Mono cartridge

4XB

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my Mono button on my Sugden does it for me ( for LPs at least)

The "mono" switch on your Sugden simply sums the two channels into one. Every sound picked up in each channel is now played back in both channels.

This is great for "electronically reprocessed" stereo records, but does not enjoy the benefits of true mono playback.

The "mono" switch on your Sugden simply sums the two channels into one. Every sound picked up in each channel is now played back in both channels.

This is great for "electronically reprocessed" stereo records, but does not enjoy the benefits of true mono playback.

True, but my question is: do you switch cartdriges when you want to listen to a stereo record?

From my POV, since I have both mono and stereo records, the only acceptable solution would be a TT with two arms, or two TT's. My Linn can't mount two arms, so I should replace it, or buy another one, and what about phono stage? I should buy another one, or replace the existing one with something that has two inputs, plus I have to buy another couple of cables. At this point the switcher on the amp/preamp is an acceptable compromise. My two cents.

Do you cover one ear when you "go mono"?

Chuck, Chuck...I am suprised that an old fox like you doesn't know the trick: just rotate your listening chair of 90 degrees, clockwise or not closkwise, it depends on wich of your ears is healthier.

Edited by porcy62

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told that a mono cartridge does exactly the same thing, i.e., that it's wired to sum the left and the right to give you mono.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

I know some vinyl fans who own a dedicated turntable or an extra mono cartridge for mono pressings, but as a newcomer to vinyl, I will never be able to afford original mono pressings from the 50's and early 60's.

For some recordings, the mono mix sounds considerably different from the stereo mix. In that case, it would be great to have the two mixes on a CD release. So far, this has AFAIK only been done with the "John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman" hybrid SACD reissue.

"Electronically reprocessed" stereo records should not be played with a mono cartrige. They should be thrown away ;)

Edited by Claude

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told that a mono cartridge does exactly the same thing, i.e., that it's wired to sum the left and the right to give you mono.

You're wrong. AFIK a true mono cartridge translates only one way oscillations, vertically or horizontally I don't remember, a stereo cartridge translates both in order to have two different channels. So you have only one source of sound, and noise, damages,ecc. They don't are added as in the mono/stereo switcher. I may be wrong about the details, but correct about the principle. A fake mono cartdrige does exactly what you say.

Edited by porcy62

True, but my question is: do you switch cartridges when you want to listen to a stereo record?

From my POV, since I have both mono and stereo records, the only acceptable solution would be a TT with two arms, or two TT's. My Linn can't mount two arms, so I should replace it, or buy another one, and what about phono stage? I should buy another one, or replace the existing one with something that has two inputs, plus I have to buy another couple of cables. At this point the switcher on the amp/preamp is an acceptable compromise. My two cents.

I have 2 arms and 2 phonostage`s.

A mono cartridge generate only signal from the horizontal movement and it is complete insensitive to the vertical axis.

A mono pressing has no information in the vertical axis. There is just dirt and groove dammage.

Please do`nt fool with your Linn. Buy a cheap second one when you are ready for it.

True, but my question is: do you switch cartridges when you want to listen to a stereo record?

I have 2 arms and 2 phonostage`s.

Ah yes, wich TT and phonstages?

You're wrong. AFIK a true mono cartridge translates only one way oscillations, vertically or horizontally I don't remember, a stereo cartridge translates both in order to have two different channels.

While we await someone more knowledgeable in these matters , here is my understanding of the subject :

While it's true that mono cartridges only respond laterally in the horizontal plane , they still pick up two different inputs or signals , inasmuch as they pick up the information contained on both the right and left wall of the groove . This fact is put to use in amplifiers that have buttons for , 'Left Mono' , 'Right Mono' or 'Right + Left Mono' . Such buttons can be useful if one side of the groove is noticeably noisier than the other , but ordinarily , summing both left and right channels yields the highest signal-to-noise ratio .

If it's true that the Grado cartridge mentioned above sums both right and left channels does this mean there is no difference between it and a stereo cartridge outputted through a double Y connector or a mono button on an amp ? . No . A stereo cartridge will pick up noise in the form of a vertical component of the playback signal which was not in the mono input signal , but results from variances in groove width caused by the cutting process . The Grado and other mono cartridges , since they are wired to be unresponsive to information in the vertical axis* , will not have this added noise . A modern stereo cartridge with an elliptical stylus yields less of this type of noise than an older conical stylus , provided its diameter is not too small , but there is still a measurable difference. So the question becomes whether this difference is an audible one .

Getting the most out of monophonic sound goes beyond having the right cartridge or the right stylus geometry and size . If your playing pre-1955 records you need to know which companies used which equalization curves , and then you'll need some kind of variable EQ functionality on your preamp!

* While they ignore vertical signals , modern mono cartridges now have greater tolerance for vertical movement , which is why they are no longer damaging to stereo record grooves

You're wrong. AFIK a true mono cartridge translates only one way oscillations, vertically or horizontally I don't remember, a stereo cartridge translates both in order to have two different channels.

While we await someone more knowledgeable in these matters , here is my understanding of the subject :

While it's true that mono cartridges only respond laterally in the horizontal plane , they still pick up two different inputs or signals , inasmuch as they pick up the information contained on both the right and left wall of the groove . This fact is put to use in amplifiers that have buttons for , 'Left Mono' , 'Right Mono' or 'Right + Left Mono' . Such buttons can be useful if one side of the groove is noticeably noisier than the other , but ordinarily , summing both left and right channels yields the highest signal-to-noise ratio .

If it's true that the Grado cartridge mentioned above sums both right and left channels does this mean there is no difference between it and a stereo cartridge outputted through a double Y connector or a mono button on an amp ? . No . A stereo cartridge will pick up noise in the form of a vertical component of the playback signal which was not in the mono input signal , but results from variances in groove width caused by the cutting process . The Grado and other mono cartridges , since they are wired to be unresponsive to information in the vertical axis* , will not have this added noise . A modern stereo cartridge with an elliptical stylus yields less of this type of noise than an older conical stylus , provided its diameter is not too small , but there is still a measurable difference. So the question becomes whether this difference is an audible one .

Getting the most out of monophonic sound goes beyond having the right cartridge or the right stylus geometry and size . If your playing pre-1955 records you need to know which companies used which equalization curves , and then you'll need some kind of variable EQ functionality on your preamp!

* While they ignore vertical signals , modern mono cartridges now have greater tolerance for vertical movement , which is why they are no longer damaging to stereo record grooves

Thanks. Very helpful explanation.

Abour the RIAA equalization, I assume that, because most of us are collecting LPs post 1955, ie 10' and 12' 33 rpm, we don't need a variable EQ phono stage. May you confirm this? There is some source on the net about EQ curves used by labels before the RIAA? Thanks in advance.

Interesting results can be produced by rewiring the cartridge from stereo to mono. This rewiring can be outside the turntable.

Yes , those without mono cartridges or without a mono button on their amp can put two Y adaptors between the turntable and the amp . No need to rewire the cartridge itself .

The two male RCA jacks from the turntable are put into a Y adaptor with two female RCA jacks going into one male RCA jack . This male RCA jack is then put into a Y adapator with one female RCA jack going into two male RCA jacks . These two male RCA jacks are then plugged into the phono stage of your amp .