Silver's Serenade

Shrdlu

The recent arrival of the TOCJ of this album at my place has made me listen to it all again several times over the last week.

This album still sounds as interesting and enjoyable now as it did when I first heard the LP in the late 60s. It is the last full album by Horace's classic quintet with Blue and Junior. (Gene Taylor was also on all of them, but the drummers varied on the albums.) If you've never heard it, a treat is in store for you.

It's available as a 20 bit McMaster U.S. CD, and is a comparative rarety: a BN CD that is not in any of the various series. So there's no need to fork out for an import. (I think that Ron's mastering peaked in his 20 bit days.)

As usual with a Silver album, everything is perfect: it's well rehearsed without sounding over-rehearsed. Horace's LPs were usually made over two days, rather than the usual one, and it shows. It's "just right". And no out-takes, by Horace's request.

With Horace, the music is kinda elusive - you don't want to zoom closely into it; rather, just let it happen. There is little by way of surface brilliance and technical display by anyone, just a great feel and groove. No-one is even very inventive when it comes to "licks". Horace mainly strings together a bunch of quotes (including "Rocking In Rhythm") but it's just done so well. Neither of the horns is the greatest on his instrument, but they are still very good.

Above all, no-one else could have achieved what the guys did on this album.

I think the best thing I could say is that I never get tired of hearing it.

(The title track has special memories for me, as a pianist presented it to me to play long before I heard the LP. The opening chord is a minor ninth, but a major seventh was on the chart given to me! It never made any sense to me. Then, I got the LP and it all became as clear as a bell!)

Wonderful album - the title track still sounds to me one of the most laid-back and smooth performances of all time. Horace's albums always have that air of 'thoughtfull pre-planning and immaculate execution' about them.

Just looking through my video archive the other night there was a snippet shown by the BBC of 'Senor Blues' with what looks like the Blue Mitchell/Junior Cook lineup. Haven't a clue where or when this was recorded but it was sublime :)

Thanks for the bit of background.

Yes, this album helps me relax quite nicely. I really enjoy his skill at playing lovely solos(title track) than funky on the next track. Nice recipe for sucess in my book.

Always a good listen. :tup

Also, if you are still into vinyl, originals can be had for $20 or so. I got mine for $6.00 a year ago. Oh, never mind, vinyl is dead. :lol: