Red Garland on Prestige

Soul Stream

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found this great little tidbit in Orrin Keepnews' liner notes to the Monk/Coltrane Complete Riverside Recordings:

I still consider this to have been the first time I really heard Trane. As for my reaction, by the time they had finished this first and only take, I had a question to ask. Ignoring the intercom, I went charging from the control room into the studio. "John," I still remember asking, "What's your record situation?"

I will also never forget his precise answer: "I signed with Prestige three weeks ago."

It was certainly my biggest record business disappointment to that point, and I could not have had many bigger ones since. The full story did not make me feel any better. Bob Weinstock of Prestige had not necessarily been any wiser than his competitors. Actually, with several strong-selling artists under contract - Miles, the Modern Jazz Quartet, Billy Taylor, Red Garland - he was not in hot pursuit of more. But he was under particular pressure from Garland to record his good friend and Davis bandmate, and so, without an excessive amount of enthusiasm, Weinstock had offered Coltrane a modest two-year deal and it had been accepted.

• 1 month later...

Well, Red Garland is his own best advertiser. I'm still digesting the material from Side Steps (what a rich treasure trove), as virtually all of it is new to me and Red's contributions just shine. In particular on Disc 4, his playing on All Mornin' Long, Billy's Bounce and Lazy Mae really drew my attention to the piano (not that Mr. Coltrane's playing isn't excellent).

Well, its clear that my Red Garland Piano, Groovy, Revisited and Soul Junction CDs is an utterly insufficient body of Red's work in my collection. Therefore I just placed an order at Concord Music for the following titles:

Rediscovered Masters, v.2

Mr P.C. Blues

Red's Good Groove

A Garland of Red

I also threw in Blue Mitchell's Blue Moods to reach the $40 limit for free shipping.

• 1 month later...

Red's good groove - a wonderful session, with Blue Mitchell & Pepper Adams, Sam & Philly Joe Jones. Really satisfying album!

MG

Glad to see your endorsement on this one, MG. I might be able to get ahold of this one in the coming days.

Add my endorsement as well. As transcendent as the trio albums are, I've always preferred Red with a horn (or horns).

Finally gotten around to listening to Red's Good Groove. I just want to thank you guys for plugging this release. It definitely lives up to the billing. :tup

Edited by Tom 1960

• 8 months later...

I love a good Red Garland intro, when he hits a groove and rides it for like three hours! Somebody mentioned "Soul Junction" earlier, a very worthy tune, but my FAVORITE, the one that I'll take with me on a long drive cuz it's perfect for night driving, is "Sweet Sapphire Blues." I mean, Red just jump-starts that bad boy and doesn't let ANYONE disrupt his groove for a good solid ten minutes or so, doesn't waste a note, doesn't repeat any tired riffs, just swings the ever-lovin' goodness outta that mutha!!!!

• 9 years later...
5 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

2020 needs some vintage Red!

1966.jpg

This 2003 Japanese compilation is excellent, especially when you just want to play a single disc of Red's:

VICJ-61091.jpg?v=1

1.     C Jam Blues (Groovy)

2.     I Can’t Give You Anything But Love (Red Garland’s Piano)

3.     But Not For Me (Red Garland’s Piano)

4.     St. James Infirmary (When There Are Grey Skies)

5.     My Blue Heaven (When There Are Grey Skies)

6.     Soon (Can’t See For Lookin’)

7.     Summertime (All Kinds of Weather)

8.     Rain (All Kinds of Weather)

9.     A Foggy Day (A Garland of Red)

10.  What Is This Thing Called Love? (A Garland of Red)

11.  This Can’t Be Love (It’s A Blue World)

12.  And The Angels Sing (Red Garland Trio/Moodsville)

13.  Billy Boy (Revisited!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...