What music besides jazz do you listen to?

AfricaBrass

I listen to almost every type of music. I'm not a big fan of rap or modern rock/pop/country, but I like most of the older styles of music.

I find myself going through phases in which I listen to a lot of one style. I then move to another style. I could go from listening to a lot of Indian ragas to listening to Easy Listening. I'm weird that way.

I love making compilation cds that jump from the style to style.

:rsmile: :rsmile: :rsmile:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever listen to Bulgarian wedding music? How about Hearts of Space-type stuff(Steve Roach, Mickey Hart, etc.)? Or Renissance music? (I like the Tallis Scholars and Ensemble Pan-gorgeous stuff).

That's some obscure stuff.

I haven't listened to Bulgarian wedding music, but I do have a couple of those Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares cds. Those harmonies blow me away.

I have one Steve Roach cd, The Magnificent Void. I don't know what his other stuff is like. I bought it because someone told me it was like early Tangerine Dream. I'm a big fan of TD's Zeit album. I'm a big fan of krautrock and I used to listen to a lot of Industrial stuff like Nurse With Wound.

I'm an old Deadhead, so I'm familiar with some of Mickey Hart's solo stuff. Mostly the stuff from the '70s.

I love renaissance/medievel music also. I have some Tallis Scholars and Anonymous 4. I also have a bunch of this style on vinyl. It's so cheap to pick up used. I really love the Hilliard Ensemble stuff that ECM put out around 10 years ago.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'd love to hear more. :rsmile:

Just jazz, I've been a jazz junky ever since I heard Hank Mobley playing Hank's Other Tune on Byrd's Eye View about 45 years ago. I've not looked back since. I soon discovered that no other music has the power to constantly surprise and excite. The possibility of the thrill of hearing something new is always there.

I purposefully tried to think of the most obscure stuff in my collection. :P The Bulgarian music I'm referring to is highly energetic dance music, although Americans could not dance to it, as it's all crazy odd-meter stuff. B3-er will have to help me because I can't think of any names right now. There was recently a trend in "Balklan jazz", (sp?) some of which was interesting. The best album of that I know of is Brad Shepik's "The Well". Excellent. I have heard a little of the women's choirs that you mentioned. That is beautiful music.

Speaking of hiphop and the Tallis Scholars, my wife had MTV on the other day and there was a rap video that featured a snippet of the Miserere by Allegri! It was weird; I wasn't sure what the concept was. There were doves flying into the sky as the music played. Must have been symbolic of the afterlife.

My favorite renissance cd is one by Ensemble Pan, though I can't remember the name of it. (I'll check when I get home). The harmonies (all in "just" intonation) are absolutely radiant.

Here's a few classics off the top of my head:

The Great Adventures of Slick Rick

The Beastie Boys "Paul's Boutique"

Ice Cube "Amerikkka's Most Wanted"

EPMD "Strictly Business"

De La Soul "3 Feet High & Rising" "...Is Dead"

A Tribe Called Quest "People's Instinctive Travels And The Paths Of Rhythm" "The Low End Theory"

Digable Planets debut/"Blowout Comb"

Del Tha Funkee Homosapien "I Wish My Brother George Was Here"

Common Sense "Can I Borrow A Dollar?" "Resurrection"

KRS-One "Return Of The Boom-Bap"

Redman "Whut?!! The Album"

Gang Starr "Step In The Arena"

Bahamadia "Kollage"

Jeru Tha Damaja "Wrath Of The Math"

The Roots "Organix" "Do You Want More"

Wu-Tang Clan "Enter The Wu"

Genius/GZA "Liquid Swordz"

Black Sheep "A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing"

The Pharcyde "Bizarre Ride" "Labcabincalifornia"

Outkast "Southernplayalisticcadillacfunkymusic" "ATliens"

Aceyalone "A Book Of Human Language" "Accepted Eclectic"

The Grouch "Making Perfect Sense"

Blood Of Abraham

Typical Cats

Dan The Automator "A Much Better Tomorrow"

DJ Krush "KRUSH" "Meiso"

DJ Honda

Lyricist Lounge

Mos Def & Talib Kweli are Black Star

Mos Def "Black On Both Sides"

Talib Kweli debut/ "Quality"

JLive's debut

Quasimoto "The Unseen"

The only thing I have really gotten warm to has been DeLa Soul and that's ancient already isn't it?

De La's new stuff is pretty good. Check out the tracks "View" or "Declaration" if you're downloading. Also, check out the track they recently did with Cee-Lo, whose album "Cee-Lo Green And His Perfect Imperfections" is a hot one to look for. He is the stand-out member of Goodie Mob, whose debut "Soul Food" is also worth a listen.

I'm with Duke on the only two types of music...good and bad,but about 95% of my "You can't possibly listen to all of those" collection, 2500+,is jazz(Stanley Clarke to Ken Vandermark).I embarass myself almost with some things I like listening to tho',mawkish AOR ballads(not too mawkish mind you)AC/DC,The Bee Gees.Then there's John Martyn to Godspeed You Black Emperor.Did a recent reappraisal of mid 70's King Crimson,check out Starless And Bible Black if you like Headhunters,Spectrum and the Mahavishnus.Some of the best contemporary "junk food" stuff I've heard in the last few years has been from the Mercury Rev/Flaming Lips stable,Icelandic stoners Sigur Ros and Lambchop's sublime "Nixon".See my Avatar,Joni's my "popular" musical heroine(and she keeps good company,take a another bow Wayne.And she brought the best out of Jaco).Given a Desert Island choice of albums(somebody start that thread now,even if it has been done before-it's a great way of discovering new music...there's always something new),they'd be jazz.But single songs would be a different matter.I think at the end of the day it's all down to time,how much time do I have to listen to this thing?My time management tends to fall apart sometime so I do the junk food to keep me going,jazz is something to aspire to in my book,and it delivers handsomely every time!Must unwrap listen to Airports For Light tonight...so much music,so little time as a friend of mine says.

Edited by Green Dolphin

Green Dolphin,

Thanks for the suggestions. I agree with the Mercury Rev/Flaming Lips suggestion. I've always been a big fan of Mercury Rev's first album. Have you heard the Lip's Zaireeka - 4 cds that you play at the same time on different stereos. I've only been able to play 3 at the same time. They're some interesting people.

I too love Joni Mitchell's Hejira. That's my favorite Jaco. I mostly go to Hejira and her albums that came before. My favorite album of hers is her first, Songs to a Seagull. I used to be so in love with her. :)

I've given up on trying to have a "cool" music collection. My friends laugh at some of the stuff I love. Things such as the Incredible String Band. I think I've lost friends over that one. ;)

Nothing to obscure (Bulgarian wedding music?). Just got done reading "Our Band Could Be Your Life" about the 80's indie scene and I'm dragging out all my old Minutemen and Sonic Youth music. "Daydream Nation" actually sent me along the road to jazz, believe it or not.

Ever listen to Bulgarian wedding music? How about Hearts of Space-type stuff(Steve Roach, Mickey Hart, etc.)? Or Renissance music? (I like the Tallis Scholars and Ensemble Pan-gorgeous stuff)

UNNNNbelievable! I actually get to talk about my wife's favorite music for a change! She's a big Steve Roach fan. I can't say I'm a big fan, but it's listenable. Sort of "Gee, Mr. Roach, I love your stuff--if I ever have trouble sleeping, all I have to do is listen to your music!" I'll have to get some Mickey Hart for her if it's in the same vein...

Nothing to obscure (Bulgarian wedding music?). Just got done reading "Our Band Could Be Your Life" about the 80's indie scene and I'm dragging out all my old Minutemen and Sonic Youth music. "Daydream Nation" actually sent me along the road to jazz, believe it or not.

Daydream Nation was a great album. I can totally see it leading someone to modern improv and jazz. When I first saw Nels Cline, he actually reminded me of some Sonic Youth. I have to admit that I'm a big loser and really liked Sonic Youth's Goo. My roomates used to give me grief for that, they called it a sell-out.

I loved the stuff on SST Records, the Minutemen, Husker Du, Firehose. I wish I had some of it on cd. All the albums I have by these guys are on vinyl.

:rsmile:

EPMD "Strictly Business"

A Tribe Called Quest "People's Instinctive Travels And The Paths Of Rhythm" "The Low End Theory"

Bahamadia "Kollage"

Blood Of Abraham

Typical Cats

DJ Krush "KRUSH" "Meiso"

DJ Honda

Lyricist Lounge

JLive's debut

Quasimoto "The Unseen"

God help me, I've turned into a middle aged white man... my first reaction to this list is "why can't these morons spell?" :(

EPMD "Strictly Business"

Bahamadia "Kollage"

Blood Of Abraham

Typical Cats

DJ Krush "KRUSH" "Meiso"

DJ Honda

Lyricist Lounge

JLive's debut

Quasimoto "The Unseen"

God help me, I've turned into a middle aged white man... my first reaction to this list is "why can't these morons spell?" :(

Even more bizarre, I remember how they misspelled the words. Can one diagnose one's self with obsessive compulsive disorder?

Nothing to obscure (Bulgarian wedding music?).

Man, that shit is hip! Joe and I saw Yuri Yakinov at the Folk Festival in East Lansing a few years ago. Those guys were burnin'! It took Joe and I about 5 minutes into each tune to figure out that damn time signature! :) The stuff is nutty! And people dance to this shit! Incredible.

Having been in choir in high school and all through college, I love any choral music. A cappella is the best. I was obsessed with Genesis (mainly the Gabriel era) when I was in middle/high school. I listened to Peter Gabriel in elementary school and that kind of led into the Genesis thing. I tried out other "progressive rock" groups like Yes, ELP, Gentle Giant, Jethro Tull, etc... but I didn't like any of them as much as Genesis.

When I was in elementary school I also used to stay up late on Friday nights and listen to "Hearts of Space". I liked Wendy Carlos, Tomita, Stephen Meecus, Tangerine Dream (the 70s stuff) and all those weird, early synth pioneers.

I listen to mainly jazz and classic soul now, but I'm starting to re-discover my roots and explore some other areas again.

My tastes are relatively diverse. Here's a taste of what I've listened to in the last week:

Gerald Wilson

Lionel Hampton

Dizzy Gillespie

Archie Shepp

Megadeth

Metallica

Beastie Boys

Bee Gees

KC and the Sunshine Band

Minor Threat

Slayer

Morbid Angel

Atheist

Beck

Dr. Dre

Hank Mobley

Herbie Hancock

Miles Davis

Lee Morgan

June Christy

Korn

Fear Factory

Soulfly

Sinch

Queensryche

Grant Green

...and on and on and on. I love variety - I've got music for just about every possible mood, and can listen at almost any time. What more could a guy want? :eye:

Daydream Nation was a great album. I can totally see it leading someone to modern improv and jazz. When I first saw Nels Cline, he actually reminded me of some Sonic Youth. I have to admit that I'm a big loser and really liked Sonic Youth's Goo. My roomates used to give me grief for that, they called it a sell-out.

I loved the stuff on SST Records, the Minutemen, Husker Du, Firehose. I wish I had some of it on cd. All the albums I have by these guys are on vinyl.

:rsmile:

Sandwiched in between the metal years and jazz, for me, was the alternative scene of the early 90's. "Goo" was a good album. (I don't wanna; I don't think so....) Was Daydream Nation the album with the candle on the cover? If so, I had that one too. I also checked out most of what you mentioned here, and some more besides. Did you (or anyone) every check out Bad Brains? I against I is their best album, I saw them in Detroit and it was one of the best rock concerts I've seen.

Edited by Joe G

Hey Vibes,

I was a Slayer fanatic for a while. Reign In Blood was the ultimate speed metel album for me at the time. :P I can't believe those guys are still at it! And the Beastie Boys--Paul's Boutique was great. (It's a trip, it's got a funky beat, and I can bug out to it!)

Jim, I wish I could remember the names of those Hungarian musicians we saw the same year as Yuri. They were great, too.