Delmark

montg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How's the Eric Alexander stuff on Delmark? I like his Milestone albums quite a bit...

I think these are his earliest recordings and he sounds more like his inspirations (I hear more Dex in his early days than George Coleman) - there are better CDs out there.

How's the Eric Alexander stuff on Delmark? I like his Milestone albums quite a bit...

I think these are his earliest recordings and he sounds more like his inspirations (I hear more Dex in his early days than George Coleman) - there are better CDs out there.

I think that's true, though I do like "Mode for Mabes" - but he and Mabern always sound just right together, to me.

MG

These are the Delmarks I have - great stuff.

Earl Hines - At The Party

Earl Hines - Meets The Duke's Men

Albert Nicholas/Art Hodes - Albert's Back In Town

Albert Nicholas/Art Hodes - New Orleans-Chicago Connection

George Lewis - Ice Cream

George Lewis - Hello Central...Give Me Doctor Jazz

George Lewis/Ralph Sutton - Reunion

Charles Thompson - Takin' Off

Sun Ra - Sound Of Joy

Sun Ra - Sun Song

Eddie Cleanhead Vinson - Kidney Stew Is Fine

Jimmy Forrest - Night Train

Arnett Cobb - Blows For 1300

Sorry if I missed it but don't think anyone mentioned Earl Hines "At Home". It is a wonderful solo recording from his solo prime.

Also lacking are recommendations of the "country" blues recordings of Big Joe Williams and Sleepy John Estes. These alone are enough to vault Bob Koester into the recording pantheon.

Edit to say I see Paul Secor (no surprise) mentioned a couple of the recordings mentioned above.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Robert Nighthawk: Bricks in My Pillow

YES! The Moon is Rising is one of my absolute favorite pieces of blues on record. The rest of the album is superb as well.

I don't believe that anyone has mentioned George Freeman's Birth Sign yet. So I will. :)

Edited by John L

If you like the Tab Smith's you will probably also like the Paul Bascomb, United Sessions. I'd also like to second Ken's (KH1958) recommendation for Robert Ward's New Role Soul. I also would like to recommend blues guitarist Dave Specter's Speculatin', Blues Spoken Here, and last year's Dave Spector and Steve Freund release, Is What It Is. Funny, even though I am a big Ronnie Earl fan, I didn't care for Specter's release with Earl.

If you like the Tab Smith's you will probably also like the Paul Bascomb, United Sessions.

Ah yes, I was forgetting about him. He used to play with the Erskine Hawkins band. Must get around to that material.

In similar vein, I believe, there are a coupl of Chris Woods albums on Delmarkm that I haven't got around to - even though my friend told me about them in the late '70s :wacko:

MG

• 5 months later...

Some new releases from Delmark..I'm particularly interested in the Keefe Jackson and the Ari Brown--good to see Corey Wilkes is recording as a leader:

delmark myspace

Delmark New Releases for October and November

October 2007 New Releases

Nicole Mitchell - Black Unstoppable (Delmark DVD 1575 / DE 575 )

Nicole Mitchell has been celebrated for bringing an exciting new approach to flute improvisation. Co-president of the Association for the Advancement of Creative Musicians (AACM), Mitchell is the founder of the critically acclaimed Black Earth Ensemble. 1 in Downbeat magazine's critic's poll for "Rising Star Flutist 2006 and 2007," Mitchell has performed with creative luminaries including George Lewis, Anthony Braxton, James Newton and Muhal Richard Abrams. Awarded "Chicagoan of the Year 2006" by the Chicago Tribune, Mitchell does a variety of residencies, workshops and panel discussions in Europe, Canada and the U.S. with a focus on creative music. Nicole Mitchell, flute; David Boykin, saxophone; David Young, trumpet, Jeff Parker, guitar; Tomeka Reid, cello; Josh Abrams, bass; Marcus Evans, drums; Ugochi, vocals. DVD is live at the Velvet Lounge, CD is studio recording of the same new compositions.

Ari Brown - Live at The Green Mill (Delmark DVD 1577 / DE 577)

In reviews of Ari's first two Delmark albums, Ultimate Frontier (Delmark 486) and Venus (504), writers often used phrases like "overwhelming emotional immediacy" (Down Beat), "rare depth of feeling" (Jazziz) and "raw emotion and ferocity" (JazzTimes). Ari carries on the Chicago tenor sax and the AACM traditions. He melds them into his own voice and no matter how far out he takes the music it still remains accessible and enjoyable. Live at The Green Mill features the same rhythm section Ari's been working with for over ten years: brother Kirk Brown, piano; Yosef Ben Israel, bass; Avreeayl Ra, drums. Also featured on a few tracks are Pharez Whitted, trumpet and Dr. Cuz, percussion. DVD also features commentary/interview track.

Brad Goode - Nature Boy (Delmark DE 578)

Jazz trumpeter Brad Goode is a former Chicagoan who now resides in Colorado, where he teaches at the University of Colorado at Boulder. He led the house band at The Green Mill for a dozen years and made numerous appearances at The Jazz Showcase with Joe Henderson, Eddie Harris, Lee Konitz, James Moody, Red Rodney, Ira Sullivan and others. Of his previous Delmark CD, Down Beat said "Goode shows more range of expression than ever on Hypnotic..Delmark 567) ***1/2. Nature Boy contains 12 songs including four new Goode compositions. Brad is accompanied by Jeff Jenkins, piano; Johannes Weidenmueller, bass; and Todd Reid, drums. Also available: Shock Of The New (Delmark 440).

Jimmy Blythe - Messin' Around Blues (Delmark DE 792)

In 1915 Jimmy Blythe moved from his native Kentucky to Chicago. He found a great deal of work as a pianist for Paramount, Vocalion and Gennett. Blythe was prolific and accompanied many jazz and blues artists such as Ma Rainey and Blind Blake on their recordings. He also produced hundreds of piano rolls for use in nickelodeons for the Capitol Music Roll Company of Chicago. He led dozens of recording sessions often with southside musicians like Johnny Dodds. Blythe is considered one of the first Boogie Woogie piano players, but he was a versatile musician who could handle many diverse styles. His song, "Chicago Stomp", is generally considered to be the first recorded example of Boogie Woogie. Jimmy Blythe died suddenly of epidemic meningitis in 1931 just months after these piano rolls were recorded. With help of digital technology these rolls will sound more full and rich than ever before.

November 2007 New Releases

Little Arthur Duncan - Live at Rosa's Blues Lounge (Delmark DE 793/DVD 1793)

Blues vocalist/songwriter/bandleader/harmonica player Little Arthur Duncan is now in his 73rd year and is not slowing down one bit. On this brand new August 2007 recording Arthur's performance is powerful and amazing. He is accompanied by his band The Backscratchers – Illinois Slim and Rick Kreher on guitar; Michael Azzi on bass; and Twist Turner on drums. With special guest vocalist Little Al Thomas. Recorded and videotaped at one of Chicago's friendliest blues clubs, Rosa's Blues Lounge. DVD special features include Little Arthur commentary/interview track. Also available: Singin' With The Sun (Delmark 733).

Sabertooth - Live at the Green Mill (Delmark DE 579)

Formed in 1990 by saxophonists Pat Mallinger and Cameron Pfiffner, Sabertooth explores a variety of musical genres in the quartet format of two saxophones, drums (Ted Sirota) and organ (Pete Benson). The band's repertoire includes many original compositions; some inspired from various ethnic origins. In addition, the band often performs standards and jazz classics. Sabertooth continues an extended residency at one of Chicago's premier jazz clubs, the famous Green Mill Lounge. The band has been playing to capacity audiences every Saturday evening for ten years. This energy is represented on Live at the Green Mill, recorded June 23, 2007.

Keefe Jackson's Project Project - Just Like This (Delmark DE 580)

Twelve piece band playing six fresh new compositions with amazing charts written by leader, tenor saxist Keefe Jackson. Project Project is Josh Berman, Jaimie Branch, trumpet; Jeb Bishop, Nick Broste, trombone; Marc Unternahrer, tuba; James Falzone, clarinet; Guillermo Gregorio, alto sax/clarinet; Keefe Jackson, tenor sax/bass clarinet; Jason Stein, bass clarinet; Dave Rempis, alto and baritone sax; Anton Harwich, bass; Frank Rosaly, drums. TheFayetteville, Arkansas native moved to Chicago in 2001 and garnered much critical acclaim with his 2006 release Ready Everyday (Delmark 571). Stylistically could be described as Mingus meets AACM!

Mike Walbridge's Chicago Footwarmers featuring Kim Cusack - Crazy Rhythm (Delmark DE 247)

Traditional jazz tubaist Mike Walbridge has been active on the Chicago scene for forty five years as leader of The Chicago Footwarmers and a member of the Chicago Salty Dogs. Clarinetist/alto saxist Kim Cusack has been jamming with Mike since their teens! Kim has been active for many years also in the Footwarmers, the Salty Dogs, Jim Dapogny's Chicago Jazz Band and several groups at Andy's, one of Chicago's best jazz clubs. This CD features two mid-60s sessions previously available on the Blackbird label plus a newly recorded 2007 session. The 60s sessions feature Johnny Cooper, piano; Eddie Lynch, banjo; Glen Koch, drums. The 2007 session features Don Stiernberg, banjo/guitar; Bob Cousins, drums.

Just Announced: Delmark's next DVD/CD Recording!

*Wednesday, Octboer 10, 2007 : Corey Wilkes at Close Up 2, 7pm, 416 S. Clark, Chicago

"During the past few years, Corey Wilkes has blossomed into one of the boldest, most versatile young trumpeters in Chicago jazz. Whether inventing strangely innovative sounds with the Art Ensemble of Chicago or fronting a straight- ahead group, he proves that a nimble technique and a sense of adventure can distinguish a musician from his peers" Howard Reich- Chicago Tribune Arts Critic