Toshiba Blue Notes for $10.00

Also, are any of the TOCJ series remastered by Ron McMaster?

The "Blue Note Works" TOCJ-15XX, TOCJ-16XX, TOCJ-40XX, TOCJ-41XX, TOCJ-42XX and TOCJ-43XX series were all mastered by Toshiba engineers, not by McMaster.

I just dug a couple out - TOCJ1610 & 1612 - 1610 says "tape transfers by Tony Sestanovich". I thought he was a BN/EMI man. 1612 doesn't say anything.

MG

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "Blue Note Works" TOCJ-15XX, TOCJ-16XX, TOCJ-40XX, TOCJ-41XX, TOCJ-42XX and TOCJ-43XX series were all mastered by Toshiba engineers, not by McMaster.

I just dug a couple out - TOCJ1610 & 1612 - 1610 says "tape transfers by Tony Sestanovich". I thought he was a BN/EMI man. 1612 doesn't say anything.

MG

Some tape transfers may have been done by American engineers, but I was repeatedly told by several contacts that the mastering of all Japanese "Blue Note Works" CDs was done by Japanese Toshiba engineers.

Edited by J.A.W.

MG

Some tape transfers may have been done by American engineers, but I was repeatedly told by several contacts that the mastering of all Japanese "Blue Note Works" CDs was done by Japanese Toshiba engineers.

Is that something different, then? I thought that mastering was what it meant.

MG

MG

Is that something different, then? I thought that mastering was what it meant.

MG

As I understand it tape transfers are done flat, without EQ-ing and/or other manipulations, which are done during mastering. But hey, I'm no expert, on the contrary.

There are people on this forum who can explain it much better.

Edited by J.A.W.

Thanks, Hans.

These things are really flying off of the shelves, so if there is something that you are considering purchasing, I suggest that you order it as quickly as possible.

by the way, the difference you asked about concerning the tocj-5000 series is that those catalog numbers represent non blue note label material... after reissuing a good part of the best of the blue note catalog, toshiba began releasing material from other labels (mastered by their own engineers).

by the way, the difference you asked about concerning the tocj-5000 series is that those catalog numbers represent non blue note label material... after reissuing a good part of the best of the blue note catalog, toshiba began releasing material from other labels (mastered by their own engineers).

Thanks, for the informative response. Would you happen to know, though, the difference, if any, between different 5XXX releases of the same title? For instance, Birth of the Cool was reissued as both 5301 and 5953.

without my collection near, i know that tocj-5953 was issued in 1995, has 12 tracks (as opposed to the 25 track "complete birth of the cool"), and was remastered by toshiba engineers.

hopefully that helps...

ps: tocj-5301 was issued in 1989 and is certainly one of the earlier (if not earliest) of cd issues in japan.

pps: trivia: tocj-5302 was june christy's "something cool".

Edited by etherbored

ps: tocj-5301 was issued in 1989 and is certainly one of the earlier (if not earliest) of cd issues in japan.

I take it you mean that's one of the earlier (if not earliest) of CD issues of that particular title.

The earliest EMI Japan CDs were released in 1982. They had the prefix CP35 for popular titles and CC38 for classical CDs and the prices were 3500 and 3800 yen.. The second batch, with prefix CP32, is from 1985.

without my collection near, i know that tocj-5953 was issued in 1995, has 12 tracks (as opposed to the 25 track "complete birth of the cool"), and was remastered by toshiba engineers.

hopefully that helps...

pps: trivia: tocj-5302 was june christy's "something cool".

Thanks for the clarification. Since these reissues appear to have been remastered by Toshiba engineers, I know all that I need.

I take it you mean that's one of the earlier (if not earliest) of CD issues of that particular title.

no hans; my dutch is no good. i mean to say that it was the first compact disc ever manufactured... :mellow:

ya, i believe it to be *one of*, if not *the first* appearance of 'birth of the cool' on disc in japan. iow, probably best avoiding that tocj-5301.

I know what Chuck is talking about.

It took me YEARS to find Volume Two of Kenny Dorham and the Jazz Prophets; I barely slept a wink the whole time.

It was worth the wait.

Bertrand.

I have mastered the art of resisting this compulsion. It took many years.

When you can snatch the pebble from my hand etc.