Toshiba Blue Notes for $10.00

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We well know what the TOCJ are - can anyone tell me what the CJ28 and CP32 are??

CP32 and CJ28 (CP32 was 3200 yen, CJ28 2800 yen) are the second (CP32) and later Japanese Blue Note CD issues from the 1980s. The CP32 series was released in 1985 if I remember correctly, the CJ28 series in 1988. As far as I know both series generally have Ron McMaster's masterings.

Edited by J.A.W.

We well know what the TOCJ are - can anyone tell me what the CJ28 and CP32 are??

CP32 and CJ28 (CP32 was 3200 yen, CJ28 2800 yen) are the second (CP32) and later Japanese Blue Note CD issues from the 1980s. The CP32 series was released in 1985 if I remember correctly, the CJ28 series in 1988. As far as I know both series generally have Ron McMaster's masterings.

Thanks for the warning!

Forgot to mention that the CP35 series from 1982/1983 (if I remember correctly) contained the first Japanese EMI CD issues, but there were only a few Blue Notes in that series. They seem to have been mastered in Japan and they're very expensive nowadays.

:excl:

Again, as far as I know most, if not all of these Japanese CP32 and CJ28 CDs are straight reissues of the 1980s American CDs with Ron McMaster's masterings.

I e-mailed ejazzlines about this and they confirmed that almost all CP32 and CJ28 CDs have Ron McMaster's masterings.

Edited by J.A.W.

The TOCJ-66XXX series Freddie Redd "Redd's Blues" and Tina Brooks "Waiting Game" are hard to find 24-bit remasters from around 1999, in regular jewel cases.

The 4000 and 4100 series TOCJs are 16-bit remasters.

The 4200 and 4300 series TOCJs are 20-bit remasters.

The TOCJ-66XXX series Freddie Redd "Redd's Blues" and Tina Brooks "Waiting Game" are hard to find 24-bit remasters from around 1999, in regular jewel cases.

The 4000 and 4100 series TOCJs are 16-bit remasters.

The 4200 and 4300 series TOCJs are 20-bit remasters.

The "Blue Note Works" TOCJ-15XX and TOCJ-16XX series are also 20-bit remasters.

Edited by J.A.W.

Please note most are Sample copy's. Not that it is a problem but just to let you know. ALso some are not new and sealed and are missing obi's (like I care.....)

Like Reinier indicated, sample copies are just as good as the regular ones.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the TOCJ 5300 and 5900 series? For instance, I see The Birth of the Cool available as both TOCJ-5301 and TOCJ-5903. Similarly, there are three different TOCJ-5000's for Modern Art by Art Pepper.

Also, are any of the TOCJ series remastered by Ron McMaster?

Thanks!

Also, are any of the TOCJ series remastered by Ron McMaster?

The "Blue Note Works" TOCJ-15XX, TOCJ-16XX, TOCJ-40XX, TOCJ-41XX, TOCJ-42XX and TOCJ-43XX series were all mastered by Toshiba engineers, not by McMaster.

Edited by J.A.W.