• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

A point I've been making for years:

More Than Just Minimalism: Making His Melodies With Some Extra Influences

But when Mr. Riley appeared at that club on Sunday night, “In C” was the furthest thing from the agenda. What became clear during the performance — which also featured Mr. Riley’s son, the guitarist and composer Gyan Riley; Tracy Silverman, an electric-violinist; and Ches Smith, a percussionist — was just how poorly the Minimalist label suits Mr. Riley now.

more...

• 4 months later...

i just heard "a rainbow in curved air" and i am slack jawed! This is an AMAZING piece. If you have not heard this you need to do so...NOW!

:excited:

that's so true.

Blown way - i am BLOWN AWAY!!!!!

try Shri Camel next.

"Process Music" always explained what Reich, Glass and (to a lesser degree) Riley were doing. Riley was the only one to include improvisation in that process (coming-to-awareness of additive and entropic shifts).

Within a few years of writing In C, he abandoned notation and stuck to improvisation for many years. He association with Kronos Qt in the '80s brought him back to notated composition.

Last month, I heard this hippy-shit cum beat (off) dream thing that he's shopping around

called Autodreamographical Tales. Man, what a real disappointment (to put it mildly).

I really think that he's spread himself way too thin over the years.

It's OK to say "NO" Terry when they come bangin' on their tin cans.

...agree with David: try Shri Camel (if you're not averse to "unusual" tunings)

and I still love the early, but recently re-released (ca. 3 years ago), recordings of

Les Yeux Fermes & Lifespan on a single disc.

A bit harder to find, Persian Surgery Dervishes is another natural step off of the Rainbow....

Last month, I heard this hippy-shit cum beat (off) dream thing that he's shopping around

called Autodreamographical Tales. Man, what a real disappointment (to put it mildly).

I really think that he's spread himself way too thin over the years.

It's OK to say "NO" Terry when they come bangin' on their tin cans.

Haven't heard that one yet. His later work is hit and miss.

...agree with David: try Shri Camel (if you're not averse to "unusual" tunings)

and I still love the early, but recently re-released (ca. 3 years ago), recordings of

Les Yeux Fermes & Lifespan on a single disc.

A bit harder to find, Persian Surgery Dervishes is another natural step off of the Rainbow....

Yep...then try the other organ & keyboard music.

Haven't heard that one yet. His later work is hit and miss.

Hold yer nose

I can't get it to play right now.

I'm listening now. Yeah....real spotty. Atlantis Nath was not as good as I expected it to be, the Chris Harvey cover was beautiful though.

Banana Humberto was a complete disappointment.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

not lately...I'll try it again this week.

I was thinking of getting a copy of the new one on Tzadik. It's probably the only album that doesn't have In C that I don't have.

TerryRileyAutodreamographicalTales.jpg

Autodreamographical Tales

One of the most influential musicians on the planet, Terry Riley is the father of both minimalism and the downtown scene, having incorporated improvisation into his work from as far back as the early 1960s. This project, a musical dream diary, was created in 1996 and features Terry playing and telling stories from his unconscious. Coupled with his legendary Hook Lecture from Sydney, Australia, Autodreamographical Tales is unique in the Riley discography—a CD of spoken word with music. Incredibly evocative musical backgrounds highlight these strange stories read with eloquence and panache by one of most important musical figures of the late 20th century. At 75, still writing and performing with incredible power, magic and love, Terry Riley remains THE MAN—the hippest, coolest cat around.

Personnel:

Terry Riley: Piano, All Instruments, Voice

• 1 month later...

not lately...I'll try it again this week.

I was thinking of getting a copy of the new one on Tzadik. It's probably the only album that doesn't have In C that I don't have.

TerryRileyAutodreamographicalTales.jpg

Autodreamographical Tales

One of the most influential musicians on the planet, Terry Riley is the father of both minimalism and the downtown scene, having incorporated improvisation into his work from as far back as the early 1960s. This project, a musical dream diary, was created in 1996 and features Terry playing and telling stories from his unconscious. Coupled with his legendary Hook Lecture from Sydney, Australia, Autodreamographical Tales is unique in the Riley discography—a CD of spoken word with music. Incredibly evocative musical backgrounds highlight these strange stories read with eloquence and panache by one of most important musical figures of the late 20th century. At 75, still writing and performing with incredible power, magic and love, Terry Riley remains THE MAN—the hippest, coolest cat around.

Personnel:

Terry Riley: Piano, All Instruments, Voice

I just heard this and enjoyed it very much! The almost ten minute long "Ebony Horns" is outstanding!!!

:excited:

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I heard there's a new album coming out on Tzadik:

Radical Jewish Culture

Terry Riley: Aleph [#8167]

Maestro Terry Riley returns to the transcendent brilliance of his mprovisatory All Night Flights from the 1970s in this spectacular two-hour solo performance for just intonation keyboard. Originally created for the Aleph-Bet Sound Project that John Zorn organized for the Contemporary Jewish Museum in San Francisco, the music has been sitting in Terry’s archives for years and now finally sees the light of day in all its glorious entirety. Recorded at Terry’s private studio at Moonshine Ranch at Midnight, the music captures a magically mystical vibe, timeless, meditative and entrancing. A modern classic from the godfather of minimalism who continues to surprise and challenge us with each new release.

(clears throat) I don't think Terry is Jewish.

But this sounds very interesting, I was told it will be released at the end of this month, Jan. 2012.

There's also a Terry & Gyan Riley album that came out last year, but I never got my ears on a copy.