Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks - Pig Lib

AfricaBrass

f79139swzqs.jpg

I don't know if there are any Pavement fans around here. I wasn't really into them when they were around, but I've been listening to their albums quite a bit lately. I got their DVD "Slow Century" a couple months ago and that has gotten me more interested in what they were doing.

I picked up Pig Lib yesterday and I've been enjoying it. It's not as Pavement-like as Malkmus' first solo record. This seems to be more of a band record. It's a little more conventional but I really like it. So far my favorite tracks are 1% of One and Oysters.

I actually followed Pavement from their first EP "Demolition Plot J7". They were really popular on KUSF (SF's college radio station) when I was in high school. I just saw their old Drag City records on the wall in a record store downtown - after seeing the prices I was kicking myself for not having saved my own copies. They weren't the most original group, but they were my favorite underground rock group of the early 90s. That being said, I have to say that I've always been in that tiny minority that thought they went WAY downhill after S&E, and putting on S&E these days usually makes me feel like I'm getting old ("I used to listen to this?!??!?")

I'm looking forward to hearing this. I forgot it was being released so soon. I'll pick this up this week. Thanks for the reminder AB! Have you picked up the Slanted and Enchanted Luxe and Reduxe reissue yet?

I picked up the reissue a few months ago. It's a nice package. Truth be told, I never owned the cd until this version so I don't know if the remastering is an improvement or not.

I think my favorite Pavement album is Brighten the Corners. Maybe it's the fact that parts of it remind me of Syd Barrett era Pink Floyd.

I've been listening to Pig Lib for a couple days and I like it more and more. I hate to admit it, but I'm enjoying this more than Pavement. I was never a fan of Spiral Stairs' songs, so I don't have to skip over them. I'm also impressed by the guitar work on this new album. There are places where they get into the realm of Captain Beefheart with their playing. I've been listening to 1% of One over and over. I also like the song Animal Midnight. It's nice to see Malkmus going to a different place than Pavement.

As to Saint Vitus' question: I have no idea, but I haven't read anything or seen anything to make me think that this is the same fellow. Just a guess.

:rsmile:

J Larsen, I wasn't around from the beginning. In fact, a friend made me a mix tape with a bunch of Pavement in 99, the year they decided to call it quits. I have since snatched up most of their CDs. I can understand your waining interest in their music, as it drastically changed over the ten years they were together.

I love the early sound of Pavement, but I also love Brighten the Corners, even Terror Twilight! They all offer something different.

The S+E Luxe and Reduxe is so great because it includes live recordings from the era. I hope Matador continues with this trend and releases live recordings from each recording era.

I think I'll go out and buy Pig Lib today.

I never listened to Pavement and didn't even realize who Stephen Malkmus was, but this new album got a rave review in todays SF Chronicle (Review). The fact that they compared it to Fairport Convention and Television in the same sentence really grabbed my interest.

As AfrciaBrass sez, it is on EMusic, so I downloaded it and will give it a quality listen. If I like it, I will have to check out his other album and maybe some Pavement, too.

Edited by BFrank

i see that some copies of pig lib are being packaged with a 5 song bonus ep. my local cd shop is charging a few extra bucks for this version. has anybody listened to the ep? is it worth the extra money?

It don't think it should be priced higher with the 5 song ep. I thought all the initial copies had the ep. The extra tracks were okay. Most were live versions. I'd maybe pay a dollar or two extra for it, but I don't think you should have too. I just checked amazon.com and they have Pig Lib with the bonus cd having a list price of $16.98.

I keep mentioning this site, but if you want more live Stephen Malkmus, check out furthurnet.org - it's a file sharing program for live shows. they only allow trading of artists who allow it. They have a website with a forum and all the info you need.

Furthurnet

:rsmile:

Impossible, the new S&E package is really nice. I picked it up when it was released for the sake of nostalgia if nothing else. The extra material was all released as bootlegs or b-sides back in the day, but it's nice having the cd since I either sold, traded or lost those records a long time ago.

Also, I hear from an inside source that they will be giving the same treatment to Crooked Rain in 2004. 2005 might be a little more realistic considering how far the S&E reissue fell behind schedule.