Delmark

montg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you need reminding, you said "Hit-or-miss, like anybody else. I used to have the early Delmarks and at least one Black Saint, all of which I sold (the Delmarks needed condition upgrades that never actually happened). I've retained the double-vinyl duo with Don Moye on India Navigation, which I like."

Please don't make me tell you about reality again.

Accept my apology for being there when it happened.

I haven't seen Jodie Christian mentioned anywhere in this thread yet, but his recordings are not to be missed. Christian is certainly not a big name nationally, but he's well known among long-time Chicago musicians and plays wonderful bluesy, soulful jazz piano. All his Delmark recordings are outstanding, but my favorites are:

Jodie Christian - Experience (trio)

Jodie Christian - Front Line (quintet/sextet)

why're we busting cliffs balls here? his vinyl was in dumpy condition. he wants some cleaner shit. he likes the albums. jeez.

Dumpy, if I can call you that <_< , the Jarman thread was about recommendations and Cliffie said he dumped the Delmarks because they needed sonic upgrades - no mention of format and I took exception since I had produced both reissues and had done a "sonic upgrade" in the past few months. Now he says he's talking about the condition of his vinyl purchases - a very different thing than the impression left on the thread.

Why are you busting my balls here?

Cliffie said he dumped the Delmarks because they needed sonic upgrades

the term used was "condition upgrades"

For some reason Couw is on my case.

sure, just like when Clifford supposedly dumped on the sonic quality of those records your produced. :rhappy:

stop being so paranoid man, I'm merely pointing out a factual mistake in your quoting of a fellow board member.

sheesh.

FWIW, I didn't "quote" him. I simply pointed out he typed something that could/would be misunderstood in context.

no, you didn't "quote" him in the technical board sense, you just put some words in his mouth:

Cliffie said he dumped the Delmarks because they needed sonic upgrades

no trace of "could/would" in that, really.

Don't know if this has been mentioned but I'd like to put a word out for the NRG Ensemble's "This is my House" which I think nicely showcases the band, esp Ken Vandermark after Hal Russell's death.

I have a handful of recordings from this wonderful label. Here's what I have:

Anthony Braxton: For Alto

Anthony Braxton: Three Comps. In New Jazz

Sun Ra: Sun Song

AEC: Live

Roscoe Mitchell: Sound

Now it seems I have a lot more to pick up :tup