Record cleaning machines

Clunky

I am considering getting a Clearaudio Smart Matrix RCM (£450) to clean up a fair and increasing number of dirty LPs in my collection. I've had a few particularly dirty specimens cleaned for me and the results were spectacular in removing unwanted clicks and pops.

My question relates more to mass of LPs I have, which are not obviously dirty. Will the removal of Mould release agent by this method make any significant improvements to the sound or is this just nonsense ?

Edited by Clunky

I am considering getting a Clearaudio Smart Matrix RCM (£450) to clean up a fair an increasing number of dirty LPs in my collection. I've had a few particularly dirty specimens cleaned for me and the results were spectacular in removing unwanted clicks and pops.

My question relates more to mass of LPs I have, which are not obviously dirty. Will the removal of Mould release agent by this method make any significant improvements to the sound or is this just nonsense ?

Yessss, clean all your records, even the brand new one`s.

Please. Avoid alcohol in your cleaning fluid!!!

Buy a concentrate ( Okki Nokki, Clearaudio or L`art du Son) and use distilled water.

What is Mould release agent?

Not sure, perhaps Chuck knows ? RCM manufacturers claim that it sticks to new LPs and its removal (from a new pristine LP) improves playback. No support yet for that claim from the feedback here, so far.

Here is mine: I d`nt play uncleaned records any more for the last 6 years.

Buy a new record play it, clean it on a decent RCM and listen again. :)

What is Mould release agent?

Not sure, perhaps Chuck knows ? RCM manufacturers claim that it sticks to new LPs and its removal (from a new pristine LP) improves playback. No support yet for that claim from the feedback here, so far.

I stick all new LPs under a VPI for a couple of cycles with RR Solutions cleansers. There;s a marked improvement - expanded soundstage.

clunky- i applaud your extravagant lifestyle where u can buy a machine instead of using fluid + cloth. but frankly even if i had your weath i would still probably wanna buy more records w/ it instead

You can buy an entry level Nitty Gritty for $300. They require more work on the part of the user - they're less automated - but clean the records just as good.

I would argue that, if money is a big issue, they're a good investment. An inexpensive, less than pristine copy of a rare record can sound amazing once you've removed those layers of mystery residue.

IMHO, a record cleaning machine is the most effective upgrade for those who love their vinyl. Audio Advisor sells a budget model made by Nitty Gritty on their website.

If you are on a real tight budget there is a vacuum machine made by nitty gritty but sold by KAB that you supply the vacuum cleaner @www.kabusa.com.

What's VPI stand for? Vinyl ? ?

Very Phuckin Ixspensive?

True, but I have a new one since a week, and I am starting to think that is the best buy I did in the audio market, togheter with a decent dedicated record cleaning fluid.

I was actually thinking more of their TT's

What's VPI stand for? Vinyl ? ?

Very Phuckin Ixspensive?

True, but I have a new one since a week, and I am starting to think that is the best buy I did in the audio market, togheter with a decent dedicated record cleaning fluid.

I was actually thinking more of their TT's

To be honest they have a complete range of TT, arm, ecc, with a wide range of prices. Obviously there are cheaper turntable out there. About TT I think that the production cost is generally higher then electronics. Sophisticated machinery is much more expensive then printed circuit board based electronics, so I tend to be forgiven about TT prices, compared to other hi-fi stuff.

• 1 month later...

I am considering getting a Clearaudio Smart Matrix RCM (£450) to clean up a fair and increasing number of dirty LPs in my collection. I've had a few particularly dirty specimens cleaned for me and the results were spectacular in removing unwanted clicks and pops.

I decided in the end to go for the Clearaudio smart matrix RCM. It was available locally and is well made and apparently quieter than most. I believe that it has a lot in common with the Okki Nokki machine but has a number of trimmings added to make it quieter, heat/overfill cut out sensor, lid, etc.

Have only cleaned 20 or so LPs so far. I had no idea so many of my apparently clean Lps were in fact so dirty. Lots of pops and crackles have disappeared and some LPs sound "smoother" than before.

I'm using the provided Clearaudio fluid and also a 1:3 ratio of isopropyl alcohol to distilled water + few drops of wetting agent. Results seem the same for either solution. I've yet to notice improvements in dynamic range but happy not to hear a lot of low grade crackle.

Still not entirely clear what fluid I should use. Why do some say avoid alcohol solutions. My dealer specifically recommended it over more expensive stuff he could easily of tried to flog me ?

I decided in the end to go for the Clearaudio smart matrix RCM. It was available locally and is well made and apparently quieter than most. I believe that it has a lot in common with the Okki Nokki machine but has a number of trimmings added to make it quieter, heat/overfill cut out sensor, lid, etc.

Have only cleaned 20 or so LPs so far. I had no idea so many of my apparently clean Lps were in fact so dirty. Lots of pops and crackles have disappeared and some LPs sound "smoother" than before.

I'm using the provided Clearaudio fluid and also a 1:3 ratio of isopropyl alcohol to distilled water + few drops of wetting agent. Results seem the same for either solution. I've yet to notice improvements in dynamic range but happy not to hear a lot of low grade crackle.

Still not entirely clear what fluid I should use. Why do some say avoid alcohol solutions. My dealer specifically recommended it over more expensive stuff he could easily of tried to flog me ?

Never used alcohol solutions, not that I have some explanations based on chemistry or physic for avoiding them.

I use Disc Doctor Miracle Record Cleaning with distilled water for rinsing. And I used Disc Doctor brushes, far better then VPI build in brushes. I tried GoldZyme too, but, in my brief experience, if Disc Doctor fluids can't remove the pops and clicks, no other stuff can't.

Disc Doctor fluids is not expensive if you buy it concentrate, and distilled water...well, actually I don't know if I use more distilled water for ironing my shirts or for cleaning my Blue Note...so I wouldn't be able to made an exact estimation. :)

Edited by porcy62

If you don't have the resources to spring for a machine, what's the best way to clean your vinyl? I have a lot of dirty LP's I've picked up used or inherited from my dad who didn't take good care of them. I usually use dishsoap and water, and it helps, but I know there's a lot of stuff I'm not getting out. What to do? On the DVD for "Desperate Man Blues," Joe Bussard uses a shoe brush to clean his 78s. Is that a bad idea for vinyl?