Monterey Festival vault opens

brownie

From Reuters/Billboard

THE VAULT IS OPEN FOR THE MONTEREY JAZZ FESTIVAL

By Dan Ouellette

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Festivals are ripe venues for live recordings. Cases in point: Norman Granz's full slate of albums recorded at the Montreux Jazz Festival in 1977 and 1979 for his Pablo label, and Verve's series of Charlie Haden concerts at the 1989 Montreal Jazz Festival.

But in a recording industry first, the Monterey Jazz Festival in California -- the setting of such classics as John Handy's "Live at Monterey" (1965) and Charles Lloyd's "Forest Flower" (1966) -- has fashioned itself a label as well as a marquee event. For starters, the festival is excavating its 1,600-hour tape archives housed at Stanford University's Braun Music Center to release historic live concerts. To complement the old, Monterey Jazz Festival Records (MJFR) will also record new festival-spawned projects.

Under the ever-expanding Concord Music Group umbrella, MJFR will roll out its debut five-CD batch July 31: Louis Armstrong & His All-Stars (recorded in '58), Miles Davis Quintet ('63), Thelonious Monk Quartet ('64), Shirley Horn Trio and George Washington Jr. (both in '94). More archival CDs will street in late summer in time to help Monterey, the world's oldest, continuously running jazz festival, celebrate its silver anniversary (September 21-23).

"We'll have a captive crowd, in the best sense of the word, for selling these CDs," Monterey GM Tim Jackson says, adding that the festival has an annual attendance of 45,000. "Three years ago we started thinking about how to celebrate the 50th as well as leverage the festival's assets and brand, not just for a one-time event, but for something that could be ongoing."

The archives that document most of the artists who played the main stage were largely inaccessible except to researchers. Plus, the tapes were deteriorating, a problem rectified recently by a digitizing project partially funded by the Grammy Foundation. "Once we realized what we had," Jackson says, "we wanted to get it out to the public."

Monterey never intended to jump-start a label on its own. "We know how to produce a jazz festival, but not sell records," Jackson says. Concord was approached because it's based on the West Coast and "because they're a very progressive label," he adds.

Jackson broached the topic with Concord president/CEO Glen Barros while they served on the Jazz Alliance International board. "Concord's philosophy is to give consumers infinite choices," Barros says. "If we do our job right, we'll make Monterey, which has a hip factor, known around the globe. This imprint gives us a new opportunity to make jazz work in this changing industry."

Jason Olaine, director of A&R at Verve from 1999 to 2004, is GM of MJFR. He calls the shots on the historic releases as well as special projects to be recorded at the festival each year. "We don't want to get stuck in a '50-'60s time warp," he says. "We want to show that jazz is also a music of the present."

For this year's fest, Olaine assembled a supergroup of Dave Holland, Gonzalo Rubalcaba, Chris Potter and Eric Harland, whose performances will be issued by MJFR. Another unique ensemble -- including Benny Green, Terence Blanchard, James Moody and Nnenna Freelon -- will also be documented for a MJFR CD to be sold on its 50-date national tour of 1,000- to 2,000-seat venues from January to March 2008.

"At 50, we figure it's good to pause and reflect back," Jackson says, noting that the imprint breaks the mold with its variegated potential revenue streams. "But we also want to creatively contribute to the jazz future."

I'm looking forward to this.

Glad to see Concord do something positive.

That, and keeping EVERYTHING they own, and EVERYTHING they've EVER released "in print" FOREVER!!!

From the article...

"Concord's philosophy is to give consumers infinite choices," Concord president/CEO Glen Barros says.

That, and keeping EVERYTHING they own, and EVERYTHING they've EVER released "in print" FOREVER!!!

From the article...

"Concord's philosophy is to give consumers infinite choices," Concord president/CEO Glen Barros says.

Infinite choices, eh? So when are they gonna put out the box of complete Freddie McCoy Prestige recordings? Or the two Paul Bryant LPs issued on Fantasy? Or the two Johnny Lytle Milestones? Or The three David Newman disco LPs on Prestige?

Infinite choices! Pah!!!!!

How do you make the letters big?

OK - imagine these letters are big, if you wouldn't mind.

PAH!!!! PHOOEY!!!! TOSH!!!! PISH!!!!

MG

I am anxiously awaiting the Monterey series.

I wonder if Carl Jefferson left behind the masters of the various Concord Jazz Festivals that he recorded that have never seen the light of day? Among them is a Woody Herman set with Duke Ellington sitting in; a former Concord rep once had a copy of it that Jefferson gave to him.

By the way, who's George Washington, Jr.? Was it supposed to be GROVER?

From the article...

Infinite choices, eh? So when are they gonna put out the box of complete Freddie McCoy Prestige recordings? Or the two Paul Bryant LPs issued on Fantasy? Or the two Johnny Lytle Milestones? Or The three David Newman disco LPs on Prestige?

MG

I take it, then, that you're a "glass is half empty" kind of guy? :lol:

You gotta give some credit to Concord on this one, though frankly I am a little concerned about this statement

Jason Olaine, director of A&R at Verve from 1999 to 2004, is GM of MJFR. He calls the shots on the historic releases as well as special projects to be recorded at the festival each year. "We don't want to get stuck in a '50-'60s time warp," he says. "We want to show that jazz is also a music of the present."

I don't care if they want to issue more "contemporary" sounding stuff, but when you're sitting on a goldmine of classic jazz from that era, you've got to pick the gems and put them out. Furthermore, I'd strongly argue that at this point in time, the people buying CDs are the ones who would be interested in those 50s-60s concerts. I really hope that his comment is directed at what type of "special projects" they'll record at upcoming festivals, not what they plan to issue from the vaults.

From the article...

MG

I take it, then, that you're a "glass is half empty" kind of guy? :lol:

:)

MG

You gotta give some credit to Concord on this one, though frankly I am a little concerned about this statement

I don't care if they want to issue more "contemporary" sounding stuff, but when you're sitting on a goldmine of classic jazz from that era, you've got to pick the gems and put them out. Furthermore, I'd strongly argue that at this point in time, the people buying CDs are the ones who would be interested in those 50s-60s concerts. I really hope that his comment is directed at what type of "special projects" they'll record at upcoming festivals, not what they plan to issue from the vaults.

If Olaine had anything to do with Verve's reissue programme 1999-2004, then he's definitely well seized of the need to cover the 50s-60s.

MG

Just a reminder that WB released some ten years ago a 3CD set 'Monterey Jazz Festival - 40 Legendary Years',

an interesting compilation of various appearances by the likes of Dizzy Gillespie, Billie Holiday, CannonBall Adderley, Thelonious Monk, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Charles Mingus at Monterey!

B000002NHI.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_AA240_.jpg

give me a break, but Holland, Rubalcaba, Potter and Harland... that is music of yesterday played by musicians from today, no?

old wine in new bottles...

On the one hand, this is Concord Records, for goodness' sake. Who do you expect them to record, Keith Rowe? Zeena Parkins? Their basis of comparison is George Shearing, Rosemary Clooney, Gene Harris.

On the other hand, seriously, isn't it a bit much to call Holland et al. "music of yesterday" as if they're just hopelessly old hat? How long is "a day" in music anyway? And does it matter? When I listen to Holland it doesn't sound like the equivalent of Dixieland or something.

give me a break, but Holland, Rubalcaba, Potter and Harland... that is music of yesterday played by musicians from today, no?

old wine in new bottles...

On the one hand, this is Concord Records, for goodness' sake. Who do you expect them to record, Keith Rowe? Zeena Parkins? Their basis of comparison is George Shearing, Rosemary Clooney, Gene Harris.

On the other hand, seriously, isn't it a bit much to call Holland et al. "music of yesterday" as if they're just hopelessly old hat? How long is "a day" in music anyway? And does it matter? When I listen to Holland it doesn't sound like the equivalent of Dixieland or something.

Gonzalo Rubalcaba is not the music of yesterday either.

Weren't some of these short sets (like Newport)? Will they combine different artists on one CD?

Monk with Swallow should be great - I wonder if Butch Warren had already left, or not yet joined?

I posted elsewhere that the Mingus stuff could have been added to the recent UCLA two-fer. I remember reading that it was only a half-hour set. Which track was in the 3-CD box?

I had bought a version of 'Isotope' from a 1968 Joe Henderson gig with Booby Hutcherson on iTunes. Was this in the box? I'd love to hear the whole set.

BTW, the box is no longer on iTunes. Why would they take things off iTunes? It costs nothing to be on there :angry:

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

• 4 months later...

Promo copies showed up the other day. So far I've listened to two.

The Monk set is a disappointment. Grainy sound -- maybe someone NoNoised it to within an inch of its life. And the performance is for completists only. The larger-ensemble tracks are disappointing. Buddy Collette is cool, but Bobby Bryant is an awful drag.

The Pops set sounds MUCH better but isn't a very distinguished performance. Billy Kyle and Peanuts Hucko are having a good night, though. Velma Middleton sounds especially awful.

Been listening to the Miles for the past few days.

Not sure why they bothered with the 41 seconds of Waiting For Miles

and the editing of and in the tracks is a bit annoying (read: "unprofessional").

Performances are grand tho and it's Miles and that's OK in my book.

...but I just got around to the booklet. I noticed that the family (and lawyers) :blink:

get a paragraph of thanks:

082601.jpg

Been listening to the Miles for the past few days.

Not sure why they bothered with the 41 seconds of Waiting For Miles

and the editing of and in the tracks is a bit annoying (read: "unprofessional").

Where would the music be without lawyers? God bless 'em.

Editing of? There's editing?

Editing of? There's editing?
just small irritating ones -

right when you start the disc:

there's (even) a small edit right in the middle of the crowd sound of the 41 second cut (unbelievably so)

and then it very abruptly goes into Autumn Leaves -

actually clipping the first note from Miles. Just irritating blips like that

that I think could've used some care. The more that I think of this first cut - Waiting For Miles - business,

the more I think that it's a weird, unnecessary slap at Miles' personality,

...or it could be my lack of sleep... ;)

Edited by rostasi