Sopranos

sal

P.S. My son is convinced, and I believe he's right, that the two Muslim guys that the FBI is asking Tony about are really undercover FBI agents, and that the whole thing is a sting operation that will end up with Tony being nailed on terrorism charges. As you'll recall, Tony, through Christopher, did sell them weapons; now the FBI is establishing that Tony himself thinks they're terrorists. A tunnel closed at both ends. I like this because one of Tony's chief advantages over his mob rivals is that he's smarter than they are as well as being at least as brutal. Well, here, trying to be too smart, he'll outsmart himself -- perhaps.

Could be right.

But, those guys just stopped coming around and you would think they would want to stay close to him.

If there was a weapons charge on Tony as a result of what Christopher did, it would be a little thin.

Doesn't seem like there is much to build a case on. After all Tony, tipped the feds to the fact that he thinks they may be terrorists. It would be one thing if he kept dealing with them. Now he looks as if he has done a public service.

All these different theories is why this last season has been so great. I hope they don't disappoint us.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got a tip on the end of the season - Tony, on a drunken gambling binge, orders a hit on himself, hiring Furia (or whatever that guy's name was a few seasons ago who fell in love with Carmela) to come back from Italy; the hit man gets confused and accidentally wacks 4 children at a local kids party; in the process he also kills one of the ponys from the kids' pony ride; so instead of killling Tony he chops off the horse's head and tries to put it in Tony and Carmela's bed; unfortunately he gets confused once more and brings the head over to 1-800-Mattress and leaves it in the show room. Just as he does this two jazz musicians walk by; they ask Furia what he's done; Furia replies "I shoot horse" and they slap palms with him and ask him where they can get some "shit." Furia, further confused by this, tells them to check the backyard where the kids' party was held.

sorry to ruin the ending...

that's actually the next-to-last episode - in the last episode Tony gets convicted and has to do community service - so he tapes a series of Public Service Announcements for the Local Access Channel supporting Gun Control -

<_<

Edited by AllenLowe

My predictions for the end: I think Tony will have a load of asbestos-laden trash dumped on Phil's front lawn in Brooklyn. Phil will have Paulie, Syl and Bobby whacked. Tony will have some of Phil's slimy guys whacked.

Tony and Phil will try to have each other whacked, with Little Carmine in the middle of it. Either Little Carmine will be screwed over by one side or the other in the final showdown, or Little Carmine will screw over everyone else and take over both families in the end, showing himself to be a tough, shrewd, ruthless and very smart guy who has been only pretending to be a wimpy, sensitive New Age gangster.

Oh, along the way Carmella and Meadow will die in the gunfire, either as targets or because they get caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. A.J. will descend deeper into madness. Uncle Junior will die in prison.

Tony will be alive at the end but will have lost both his biological family and his Mob family.

Either Phil or Little Carmine will be in charge of New Jersey at the end, and will either let Tony live as a pathetic shell of his former self, or Tony will turn himself into the Feds to save himself from being whacked by Phil or Little Carmine.

If the Russian from the woods reappears, I would boo and hiss at that.

actually, I think the daughter incident is a major plot-hole this year, a true error. Not just the threat but the sexual vulgarity would have justified Tony's actions in everyone's eyes, and there would have been no repercussions, in my opinion. Especially per Leotardo, who is Mr. "honor" and who would have been offended by the actions of his soldier. Tony would NEVER have admitted doing anything wrong -

I had the same felling. Telling the daughter of the head of a family you'd like to (ostensibly) cum in her mouth is pretty fucking bad. People have ended up dead for much less. Honestly, I thought Tony used retraint in only curbing the muthafucker.

• 2 weeks later...

I noted that A.J. was not in Janice's house at the end with his mother and sister. I wonder if that was meant to convey that he did not leave the family house with them, or whether they all moved into another house and then two of them decided to pay a visit, all off-camera.

Was it just me, or did it look for a second like Tony was going to shoot himself through the mouth when he laid down in bed at the end of the episode?

Had the same feeling, but then I thought no. Not sure if they meant to suggest it, or it was just an accident. For instance, I had a feeling, based on the way at one point they shot the entrance to the restaurant where Carmella and Tony were dining, that would-be killers were going to burst in, but either that was an accident (these people aren't every-shot-counts cinematic geniuses, a la Hitchcock) or it was just me. In any case, I don't think it's in Tony's nature to off himself -- unless he were overcome by visions of Nancy Marchand. If Sil went down shooting, so will Tony. On the other hand, his being dumped by Dr. Melfi (a nicely written and performed scene, for the most part) was quite a land mine and might reverberate.

Was it just me, or did it look for a second like Tony was going to shoot himself through the mouth when he laid down in bed at the end of the episode?

Had the same feeling, but then I thought no. Not sure if they meant to suggest it, or it was just an accident. For instance, I had a feeling, based on the way at one point they shot the entrance to the restaurant where Carmella and Tony were dining, that would-be killers were going to burst in, but either that was an accident (these people aren't every-shot-counts cinematic geniuses, a la Hitchcock) or it was just me. In any case, I don't think it's in Tony's nature to off himself -- unless he were overcome by visions of Nancy Marchand. If Sil went down shooting, so will Tony. On the other hand, his being dumped by Dr. Melfi (a nicely written and performed scene, for the most part) was quite a land mine and might reverberate.

I also expected that Carmella and Tony would be met by assassins in the restaurant. But no, they were instead assaulted by the terminally socially inept Arnie and his wife and their interminable, thoughtless remarks.

I think the the scene with Tony and the gun was a little tease. He'll never go that route but it made us all think for a second, after the drama with the shrink and all.

There is still some obvious doubt in Phil's own people that this is the right thing to do. Not Butchie, but that guy Alfie played by "Cha Cha" Ciarcia.

I still like to believe Tony comes out okay. Either way I expect more of what we saw in lastnights episode in the finale.

I also expected that Carmella and Tony would be met by assassins in the restaurant. But no, they were instead assaulted by the terminally socially inept Arnie and his wife and their interminable, thoughtless remarks.

There is no way Tony would be killed in front of his wife.

I had a feeling, based on the way at one point they shot the entrance to the restaurant where Carmella and Tony were dining, that would-be killers were going to burst in, but either that was an accident (these people aren't every-shot-counts cinematic geniuses, a la Hitchcock) or it was just me.

Was it just me or did they set up the shot of Melfi closing the door on Tony in much the same way that the door gets closed on Kay in the Godfather? Long hallway shot of the door being shut. I don't know if it was accidental or intentional, but it was reminiscent to me.

Did anyone find it strange that New York went after Bobby rather than Paulie? Could this have been intentional? It would be crazy if Paulie led NY to Tony's hideout.

They named the three targets of what was considered "upper-management". Bobby kind of unofficially got bumped above Paulie.

In the end if Paulie or Carlo were left and the ones NY had to deal with, I'm sure that would sit fine with Phil. That said, I don't see Paulie doing anything to harm Tony. All things considered, he has as more to gain with Tony now that Silvio and Bobby are gone, so I would expect him to remain loyal.

I wonder where Carmine Jr. is in all this. Did they just drop him completely from the story line, or should we expect to see him in the finale and assisting Tony?

Edited by catesta

Did anyone find it strange that New York went after Bobby rather than Paulie? Could this have been intentional? It would be crazy if Paulie led NY to Tony's hideout.

I found it strange. When Phil said that they should hit the top three guys, one of his associates mentioned Paulie and Phil said no, it's Bobby instead. Then the associate commented that Bobby was Junior Soprano's driver not long ago, but Phil insisted.

Paulie had to know that Tony was mulling over whether to kill him on the boat ride a few episodes ago. Paulie was willing to go over to the Brooklyn family when Carmine was still alive.

At the end of the episode, Tony invites Paulie to leave the hideout, but Paulie insists on staying. I think that you are on to something here.

I found it strange. When Phil said that they should hit the top three guys, one of his associates mentioned Paulie and Phil said no, it's Bobby instead. Then the associate commented that Bobby was Junior Soprano's driver not long ago, but Phil insisted.

Paulie had to know that Tony was mulling over whether to kill him on the boat ride a few episodes ago. Paulie was willing to go over to the Brooklyn family when Carmine was still alive.

At the end of the episode, Tony invites Paulie to leave the hideout, but Paulie insists on staying. I think that you are on to something here.

But then why wouldn't Paulie leave? If he was working with Phil, once he knew the local of the hideout you would think he would leave...unless Paulie is to be Tony's assasin?!?!?

Edited by Johnny E

But then why wouldn't Paulie leave? If he was working with Phil, once he knew the local of the hideout you would think he would leave...unless Paulie is to be Tony's assasin?!?!?

The way that Tony was holding the weapon on the bed at the end, staring at the closed bedroom door, it looked to me like he expected that the assassin could come in at any moment.

Guest donald petersen

hot ptah i have noticed that many of your ideas and thoughts and perceptions concerning the sopranos-either commenting on what has happened or what is happening or what will happen-are often totally different than that of david chase and whoever else is writing and directing the show. it would be cool if you created your own mob show because it would be a completely different beast than the sopranos, which is ending. maybe you are the next david chase!

Edited by donald petersen

hot ptah i have noticed that many of your ideas and thoughts and perceptions concerning the sopranos-either commenting on what has happened or what is happening or what will happen-are often totally off and incorrect. i am not saying this is a bad or negative thing. it is a positive thing, probably. it is just interesting that your thinking process and instincts seems to be totally different than that of david chase and whoever else is writing and directing the show. it would be cool if you created your own mob show because it would be a completely different beast than the sopranos, which is ending. maybe you are the next david chase!

Thanks for pointing that out.

Guest donald petersen

seriously-i just meant your "feel" for this mob show seem to be a lot different than that of david chase. i don't know why david chase is the only arbiter of how stuff should go down. certainly people have enough gripes with the sopranos...i can't imagine how the show can end satisfactorily with only 50 minutes left.

The way that Tony was holding the weapon on the bed at the end, staring at the closed bedroom door, it looked to me like he expected that the assassin could come in at any moment.

Paulie wasn't the only one told by Tony to go ahead and take off.