Red Garland on Prestige

Soul Stream

Newbury Comics has the 20-bit K2 version of ALL MORNIN' LONG for $3.99 right now, through Amazon Marketplace. ($7 when you throw in the shipping.) I already have it as a part of the Coltrane Prestige box, but what the heck--I like the K2 series & the album & love the cover, so for that price I went ahead and ordered it.

A K2 for a record I don't own and want for the price of lunch? Ordered one also, hopefully they still have them in stock. Thanks for the tip.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the Garland Prestige dates with Byrd and Coltrane (2 - Nov and Dec of '57) were divided up into lp length portions to form All Morning Long, Soul Junction and High Pressure. The "extra" track (Lazy Mae - 16:07) was coupled with a trio selection from Feb 1958 and CTA from Feb 7 of 1958.

If you enjoy the other titles, get it.

All the Garland Prestige dates with Byrd and Coltrane (2 - Nov and Dec of '57) were divided up into lp length portions to form All Morning Long, Soul Junction and High Pressure.

And Dig It!.

Read my post again. I was not clear but really describing Dig It in the portion you deleted.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

All the Garland Prestige dates with Byrd and Coltrane (2 - Nov and Dec of '57) were divided up into lp length portions to form All Morning Long, Soul Junction and High Pressure.

And Dig It!.

Read my post again. I was not clear but really describing Dig It in the portion you deleted.

Didn't check the song titles on Dig It! when I wrote my post. Your post was indeed a bit cryptic - to me at least :)

Edited by J.A.W.

Another tasty Red title--not Prestige, but a 1961 Jazzland date:

Bright and Breezy

For most sane or more casual folk, Red Garland's Piano & one of the dates w/Coltrane would probably be enough. Not placing myself in either of those categories--RG seems to be resonating with me right now, and I'm eyeballing REVISITED! as another one to possibly pick up.

Bright and Breezy

For most sane or more casual folk, Red Garland's Piano & one of the dates w/Coltrane would probably be enough. Not placing myself in either of those categories--RG seems to be resonating with me right now, and I'm eyeballing REVISITED! as another one to possibly pick up.

REVISITED is all kindsa sweet! Especially the tracks with Kenny Burrell.

Does it seem like Red got a little more adventurous on the Jazzland label? In addition to two trio albums, he also recorded an album with Les Spann on guitar and flute (SOLAR), and a quintet album with Blue Mitchell & Pepper Adams in the front line, and the Jones men (Sam & Philly Joe) completing the rhythm. The latter album has a very definite Blue Note Byrd/Adams vibe to it.

I wish Mosaic would do a Select of Red's Galaxy recordings, as there seems to have been a final burst of recording over four days in 1979 with lineups that varied between trios and a sextet, which were released on four or five LPs. Seems to be the perfect candidate for the 3-CD treatment.

Bright and Breezy

REVISITED is all kindsa sweet! Especially the tracks with Kenny Burrell.

Does it seem like Red got a little more adventurous on the Jazzland label? In addition to two trio albums, he also recorded an album with Les Spann on guitar and flute (SOLAR), and a quintet album with Blue Mitchell & Pepper Adams in the front line, and the Jones men (Sam & Philly Joe) completing the rhythm. The latter album has a very definite Blue Note Byrd/Adams vibe to it.

I wish Mosaic would do a Select of Red's Galaxy recordings, as there seems to have been a final burst of recording over four days in 1979 with lineups that varied between trios and a sextet, which were released on four or five LPs. Seems to be the perfect candidate for the 3-CD treatment.

Except we were advised by Mosaic at one point never to expect a set with Fantasy/Concord material.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, I'm happy to have located this thread. I've been looking into beefing up my Red Garland collection as well (so far only Groovy and Red Garland's Piano) but there are some great suggestions.

Just one question. I noticed that quite a few of the suggestions were issued by a OJC in 1991. I'm wondering if the sound quality of these pressings is fairly decent? Most are very affordable, so I wanted to know if those who have dabbled in them find them listenable.

Quite listenable. I think you'll find them enjoyable.

agree, for some reason the OJC's from the early 90's sound fine. Unlike most cd's from that time I don't have a problem with the OJC's.

Enjoying the K2 of All Morning Long. Thanks to the tip in this thread.

Edited by WorldB3

Quite listenable. I think you'll find them enjoyable.

agree, for some reason the OJC's from the early 90's sound fine. Unlike most cd's from that time I don't have a problem with the OJC's.

Enjoying the K2 of All Morning Long. Thanks to the tip in this thread.

Excellent. Based on the suggestions in this thread, I've first placed orders for Soul Junction (Presige, 2007) and Red Garland Revisited! (Ojc, 1998). This will, in effect, double my Red Garland collection. But I see references to numerous others in this thread, should I want to continue to expand my Red Garland collection exponentially in the future.

One of the things that drew me to Revisited! was the mention above of Burrell's participation on a few of the tracks. I absolutely love Burrell's album with John Coltrane (1959). As an aside, I'm a graduate student at UCLA, where Burrell still heads the jazz program. During my first year in school (several years ago), I had a work-study position in the Department of Music and had limited, but enough, contact with Mr. Burrell to form the opinion that he is such a tremendously modest, classy guy. Very understated, polite and soft spoken. I just thought it was great that here is this guy who is/was one of the finest guitar players in the genre, nearing 75 years old (at the time), still active in jazz education and such a nice guy. In other words, he's as smooth in person as his guitar playing.

Edited by Norm

• 2 weeks later...

"garland is an ex-boxer (he fought sugar ray robinson in the 40s)". from the liner notes for miles' miles album,

PRLP 7014. i didn't know that. i found out today! i bought myself that album on a mini-lp japanese version (UCCO

9264, from i think the 100 best jazz albums) and i read that. it's very good. it's his first album with his classic

first quintette. you can hear miles and coltrane playing together. sometimes in unison!

i don't know much about garland. just about him as a sideman with miles and coltrane. but i sure would like to hear

from him as a leader. so groovy and red garland's piano are on my list. but today i couldn't find them in the few

remaining shops. from him the liner notes say that miles had different bands in 55, the year the album was

recorded, but he had a working rythm section with paul chambers and philly joe jones, and to that he added garland

and coltrane to form what was to become his basic quintette.

Glad this was upped.

I've bought a few more of Red's albums in the past couple of years.

I got the Concord edition of the Prelude session. Thought that was enough. And it is.

Also, two Jazzland OJCs

Bright and breezy - a very nice trio session of mostly standards

Red's good groove - a wonderful session, with Blue Mitchell & Pepper Adams, Sam & Philly Joe Jones. Really satisfying album!

MG

i forgot that on the other post. i know miles also exists as a prestige rvg from concord, which i think should be ok. i think one can stay whith that. had i found it i think i would have kept it over the mini-lp, given the price tag. but the mini-lp's price was also ok (it was a 2200 yen edition) and i love mini-lps. so although a little bit expensive it was not bad after all. it's a dsd and the sound is great. but i think the rvgd reissue must also be good. and i know several red garland albums have also been rvgd. i'm actually looking out for those.

I got the Concord edition of the Prelude session. Thought that was enough. And it is.

This is one I've just placed a reserve on through my library, based on up-thread discussion, to give it a test drive. When you say, "thought that was enough. And it is" I'm a little confused about your meaning (i.e. this is all the live Red you need? you're satisfied with the Concord pressing? a little Red goes a long way? good? bad?). Just curious.

I've finally had a chance to give Revisited! and Soul Junction a few spins and I'm liking both immensely. As someone mentioned, those tunes will Burrell on Revisited! are phenomenal in a very subtle way.

Edited by Norm

This is one I've just placed a reserve on through my library, based on up-thread discussion, to give it a test drive. When you say, "thought that was enough. And it is" I'm a little confused about your meaning (i.e. this is all the live Red you need? you're satisfied with the Concord pressing? a little Red goes a long way? good? bad?). Just curious.

I've finally had a chance to give Revisited! and Soul Junction a few spins and I'm liking both immensely. As someone mentioned, those tunes will Burrell on Revisited! are phenomenal in a very subtle way.

Oh, there's a Japanese complete Prelude edition, costing bux. It has a few tracks that aren't on the Concord edition. I'm happy to listen to the reasonably priced 2CD edition without longing for the extra three on 3 CDs. It's a really nice set.

MG

• 2 weeks later...

Red's good groove - a wonderful session, with Blue Mitchell & Pepper Adams, Sam & Philly Joe Jones. Really satisfying album!

MG

Glad to see your endorsement on this one, MG. I might be able to get ahold of this one in the coming days.

Add my endorsement as well. As transcendent as the trio albums are, I've always preferred Red with a horn (or horns).