Tony Williams Tokyo Live

is there anyone on this board that would be interested in selling (for a reasonable price) a copy of "Tokyo Live" to me? I have had a burn of it for 5 years but as I have the Mosaic set, I would like a real copy. I should be depositing more into my bank this week, so if we could work out a deal, send me a PM for details. I got outbid on a copy on ebay going for $78.89 final price!!!!

Edited by CJ Shearn

I've been looking for this set as well (and I don't even have CD-Rs of this material) :().

Three eBay auctions I've been watching closed way past $50 (two around $80) which

is an unacceptable price for me. I wish Blue Note would just reissue this set...

yes Kyo, $50-80 is unacceptable to me as well on ebay. I knew there was extra material, if it was put out as a boxset I'd buy it in a minute! Considering I won a rare JOS (Lonesome Road, thus completing my JOS on Blue Note listening) on ebay for only $14, someone should put up a cheaper price for Tokyo. It's possible to get rare and OOP titles without breaking your budget. Felser PM'd me a great and kind offer but I cannot take it at this time. I am just going to live with my CDR's of the album for a while. What's worse, if you look on Amazon, is the individual studio albums which are available readily in the Select, are up for ridiculous prices as well. Couldn't BN reissue Tokyo Live as a Connoiseur?

Edited by CJ Shearn

I asked Michael Cuscuna about this issue yesterday and he replied:

"We never got the rights to the rest of the material and Tony never selected and mixed it. I'm not sure what I will do about that at this point."

From the sounds of it, if you want it, pay the piper. IMHO, $80 is a lot more than I'd be willing to pay for this.

I asked Michael Cuscuna about this issue yesterday and he replied:

"We never got the rights to the rest of the material and Tony never selected and mixed it. I'm not sure what I will do about that at this point."

From the sounds of it, if you want it, pay the piper. IMHO, $80 is a lot more than I'd be willing to pay for this.

That wouldn't preclude it from being reissued as a Connoisseur or something though.

Most used to mockingly call this band "Tony Williams & The Jazz Messengers" .....

You could have simply listened back then. No use in crying about missed opportunities - there are many gaps like this in my collection. But I bought all of Tony's Blue discs right away.

The live may be the best or - to say it better - most representative of the band. I wonder why he wasn't involeved in the mix and selection of the tunes.

thats our own Felser I think. I couldn't lay down the money on his offer unfortunately. When the album was in print, was it this highly regarded?

Nope, I didn't put mine out on ebay yet. That band was revered back in the day - well beyond what the recordings deserved overall IMO (this was the age of all the well-dressed 20 year olds with nice hats getting major label contracts in the wake of Wynton's initial success, which led to some pretty pedestrian soloing over some pretty efficient rhythm sections - the dawn of the era of session leaders coming out of high school and college classrooms rather than working bands. Marlon Jordan and Antonio Hart and Amina A.W. Murray, anyone?), but to me the live was by far the best of them. The tunes were stretched out and fiery compared to the studio CD's.

Edited by felser

yes the live stuff is fiery. I also have a live show from Yoshi's in '88 that is just as good, it is a radio broadcast. I just really enjoy that band, although my fav. albums from the Select are "Civilization" and "Angel Street". The version of "Poinciana" from "Story of Neptune" is cool too as the groove is implied and played with brushes. Its interesting as noted in another thread that Wallace Roney stated Tony's cymbal sound never changed that much, but his stick size definitely changed.

Another copy hits eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tokyo-Live-Williams-To...1QQcmdZViewItem

This time the seller is asking for $55 as the minimum bid. :rolleyes:

I'm the seller- I saw this thread and saw what it went for on Ebay and I had been thinking about putting it on Ebay, so... now seemed as good a time as any. I just checked and I do have a bidder.

Last year I sold 'Angel Heart' for $40 to a guy in Italy, and this year it's part of the Select so I'm sure it has little value now. Like the comedians say, timing is everything.

ahh yeah... with all this talk, Tokyo Live probably will get reissued, since some ppl have a direct line to MC.

I guess that depends on how well the Mosaic Select box does.

It has certainly renewed interest in the live set for now.

I wonder about maybe a Japanese reissue in a small batch? I don't know if there any impediments to that, and it seems that so many Blue Note releases are reissued in Japan...

Those Japanese releases are mostly 50s and 60s sessions though...