Red Garland on Prestige

Soul Stream

I've always really dug these Prestige sides with Red and Paul Chambers and Art Taylor, ect. "Red Garland's Piano" is especially a favorite. And those things with Byrd and Trane are just out of this world. Byrd sounds so brassy and on fire on those things with Trane....

Anybody else have any particular Prestige Red album that hits a nerve?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been getting into Red in the last year or so - GREATLY regret not having done so before. I've got 3 trio albums:

Groovy

Red in Bluesville

Manteca (+Ray Barretto)

and two with reasonably well-regarded sax players

Moodsville vol 1 (with Jaws)

Swingville 2001 (with Hawk)

(Interesting that Red was chosen to underpin the first releases on the MV and SV labels.)

I love all of them I've got so far. More this year, I'm sure.

MG

Hello friends of Red Garland.

I agree that Red Garland's Piano is a favourite. A wonderful recording!

Groovy did not really live up to my expectations after RGP. However I bought a double disc Red garland at The Prelude - Areally gret live recording recorded in 1959 and reissued in 2006.

B000E1NWV4.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_V46678873_SS500_.jpgAmazon

Red was a helluva player. Also please read Miles self biography for som interesting views of Red.

Best of luck!

/Shaft

Favorite Prestige Garlands are the trio sides he recorded with Paul Chambers and Art Taylor

- 'A Garland of Red'

- 'Red Garland's Piano'

- 'Groovy'

The trio was also at its best when accompanying John Coltrane for 'Traneing In', 'Soultrane' and 'Settin' the Pace'.

The one Red Garland performance to get at all costs IMO is his nine-minute slow-motion version of "Mr. Wonderful," here:

http://www.amazon.com/Rediscovered-Masters...565&sr=1-12

It's an absolutely insane piece of "trance music." Also the trio here -- Doug Watkins and Specs Wright -- was Red's working band, and this was the only record they made together.

The one Red Garland performance to get at all costs IMO is his nine-minute slow-motion version of "Mr. Wonderful," here:

It's an absolutely insane piece of "trance music." Also the trio here -- Doug Watkins and Specs Wright -- was Red's working band, and this was the only record they made together.

as a trio.

But it's Garland, Watkins & Wright who back up Hawk on Swingville 2001

MG

Blue Velvet from the same session is magical as well.

I have (almost) all of the Garland OJC releases and wouldn't want to part with ANY of them. If I was forced at gunpoint to choose 1, it would either be "All Kinds Of Weather" or "Moodsville #1 w/Lockjaw". But that would be really depressing because I also love A Garland Of Red, Red Alone, Red's Good Groove, etc, etc, etc...

as a trio.

But it's Garland, Watkins & Wright who back up Hawk on Swingville 2001

MG

Doug Watkins and Specs Wright also back up Red on one track - "A Little Bit Of Basie" - on the Garland CD titled "Soul Burnin'".

This CD has 2 tracks with Oliver Nelson and Richard Williams joining Red, Peck Morrison and Charlie Persip. Two additional tracks feature the trio of Garland, Sam Jones, and Art Taylor.

I'm enjoying the many great responses on this thread. I just recently purchased "Red Garland's Piano" and already own "Groovy" and look forward to seriously beefing up on his catalogue. Alot of the OJC stuff look to be no lose propositions.

Yes, threads like this one always end up costing me money. But it hurts sooooo good...... :crazy:

Blue Velvet from the same session is magical as well.

Absolutely. Those tunes fit Red's harmonic approach so well -- super-sweetness turning into ambiguous dissonance -- that it's almost as though he wrote them.

Hello friends of Red Garland.

I agree that Red Garland's Piano is a favourite. A wonderful recording!

Groovy did not really live up to my expectations after RGP. However I bought a double disc Red garland at The Prelude - Areally gret live recording recorded in 1959 and reissued in 2006.

B000E1NWV4.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_V46678873_AA180_.jpg

I got the Prelude set today (paid just €10.99 for the last copy at our local Zweitausendeins).

I really like those compilations of originally separated tracks that belong together.

Edited by Kyo

Nothing tops the 8 and a half minute intro to Soul Junction.

I'm with you there. That whole record is a bitch. Coltrane seems to have brought out a little more fire in Red's playing. I like Garland's trio work, but I prefer the quintet work overall.

I'm looking forward to Concord's next Coltrane boxes — there're supposed to be at least two more, I think, after Intrepid Warrior: the sideman dates, and the co-leader dates. The leader dates in the new box have great sound, and it will be nice to hear the Garland/Coltrane sessions improved sonically.

I think Donald Byrd acquits himself fairly well in the Garland/Coltrane quintets, but wouldn't it have been nice to hear a young Lee Morgan instead?

• 7 months later...

I'm enjoying the many great responses on this thread. I just recently purchased "Red Garland's Piano" and already own "Groovy" and look forward to seriously beefing up on his catalogue. Alot of the OJC stuff look to be no lose propositions.

Yes, threads like this one always end up costing me money. But it hurts sooooo good...... :crazy:

Here's another chance to make it hurt so good! :excited: As has been noted by several posters....a great set indeed. Don't see many around these days. Your Christmas gift to you!

http://cgi.ebay.com/RED-GARLAND-Complete-A...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

Here's another chance to make it hurt so good! :excited: As has been noted by several posters....a great set indeed. Don't see many around these days. Your Christmas gift to you!

http://cgi.ebay.com/RED-GARLAND-Complete-A...1QQcmdZViewItem

Aw shit Jr - how much more is there on this than on the US 2 CD pack? Has the complete only ever been issued in Japan?

MG