Kitty Carlisle Hart - R.I.P.

Hart was married to the late playwright and author Moss Hart ("My Fair Lady," "Act One," etc.):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moss_Hart

I once made the mistake of telling someone that she was married to the late lyricist Lorenz Hart; it was explained to me that that was not so and that it would have been a very unlikely marriage in any case. Seems from Moss Hart's bio that theirs was an unlikely marriage too.

Tom Poston should be recognized.

From the Bob Newhart show. He's married to Suzanne Pleshette.

He was on the Steve Allen show in the 1950s, and was funny as hell there. Him & Don Knotts both played characters there that were outside the mold of what they later became typecast as.

Ah, Kitty Carlise. My buddies & I were big To Tell The Truth (Bud Collier) buffs back in the late 60s, when it was on every afternoon on CBS (and into the early 70s (Gary Moore and waaaaay psychedelic sets) in syndication), and we wondered who the hell was this old broad with the goofy hair and even goofier voice. We had had an English teacher or two along the way who acted like that, but they were weird (but, in retrospect, not any weirder than grade-school kids who watched TTTT every day...), and this chick seemed perfectly normal being like this. Kids in the Piney Woods conldn't figure that shit out.

Time passed, and I got out of the Piney Woods, and I came to recognize just what and who she was. I came to appreciate her. When TTTT had a brief daytime "comeback" (Lynn Swann), there she was, only this time she was REALLY old. Otherwise, same ol' Kitty, & it was charming. Then when GSN started running old TTTTs in early afternoon (Gary Moore again), it was a thoroughly flashbacky feelgood treat. Between Orson, Poston, Peggy Cass (another one fer ya') & KC, hey, TV can be good, if totally strange in a thereisnolifeoutsideofaverysmallpartofManhattan kind of way.

R.I.P., and now, I understand. At least as much as anybody who wouldn't last more than a millisecond in her world (and her in mine) can.

Tom Poston should be recognized.

From the Bob Newhart show. He's married to Suzanne Pleshette.

He was on the Steve Allen show in the 1950s, and was funny as hell there. Him & Don Knotts both played characters there that were outside the mold of what they later became typecast as.

Ah, Kitty Carlise. My buddies & I were big To Tell The Truth (Bud Collier) buffs back in the late 60s, when it was on every afternoon on CBS (and into the early 70s (Gary Moore and waaaaay psychedelic sets) in syndication), and we wondered who the hell was this old broad with the goofy hair and even goofier voice. We had had an English teacher or two along the way who acted like that, but they were weird (but, in retrospect, not any weirder than grade-school kids who watched TTTT every day...), and this chick seemed perfectly normal being like this. Kids in the Piney Woods conldn't figure that shit out.

Time passed, and I got out of the Piney Woods, and I came to recognize just what and who she very was. I came to appreciate her. When TTTT had a brief daytime "comeback" (Lynn Swann), there she was, only this time she was REALLY old. Otherwise, same ol' Kitty, & it was charming. Then when GSN started running old TTTTs in early afternoon (Gary Moore again), it was a thoroughly flashbacky feelgood treat. Between Orson, Poston, Peggy Cass (another one fer ya') & KC, hey, TV can be good, if totally strange in a thereisnolifeoutsideofaverysmallpartofManhattan kind of way.

R.I.P., and now, I understand. At least as much as anybody who wouldn't last more than a millisecond in her world (and her in mine) can.

very beautiful thoughts. thanks.