC and UC Press, the keyboard study was apparently played on the piano by Riley himself – not a simple task since the motifs interlock in a manner that is awkward to execute on a single keyboard. This evening’s performance on accordion separates the hands conveniently, and is enhanced by the resonance and sustaining power of that instrument.

Now here's a group coxing a real groove out of that piece, at last - perhaps that's what he had in mind? European classical musicians always give rather stiff and unsensual renditions.

Out on 'mastered for' iTunes now. LP release in January. No cd that I can see. Sounds pretty good played via a B&W T7.

• 2 months later...

amazing version of In C, exceeded my expectations,

'Africa Express Presents... Terry Riley's In C Mali' (video)

I've listened to this a few times now and love the first 20 minutes or so. But I think that the subsequent 'pulseless' vocal section is misconceived and when the pulse returns it is indistinct resulting in the sound becoming more generic African jam, less Terry Riley.

Edited by ornette

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...