Red Garland on Prestige

Soul Stream

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I have Manteca, primarily for Ray Barretto involvement.

You might like Rediscovered Masters, Vol. 1. More Barreto there.

R-12364581-1533760624-7743.jpeg.jpg

Garland possessed the same knack as Sonny Rollins for transforming kitschy melodies ("The Five O'Clock Whistle") into platforms for swing.

17 hours ago, Late said:

You might like Rediscovered Masters, Vol. 1. More Barreto there.

R-12364581-1533760624-7743.jpeg.jpg

Garland possessed the same knack as Sonny Rollins for transforming kitschy melodies ("The Five O'Clock Whistle") into platforms for swing.

Yes, "Five o´Clock Whistle" is really nice, like everything on that album. The last side, as I remember is a quintet, also very fine, only I think I remember I didn´t like the sound of the trumpet. 

Those Prestige doublealbums were very easy to find in the 70´s. 

I bought the album especially since I was eager to get albums from each member of the Miles Davis quintet, which I loved and love so much. 

So it was Coltrane´s "Soultrane" (also with Garland), Philly J.J. "Blues for Drakula" and the BN paperbag cover double album "Paul Chambers and John Coltrane), also with Philly J.J. on drums. 

5 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

The last side, as I remember is a quintet, also very fine, only I think I remember I didn´t like the sound of the trumpet.

The quintet tracks are on Rediscovered Masters, Vol. 2. Oliver Nelson + Richard Williams on horns.

5 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Yes, "Five o´Clock Whistle" is really nice, like everything on that album.

:tup Discogs

One of the hippest version of "East of The Sun" as well ...

4 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Yes - it was. That's what I have.

Nice! I checked Discogs and the 3-disc Japanese set and the 2-disc U.S. set appear to have the same number of tracks (23) ... ?

I need to spin this set again soon ... 

34 minutes ago, Late said:

Nice! I checked Discogs and the 3-disc Japanese set and the 2-disc U.S. set appear to have the same number of tracks (23) ... ?

I need to spin this set again soon ... 

I believe they split the 3 sets into 3 discs. Same music.

Edited by Chuck Nessa
typo

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, not Garland on Prestige, but I finally heard this record for the first time:

R-5997652-1502855698-5112.jpeg.jpg

Need to listen to it again. First impressions were ... didn't like the way Carter was recorded, and Red (coming out of retirement?) sounded a little different. Philly was like the Philly of the 50's: essentially perfect. Granted, these are first impressions. Need to spin again, and glad to finally have the date.

6 hours ago, Late said:

Okay, not Garland on Prestige, but I finally heard this record for the first time:

R-5997652-1502855698-5112.jpeg.jpg

Need to listen to it again. First impressions were ... didn't like the way Carter was recorded, and Red (coming out of retirement?) sounded a little different. Philly was like the Philly of the 50's: essentially perfect. Granted, these are first impressions. Need to spin again, and glad to finally have the date.

This was in the record shops in the late 70´s. I really don´t know why I didn´t purchase it. There would have been a lot of Galaxy albums that I would have liked. 

Ron Carter: Well I can understand your point of view. Ron Carter usually was recorded quite loud and he had a very modern sound, very "electric" due to the pickup, I think I remember we used "Underwood Pickups" then. 

Ron Carter also had a lot of gimmicks with glissando, with double grips and so on. 

I can imagine that this maybe didn´t fit to Red Garland´s music.

But during that time, we loved Ron Carter very much for the more modern sounding so called "acoustic" jazz, like let´s say the "Milestone Allstars" and above all "VSOP". 

Anyway I was much more a Ron Carter fan than let´s say all that super fast high note stuff that Eddie Gomez did on solos. You can compare it on McCoy Tyner´s "Super Trios" from 1977. 

38 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I thought there might be a credit buried/hidden in the cover itself, but if so, I can't find it.

Aha! Found it. Check this Japanese edition's cover:

R-7934718-1472099749-5122.jpeg.jpg

Bottom left, though it takes a microscope to see it, it says:

Design: Reid Miles
Photo: Bill Connors

I had to enlarge the image a number of times. Even then it was hard to decipher.