What music besides jazz do you listen to?

AfricaBrass

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i listen to a lot of different types of music, from early through baroque, classical, romantic, neo-classical, etc. I listen to rock, a whole lot of what's called jazz,blues, etc. My other passion besides jazz is West African percussion based music. If you want to hear some "kick ass" traditional Guinean drumming, pick up any cd by Mamady Keita and Sewa Kan. Any cd by Famoudou Konate, or Les Percussions de Guinee' or Le Ballet Africaines. It's where it ALL came from.

Well, as I think I've said somewhere else, Jazz/free music (and 'modern classical')saved me from the boredom that I was experiencing with (even progressive) rock... but now, my ears are back on open to a lot of rock... classic stuff like the Byrds, Neil Young, early Dead, etc. Also bought back all that SY, some of the Minutemen and the like and am enjoying it heartily once again. SY were great (can't say I like the newer stuff), and Thurston's improvised stuff isn't all that bad either. Hmm, what else -- early acoustic blues, bohemian whi'boy acoustic blues (Takoma Records), Brigitte Fontaine and the Daniel Vallencien/Saravah crew, Canterbury prog, some Krautrock, Parson Sound/Trad Gras och Stenar, generally anything really skronky gets me goin'. I've actually been listening to less jazz lately, and I know when I go back to it, my ears will be expanded once again.