Sopranos

sal

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would think Paulie is the most obvious, but as you just mentioned they have never shown Paulie and Phil together, of course that could still happen. Originally I was thinking it may very well be more along the lines of Carmine Jr. as that someone.

When you look back it was Tony that set Phil up to be boss in the first place when he had Rusty killed at the request of New York and sided against Carmine.

Maybe he's not as dumb as everybody thinks and is setting himself up for a major move.

Then again....., maybe not.

As usual Tony went too far with his reaction on that incident with Meadow and now he will pay a huge price.

If the previews are to be believed, next week should be explosive.

Little Carmine as the manipulator. Makes a lot sense Chris.

I thought that Tony's reaction to the Meadow incident was realistic. Actually the guy is lucky he didn't get killed. It was a BIG violation of mob ethics to threaten or otherwise mess with family members that were "civilians". At least with the old timers. I think one of David Chase's points is these guys AREN'T like that. They'll do anything.

So I wondered if it was a set up - a machination by Phil to provake a reaction from Tony.

You would think Paulie is the most obvious, but as you just mentioned they have never shown Paulie and Phil together, of course that could still happen. Originally I was thinking it may very well be more along the lines of Carmine Jr. as that someone.

When you look back it was Tony that set Phil up to be boss in the first place when he had Rusty killed at the request of New York and sided against Carmine.

Maybe he's not as dumb as everybody thinks and is setting himself up for a major move.

Then again....., maybe not.

As usual Tony went too far with his reaction on that incident with Meadow and now he will pay a huge price.

If the previews are to be believed, next week should be explosive.

Little Carmine as the manipulator. Makes a lot sense Chris.

I thought that Tony's reaction to the Meadow incident was realistic. Actually the guy is lucky he didn't get killed. It was a BIG violation of mob ethics to threaten or otherwise mess with family members that were "civilians". At least with the old timers. I think one of David Chase's points is these guys AREN'T like that. They'll do anything.

So I wondered if it was a set up - a machination by Phil to provake a reaction from Tony.

You're correct on the fact that they would have never approached the daughter. Tony was right to some extent in saying he could have killed him and had full support. Still, Tony took it upon himself to knock the guy's teeth out and that was an over the top reaction considering the problems he has with New York. Having what happened to his daughter in his pocket would have given him a little ammunition while trying to work a deal with Phil. It would have been up to the Phil as the new boss to offer some kind of restitution and that may have been Tony's 15%.

actually, I think the daughter incident is a major plot-hole this year, a true error. Not just the threat but the sexual vulgarity would have justified Tony's actions in everyone's eyes, and there would have been no repercussions, in my opinion. Especially per Leotardo, who is Mr. "honor" and who would have been offended by the actions of his soldier. Tony would NEVER have admitted doing anything wrong -

Does anyone know the music that was playing over the final credits?

I thought it was interesting to see A.J. try to kill himself in the pool. Early in the first season, Tony waded into the pool in his robe, and his love of the geese that came to the pool was a major obsession. Much later he got back together with Carmella, after she had thrown him out, by having sex with her in the pool. Now if Meadow is drowned in the pool by Phil, that would complete the circle.

I thought that Paulie's two inappropriate comments were hilarious. After Tony almost bares his soul to the gang about his peyote mystical vision, then thinks better of it, Paulie tells a story about being dosed with acid at the Copa in 1968 and as Jerry Vale starts singing, he sees laser beams coming out of Junior's eyes.

Then after A.J. tries to kill himself, Paulie says that with all of the toxins out there, like mercury in the fish, it's a wonder more kids don't throw themselves off bridges--while Tony & Co. are dumping asbestos all over the New Jersey wetlands.

I thought it was interesting to see A.J. try to kill himself in the pool. Early in the first season, Tony waded into the pool in his robe, and his love of the geese that came to the pool was a major obsession. Much later he got back together with Carmella, after she had thrown him out, by having sex with her in the pool. Now if Meadow is drowned in the pool by Phil, that would complete the circle.

I thought that Paulie's two inappropriate comments were hilarious. After Tony almost bares his soul to the gang about his peyote mystical vision, then thinks better of it, Paulie tells a story about being dosed with acid at the Copa in 1968 and as Jerry Vale starts singing, he sees laser beams coming out of Junior's eyes.

Then after A.J. tries to kill himself, Paulie says that with all of the toxins out there, like mercury in the fish, it's a wonder more kids don't throw themselves off bridges--while Tony & Co. are dumping asbestos all over the New Jersey wetlands.

I don't think he said "eyes". :g

I don't think he said "eyes". :g

Then I heard it wrong. What did he say?

On the Howard Stern show this morning I heard a couple of interesting theories on a possibe ending.

1. The dream sequence when Tony was the salesman. In the end we are going to find out that was reality and this (events of the entire series) has all been something the salesman had as fantasy life/dream.

2. Tony is again back in a coma and everything from the accident with Christopher on, was a dream.

:g

Both huge stretches, but interesting thoughts nonetheless.

Does anyone know--in the Mob, what is the effect of a captain's child marrying the child of the head man? Does Patsy have a lot to gain if his son marries Meadow?

Marrying Tony's sister worked miracles for Bobby.

I would say it would be a positive for Patsy if Tony likes his son, more family connection and all.

But it didn't seem that Tony was all too thrilled about the relationship.

Does anyone know--in the Mob, what is the effect of a captain's child marrying the child of the head man? Does Patsy have a lot to gain if his son marries Meadow?

Marrying Tony's sister worked miracles for Bobby.

I would say it would be a positive for Patsy if Tony likes his son, more family connection and all.

Yeah, Tony seems to be a "facts & circumstance" kind of guy.

It might be because Tony ordered the hit on Patsy's brother and he has always wanted more for his daughter.

This relationship sucks Meadow into the Mob world forever, on some level. Tony certainly did not want that when he kept trying to keep the Aprile boy away from the Mob when he was dating Meadow.

It might be because Tony ordered the hit on Patsy's brother and he has always wanted more for his daughter.

This relationship sucks Meadow into the Mob world forever, on some level. Tony certainly did not want that when he kept trying to keep the Aprile boy away from the Mob when he was dating Meadow.

Yes and no.

The main difference though is that Patsy's son is in med school and is in no way mixed up in the business, so he's stands a better chance of gaining Tony's approval and giving a different life to Meadow.

Yes and no.

The main difference though is that Patsy's son is in med school and is in no way mixed up in the business, so he's stands a better chance of gaining Tony's approval and giving a different life to Meadow.

In what episodes did we learn about Patsy's son? I just don't remember it.

Yes and no.

I thought they said he was studying to become a lawyer.

Meadow is in the Mob world at its most primitive and brutal when it suits her. For instance, in the last episode, when she "allows" Carmella to bring up the subject of how she was insulted by Coco, it seems to me that she knows exactly the sort of revenge that Tony is going to take on her behalf. She has no problem with the rightness or wrongness of the kind of power that Tony can exercise, though she might prefer to look to one side when things gets especially ugly. In fact, I'd say that she's arguably less compartmentalized in this respect than her mother -- which is among the reasons that I believe and hope that Meadow's violent demise will be a key a part of the series' grand climax. Certainly, if Tony survives, nothing could leave his soul more mortally wounded than the knowledge that his daughter's blood is on his hands.

P.S. My son is convinced, and I believe he's right, that the two Muslim guys that the FBI is asking Tony about are really undercover FBI agents, and that the whole thing is a sting operation that will end up with Tony being nailed on terrorism charges. As you'll recall, Tony, through Christopher, did sell them weapons; now the FBI is establishing that Tony himself thinks they're terrorists. A tunnel closed at both ends. I like this because one of Tony's chief advantages over his mob rivals is that he's smarter than they are as well as being at least as brutal. Well, here, trying to be too smart, he'll outsmart himself -- perhaps.

P.S. My son is convinced, and I believe he's right, that the two Muslim guys that the FBI is asking Tony about are really undercover FBI agents, and that the whole thing is a sting operation that will end up with Tony being nailed on terrorism charges. As you'll recall, Tony, through Christopher, did sell them weapons; now the FBI is establishing that Tony himself thinks they're terrorists. A tunnel closed at both ends. I like this because one of Tony's chief advantages over his mob rivals is that he's smarter than they are as well as being at least as brutal. Well, here, trying to be too smart, he'll outsmart himself -- perhaps.

please tell your son that that is an extremely interesting p.s.!!!

Edited by ValerieB

Yes and no.

I thought they said he was studying to become a lawyer.

My bad.