"Later: Bobby Hutcherson in the Mid-1970s"

MS026.jpg

This week on Night Lights it’s “Later: Bobby Hutcherson in the Mid-1970s.” Bobby Hutcherson made his first appearance on a Blue Note date in 1963, playing on saxophonist Jackie McLean’s LP ONE STEP BEYOND. In the next 14 years Hutcherson would record 22 albums as a leader for the label and appear as a sideman with musicians such as Joe Henderson, Grant Green, Lee Morgan, McCoy Tyner, and Herbie Hancock, becoming a prominent figure in the avant-bop landscape of the 1960s. The Blue Note label went through big changes after founding owner Alfred Lion sold the company, and Hutcherson was one of the few classic 1960s artists to stay, along with pianist Horace Silver and trumpeter Donald Byrd. The success of Hutcherson’s tune “Ummh” from his early-1970s album SAN FRANCISCO led to a renewal of the vibraphonist’s contract with the label, and he went on to record five albums that have now been collected by Mosaic records in a single set, after having been unavailable for decades. During the mid-1970s Hutcherson was able to maintain and lead a strong working group, and to also bring in talented colleagues for studio dates; these albums feature players such as trumpeters Woody Shaw and Freddie Hubbard, saxophonist Harold Land and Manny Boyd, and pianist George Cables. Although Blue Note’s glory days were already past when these records were made, they reflect the intensity of the label’s best work.

“Later” airs Saturday, April 14 at 11:05 p.m. EST on WFIU and at 9 p.m. Central Time on WNIN-Evansville. It will also air Sunday evening at 10 p.m. EST on Michigan's Blue Lake Public Radio. The program will be posted by Tuesday morning in the Night Lights archives.

Next week: "Slide at 75."

Edited by ghost of miles

I was fortunate enough to catch Hutcherson during the mid and late '70s at various NYC venues including the Vanguard, the defunct Jazz Showboat, etc. I have to say that nothing recorded in the studio from that period in any way approaches the quality of what he was doing in live performance. He was stupendous in live performance. For the most part, his studio '70s recordings will make this listener at least, go for the '60s stuff.

Edited by MartyJazz

Wish I could've seen him in the 1960s OR the 1970s... but I'd surely go see him now if he ever came anywhere near this region. How does LIVE AT MONTREUX stack up against your memories of live Hutch in those days? I think the studio dates on the Mosaic are pretty strong, but just my humble opinion and all that.

"Later: Bobby Hutcherson in the Mid-1970s" is now archived.

Thanks! First time listening to this show, very nice indeed. The Hutcherson set is

on my Mosaic wish list, I'm just waiting for a good time to spend around $300...

- cause that's how much I'll probably end up paying for all the Mosaic stuff I want! :crazy:

Wish I could've seen him in the 1960s OR the 1970s... but I'd surely go see him now if he ever came anywhere near this region. How does LIVE AT MONTREUX stack up against your memories of live Hutch in those days? I think the studio dates on the Mosaic are pretty strong, but just my humble opinion and all that.

I do very much like this live date that features Woody Shaw. It just reinforces my opinion however, in that his live appearances during that decade are far stronger than any of the studio material recorded at that time.

• 5 weeks later...

I stumbled upon this program while looking to listen to "Destination Out" for the umpteenth time (BTW, I finally ordered that Moncur Mosaic Select. Sure took me long enough!)

This music is fascinating, beautiful, and completely enjoyable! If MartyJazz is correct (and I usually assume he is), then this band must have been outta-this-world live!

Yet another great show, David. Sorry I missed it the first time around!

Edited by Big Al

I happened to see him live a year or two ago at Yoshi's and he friggin' BURNED! It was an ear-opening, revelatory experiance.

Glad you liked the show, Big Al! I share your sentiment; the live band must have indeed been out of this world. I haven't really hunted around on the net for any broadcasts or tapes, but hopefully I'll have a chance to hear some of the performances to which Martyjazz alludes. The Hutcherson set is one of the best Selects that have come out so far, IMO.

Glad you liked the show, Big Al! I share your sentiment; the live band must have indeed been out of this world. I haven't really hunted around on the net for any broadcasts or tapes, but hopefully I'll have a chance to hear some of the performances to which Martyjazz alludes. The Hutcherson set is one of the best Selects that have come out so far, IMO.

Well, it's because of your show that I'm ordering this set. For that matter, I'm also ordering the Tony Williams Select as a result of THAT show. Mosaic should give you some kind of commission or something! ;)

• 1 year later...
  • 7 years later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 years later...