Toshiba Blue Notes for $10.00

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I missed this until now, but there's little left of interest . My first BN purchase in any format was in 1987 was Cannonball Adderley's , Somethin Else CP32-5205, no reference to Ron McMaster but it's produced by MC. I've always thought it sounded fantastic musically and sonically.

Got 5 of the 6 I ordered. Hank Mobley Quartet was not shipped and that was the main reason for the order.

Ejazzlines told me via E-mail that they got 6 orders for that one copy of Hank Mobley Quartet in about 30 seconds. I missed it too. So far, I've only missed two titles. They are pretty quick to update their on-line inventory, just not immediate. It's too bad they can't make the inventory live. There's nothing worse than sitting back and thinking you got your order in to get that title you wanted, only to find out it was already bought. Drives me crazy.

FWIW, the Euclid Records website is even worse than this. I've bought stuff from their website and seen the title listed for weeks afterward. I recently E-mailed them to tell them how frustrating it was and they said they're planning to update it soon. I hope so. Great selection, good prices and excellent customer service

Got 5 of the 6 I ordered. Hank Mobley Quartet was not shipped and that was the main reason for the order.

Ejazzlines told me via E-mail that they got 6 orders for that one copy of Hank Mobley Quartet in about 30 seconds. I missed it too. So far, I've only missed two titles. They are pretty quick to update their on-line inventory, just not immediate. It's too bad they can't make the inventory live. There's nothing worse than sitting back and thinking you got your order in to get that title you wanted, only to find out it was already bought. Drives me crazy.

Is that the March 27, 1955 quartet session that was released on CJ28-5128 you're talking about? A great CD! I managed to find a copy last year. It's a McMaster, by the way. The session's on the Mobley Mosaic, of course.

Edited by J.A.W.

Is that the March 27, 1955 quartet session that was released on CJ28-5128 you're talking about? A great CD! I managed to find a copy last year. It's a McMaster, by the way. The session's on the Mobley Mosaic, of course.

Yes, I have a 10" lp and the Mosaic (with extras) but wanted the single cd so I could "dump" the box.

Yes, I have a 10" lp and the Mosaic (with extras) but wanted the single cd so I could "dump" the box.

was this EVER released as a TOCJ - XXXX? other than in JRVG form. that's one fantastic disc you never see.

The CJ28 does have all the extras. I recently sold the box.

was this EVER released as a TOCJ - XXXX? other than in JRVG form. that's one fantastic disc you never see.

No, the CJ28 was the only single CD release of that session prior to the JRVG.

Edited by J.A.W.

Broke down and ordered Tony Williams "Spring", Wayne Shorter "Supernova", and Kenny Drew "Talkin' and Walkin'".

I am weak. Wasn't gonna do this, this time.

edit - Just went back and caught the comment that the CP32's and CJ28's are McMaster editions. Wonder if I should cancel this order and just seek out domestic editions...

Edited by Aggie87

Regarding that "Hank Mobley Quartet" of which only one copy was available, that copy appears to be up for auction at e-bay right now (not my listing and I am not advertising for it). It must be the same copy because it is marked as a "sample."

I have the jewel case version of this one, lucked out a few years ago on e-bay. It is a very scarce CD obviously, a Japanese only reissue and not likely to turn up in a legitimate reissue soon, or ever, given the existence of the Mobley box set. I suppose it may be reissued in Japan at some point.

I find it disquieting to see it on e-bay so soon after the notification on this board regarding the sale. Someone else on the offering board mentioned the fact that he is reluctant to offer his rare CD's on this board because he then sees them offered on e-bay.

I have gotten a few cd's from board members (such as Allen Lowe) before I even joined the board. Years ago, I had traded with John Felser at the old Jazz Trading Post. As a collector, I appreciate not only the offerings but the commentary appearing within this topic as well as reissues. I primarily collect rare jazz books and have advised others (including members of this board) how to list books on e-bay to get the best bids.

That said, if one wants to run a business, fine; just don't do it off a space devoted to collectors.

The other five people who wanted that CD probably did not want to make use of that cd's availability by flipping it.

And, yes, I know it is a free country/internet and that markets need to be efficient and if you can't afford the cd, don't bid on it.

That is my point on the transaction; just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

As a book collector, I remember the "labor of love" thread started by Brownie; and you, Chuck added the Art Ensemble of Chicago book, at title unknown to me at that time.

I acquired a copy from an antiquarian dealer at ABE (at a stiff price, but in loads better shape than the one someone on this forum obtained from Cadence in supposedly "new" but in reality heavily shop-worn, shape). That title is in my collection and I certainly didn't turn around and flip it on e-bay, or offer to others here at an even higher price.

I suppose if the original dealer had offered it for >$10, then perhaps less people would have bitten. Still, the seller did get five other sales from you.

I don't want to beat it to death, but the Mobley transaction left me a bit unsettled.

It seems the Blue Notes are frequently reissued in Japan, so hopefully this one will return so that others may have the opporunity.

Regards,

Baker

Regarding that "Hank Mobley Quartet" of which only one copy was available, that copy appears to be up for auction at e-bay right now (not my listing and I am not advertising for it). It must be the same copy because it is marked as a "sample."

I have the jewel case version of this one, lucked out a few years ago on e-bay. It is a very scarce CD obviously, a Japanese only reissue and not likely to turn up in a legitimate reissue soon, or ever, given the existence of the Mobley box set. I suppose it may be reissued in Japan at some point.

I find it disquieting to see it on e-bay so soon after the notification on this board regarding the sale. Someone else on the offering board mentioned the fact that he is reluctant to offer his rare CD's on this board because he then sees them offered on e-bay.

I have gotten a few cd's from board members (such as Allen Lowe) before I even joined the board. Years ago, I had traded with John Felser at the old Jazz Trading Post. As a collector, I appreciate not only the offerings but the commentary appearing within this topic as well as reissues. I primarily collect rare jazz books and have advised others (including members of this board) how to list books on e-bay to get the best bids.

That said, if one wants to run a business, fine; just don't do it off a space devoted to collectors.

The other five people who wanted that CD probably did not want to make use of that cd's availability by flipping it.

And, yes, I know it is a free country/internet and that markets need to be efficient and if you can't afford the cd, don't bid on it.

Nice post. I agree.

I find it disquieting to see it on e-bay so soon after the notification on this board regarding the sale. Someone else on the offering board mentioned the fact that he is reluctant to offer his rare CD's on this board because he then sees them offered on e-bay (THAT WOULD BE ME, YOURS TRULY)I have gotten a few cd's from board members (such as Allen Lowe) before I even joined the board. Years ago, I had traded with John Felser at the old Jazz Trading Post. As a collector, I appreciate not only the offerings but the commentary appearing within this topic as well as reissues. I primarily collect rare jazz books and have advised others (including members of this board) how to list books on e-bay to get the best bids.

For the record, I missed the Mobley as well because I was not up on all the Japanesse numbering issues and by the time I could get it clarified, it was long gone. I cancelled the rest of my order when I found that out!. I later did break down and purchase the Jim Hall which arrived quickly and in good condition.

I think we share similar opinions about using THIS board to further one's profit motive. It seems to me that several years ago I picked up some great sessions here for very reasonable prices. I have also sold to other board members(for simply my cost) some duplicate rare CDs that I have found, . It seems many here are no longer interested in furthering each others collections but, instead, use the board members as simply a source of supply for their businesses. I no longer like to post the hard to find cds I may run across because they are simply snapped up and sold on EBAY. I guess those board members think they are smarter than the rest of us. Surely they must know that EBAY is accessible to everyone here. After happening to me several times I started seeking trades. Sometime they work but often they do not. In the future I guess I will post them at ebay prices and entertain all offers. I miss the old days; it seems we passed the music around for the love of it, now we pass it around for the profit in it. I enjoy this board for what I learn about jazz from people who know much more about the subject than I. I too like to read the commentary offered by others.

I am sure this is what others here would refer to as "progress".....the Adam Smith doctrine and all of that. Still, it was nice thinking you might have 1000 extra pair of eyes helping you locate that one session that you just really "needed". :)

Hi Guys,

Yeah the Hank Mobley is indeed a great session (not to promote the eBay sale though). It was also issued in a Mini LP style CD in 2000 as a Japaneese Rudy van Gelder edition so it can't be that rare can it? I have the mini LP and I'm happy with that (the sound Q is excellent). Wasn't it also issued in the new TOCJ Toshiba 24-bit selection?? I'm not sure about that though.

Well soon enough it will certainly be a regular RVG. The pain is just to wait I know ;-)

I heartily agree that why "help" people make more money through eBay? Jazz is about love and not money. I never sell anything. If I have double copies (rarely) I tend to give them away to family and friends. However this guy aquired the CD's through the sale and not from some member here I guess - that would be worse I think. And that guy would get a bad reputation too very fast I guess.....The chance is that he/she saw the tip on the sale on this board. Maybe he did or maybe he did not?

The trade option as mentioned by Morganized is perhaps better but I understand that it can be hard to find the right trader and come to terms regarding the items especially if they are rare. Too bad if everything has to go to eBay and not be posted in this board which I look at most very day and I've bought some nice items directly from board members. Thankyou!

Just my 5 cents

/Shaft

It is very disappointung to see this, but not totally unexpected. These CDs are very rare and someone will always see profit first. Not everyone is as altruistic about this music as many of us here. Hell, I've sold several Mosaic boxes at face value to other board members knowing I could have tripled my money on eBay. :)

I have to admit that although I didn't buy any CDs to re-sell, I did buy several thinking that if I didn't like them, I would have no trouble re-selling them.

Quite frankly, anyone trying to earn a buck by flipping Jazz CDs on eBay in this rapidly declining market is doomed to failure, even if they initial outlay is $10 each. This seller's starting price for most of these titles is $20. I didn't buy them from ejazzlines at $10, why would I buy them at $20? :D

Later,

Kevin

I guess I don't see anything wrong with it. When you buy a cd or anything, unless the seller sold it to you at a cheap price, with the understanding that you wouldn't resell it on ebay, you have the right to do with it what you want.

Now, we may not like that, but that's just the way of the world. Maybe the buyer bought the Mobley to help finance other cds that he bought? There could be various explanations.