diggin the new RVG Prestige series

Soul Stream

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have A/B'ed a few titles, and didn't notice an improvement. I really listened carefully, with volume compensation, as the new CDs sound a lot louder than the OJCs. At least one RVG (Yusef Lateef) has clipping bass sound, for that reason I prefer the OJC.

Apart from that the RVGs sound well balanced, like the OJCs. No strange mastering choices as on many early Blue Note RVGs (reduced stereo spread, treble boost).

The problem with this RVG series is that most of the OJCs already sound very good, and that the RVGs don't come close to other "audiophile" treatments of these albums (DCC, XRCD). As there are no additional tracks, there is little reason to upgrade.

Edited by Claude

What say I? Well I started out thinking they would be great and that it was a good idea to re-do some of this stuff, but now I would have to agree with Claude, when I have upgraded a "favorite", I haven't found that much of a improvement in sound quality, not as much as on some of the Blue Notes.

Also I think considering the amount of time people spend complaining about Blue Note's quality control, there hasn't been enough complaining about the quality control on this series or rather the lack of it. The "Saxophone Colossus" debacle and the European "Black Talk" and "Tenor Madness" missing liner notes,(but considering the "insights" some of the new liners provide this might not be a bad thing) and the not really that great selection of titles, I mean, what is the point of more Coltrane and Davis issues, both of them just had the same stuff re-issued in boxset form anyway.

I think it's good that a few titles that were hard to find are coming out, but in gereral I would give the series a :tdown at the moment

I guess I more or less come down with Claude and Cliff - for BN the series made sense, because the old issues generally sounded pretty bad and there was a lot of unreleased material. For the OJC catalog, the phrase "if it ain't broke don't fix it" comes to mind. But it is probably stirring up a few extra sales for them which was obviously the point to start with.

Well, I'll differ in that a) I've done some comparisons, loudness matched, and really think the RVGs ARE an upgrade for my ears in my system and b) I no longer give much of a flying flute about liner notes.

I have about five of the Prestige RVGs and like Mike I dig them. I'll probably get a few more.

Some people are going to be critical no matter what, others don't have equipment good enough to bother. Personally, while I don't find the Prestige RVG's as huge a revelation as the RVG Blue Notes, they are still coming out gnerally as the best representation for most titles. The Saxophone Colossus is not an upgrade over the XRCD, nor does it pale in comparison. The Burrel/Coltrane blows away the XRCD. The Lush Life is less bloated and artificially warm than the DCC and has far greater depth and timbral diversity. And so on.

The fact that the Earland, Lateef, McDuff and quite a few others were released at all is cause for big celebration. At this point in the domestic BN RVG series they were still sticking to rehashing warhorses for the boomer market.

All in all - keep them coming. Looking forward to the Roland Kirk and Tadd Dameron in May, maybe the Booker Ervin.

March 21, 2006

Gene Ammons –Boss Tenor

Kenny Burrell and John Coltrane – Kenny Burrell and John Coltrane

John Coltrane – Lush Life

Miles Davis – Relaxin’

Eric Dolphy – Out There

Kenny Dorham – Quiet Kenny

Red Garland – Red Garland’s Piano

Coleman Hawkins – The Hawk Relaxes

Modern Jazz Quartet – Danjo

Sonny Rollins – Saxophone Colossus

June 13, 2006

John Coltrane - Soultrane

Eddie Lockjaw Davis - Cookbook Vol. 1

Miles Davis - Walkin'

Etta Jones - Don't Go To Strangers

Jack McDuff - The Honeydripper

July 18, 2006

Mose Allison - Mose Allison Sings

Groove Holmes - Soul Message

Yusef Lateef - Eastern Sounds

Thelonious Monk and Sonny Rollins - Thelonious Monk and Sonny Rollins

Oliver Nelson - Screamin' The Blues

September 12, 2006

Miles Davis - Workin'

Eric Dolphy - Outward Bound

Charles Earland - Black Talk!

Coleman Hawkins - At Ease With Coleman Hawkins

Sonny Rollins - Tenor Madness

I have bought a few of these which I consider to be definite upgrades over the 20 bit K2s, however, one standout exception for me was Tenor Madness where I thought the RVG sound was rather harsh and I decided to keep the K2.

Thanks, I was just wondering about whether to upgrade some of the K2s....Tenor Madness being one of them.

I doubt there will be a lot more Concord/RvG's coming since Rudy doesn't like the Concord people he has to deal with. Luckily he's fond of MC so that channel won't be closed.

Hopefully, Rudy will continue to remaster these Prestige titles as they are certainly just as deserving as the Blue Notes are.

I doubt there will be a lot more Concord/RvG's coming since Rudy doesn't like the Concord people he has to deal with. Luckily he's fond of MC so that channel won't be closed.

Hopefully, Rudy will continue to remaster these Prestige titles as they are certainly just as deserving as the Blue Notes are.

Deserving of what? His initials on the packaging?

Guy

I think when Blue Note Cds initially came out, didn't sound very good. I like the more modern remastering for sure. Whether it's RVG or McMaster, ect. That said, I think OJC CDs have held up a lot better sonically. But yeah, I'm an RVG sucker I'll admit. Especially when it comes to my favorite sessions. As far as getting vinyl....i dig it on occassion for old times sake, but when it comes to sticking a CD on in the car or at home, nothing beats that kind of ease... :g ('cept the ipod and computer itunes...damn it!)

sidenote: been listening to Willie "Milkcow Blues" & whatever w/the guests (some excellent, some eh), Derek sounds

edc

Derek's a killer for sure. I just got off the phone with him. He plays with my organ trio quite a bit and was just on fire last weekend on my gig. He flys under the radar because he's such a humble and non flashy guy. I'll be playing with him this weekend and I'll tell him you dug the Milkcow session. As far as the guests go on that album...Derek didn't choose some of those (I'll leave you to guess which ones :g )