Mono cartridge

4XB

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allan, that's hardcore.

It was a long journey to get here, believe me! I started out in the 70's with a cheap AR--then I stepped up to a Thorens 125 and kept that until around 1980 when I bought a direct-drive Denon. A couple of years later I went with a SOTA and then on to a Linn LP12 which I kept in my main system for years until I bought this Thorens on a lark. That was about 15 years ago. The 124 led to the old SME arms which led me to the Orotfon SPU range and that's where I've ended up. The SPU is perfect for me--the best jazz cartridge I have ever owned.

I'm done. I will keep this rig the rest of my life . . .

The only one I would be willing to try is the Denon 102.

I know it's not a "true" mono cartrdige in that it moves in both planes and can play stereo records, but I have been told it's really a great value and sounds fantastic with mono LPs.

You will need a big, heavy tonearm to make it sing, however (think SME, FR, Ortofon, etc.).

That`s true my Denon 102 sounds amazing on mono records. ( 14" Clearaudio Unify )

Mono sounds more natural as stereo.

• 8 months later...

I didn't read again the whole thread, but...I just mounted a true mono cartdrige on my new TT, and...

yes, it's worth every hassle or penny or pain, if you have a chance, do it. :wub:

Which one did you get?

I got a brand new Lyra Helicon for half the U.S. price, that is one third of E.U. price, that kind of offer you can't refuse. At the moment I am playing it throgh a very cheap used NAD phono stage borrowed by my hi-fi pusher, I can't image how it could sound through a serious phono stage.

I am on the market for a good used phono stage, preferibily with two MC inputs. Hard to find over here.

edit: my mono records just resurrected like Jesus: old Beatles, BN, Riverside, you name it. I still can't believe it.

Edited by porcy62

I didn't read again the whole thread, but...I just mounted a true mono cartdrige on my new TT, and...

yes, it's worth every hassle or penny or pain, if you have a chance, do it. :wub:

Which one did you get?

I got a brand new Lyra Helicon for half the U.S. price, that is one third of E.U. price, that kind of offer you can't refuse. At the moment I am playing it throgh a very cheap used NAD phono stage borrowed by my hi-fi pusher, I can't image how it could sound through a serious phono stage.

I am on the market for a good used phono stage, preferibily with two MC inputs. Hard to find over here.

edit: my mono records just resurrected like Jesus: old Beatles, BN, Riverside, you name it. I still can't believe it.

Wow... I'm happy for you. That Lyra Helican must sound tremendous! Enjoy spinning those mono records...

and tomorrow no job, so... :excited:

Grrrr........ gotta retire ! :excited:

Hey porcy - any thoughts about that new Superline phono stage that Naim are putting out?

No, I wasn't aware of this and I can't find it in the Naim website.

Among new stuff I am closely looking that one:

http://www.einstein-audio.de/english/produ...ntable_eng.html

Lots of good reviews, german made, variable loading impedence, small size, and an half human price. Not personally auditioned it yet.

I hope to intercept some used big toyy when it will enter my fave hi-fi shop, though good phono stages are the rarest gears, like good turntables, in the used market over here. I am wondering why. ;)

Edited by porcy62

Which one did you get?

Porcy,

The Lyra Helicon must be the best mono cartridge available. May I ask which turntable you have?

I have been thinking of buying a Helicon myself as 80% of my records are mono, but at the same time I am thinking of replacing my (very old) Thorens.

Porcy,

The Lyra Helicon must be the best mono cartridge available. May I ask which turntable you have?

I have been thinking of buying a Helicon myself as 80% of my records are mono, but at the same time I am thinking of replacing my (very old) Thorens.

Peter, of course you may ask.

I bought a used, but practically new, Brinkmann Lagrange with two tonearms, pretty expensive, but it was another offer I couldn't refuse. I traded my Linn for it, plus a big amount of Euros, overall a good deal that probably I couldn't afford. :ph34r:

Generally I upgrade my stuff in the used market. So I use the occasion when I see a good gear at the shop.

Few months ago there was a used Linn LP12 at the shop, I was tempted to buy it for a mono cartdrige, but I haven't got the room for two TT in my house, so I passed. When I saw the Brinkmann...well, I couldn't resist.

About the Lyra, it sounds and tracks great even on my most worned records.

Have you got a trusted hi-fi seller over there? Maybe you could find a good used TT for mono records and keep your old Thorens for the stereos. I believe that a Denon mono cartdrige could do a god job as well and maybe in the next future you could upgrade to the Lyra.

Edited by porcy62

No, I wasn't aware of this and I can't find it in the Naim website.

Among new stuff I am closely looking that one:

http://www.einstein-audio.de/english/produ...ntable_eng.html

There's mention of it in the Naim forums and some of the dealers are doing demos over here. Not yet on sale.

Just demoing a Supercap II power supply unit with my pre-amp at the moment and the results are :tup:tup

How much approximately is this 'Einstein' beastie?

3400 euros, not yet checked out for a discount, but I doubt, usually german manufactures have clean and fixed prices, like Linn and Naim.

:blink:

I'll pass !

I think the Superline is likely to be around £1500. A relative 'bargain' !

I can usually negotiate a discount for Linn and Naim. :)

Edited by sidewinder

3400 euros, not yet checked out for a discount, but I doubt, usually german manufactures have clean and fixed prices, like Linn and Naim.

:blink:

I'll pass !

I think the Superline is likely to be around £1500. A relative 'bargain' !

I can usually negotiate a discount for Linn and Naim. :)

No way over here, Linn Italy is worst then the italian branch of Steve Job's Apple. :rhappy:

I'd be interested in a Naim phono stage at that price if it'd have some features like two imputs and variable loading impedence.

I'll keep my eyes and ears open for it.

It's generating quite a bit of a stir on the Naim forums. The only problem is that you need a separate power supply for it. So with Hicap (using typical second hand price) it would work out a total £2k and with Supercap it would be a staggering £4.5k total. The only reason I'm thinking about it is that I'll have a spare Hicap which I could possibly use for it.

It's generating quite a bit of a stir on the Naim forums. The only problem is that you need a separate power supply for it. So with Hicap (using typical second hand price) it would work out a total £2k and with Supercap it would be a staggering £4.5k total. The only reason I'm thinking about it is that I'll have a spare Hicap which I could possibly use for it.

That makes a lot of sense, but I don't have any Naim gear in my system so...

Since I have two cartdriges I have two choices:

1) keep my Linn and buy another phono stage, that would means another couple of interconnets and finding some room for it.

2) buy a two imputs phono stage and trade my Linn for it, my fave choice.

Unfortunately it seems that there are no two imputs phono stages at human price. So I'll wait for a used one.

Don't ask me why I don't just switch cables from one tonearms to the others. I did twice and I got the connector in my hand and the cables in the other. So I had to fix it. And the Linn phono stage is not exactly a pro gear so I am sure that switching cables would lead to a broken plug.

No way over here, Linn Italy is worst then the italian branch of Steve Job's Apple. :rhappy:

That's made my day. It's nice to know that there is at least 1 reason to live here. Not many left these days.. :excited:

I'll give another one.

the italian government just resigned, so Berlusconi could strike back. (Please MG, don't move the post in the political forum ;) )

Peter, of course you may ask.

I bought a used, but practically new, Brinkmann Lagrange with two tonearms, pretty expensive, but it was another offer I couldn't refuse. I traded my Linn for it, plus a big amount of Euros, overall a good deal that probably I couldn't afford. :ph34r:

Generally I upgrade my stuff in the used market. So I use the occasion when I see a good gear at the shop.

Few months ago there was a used Linn LP12 at the shop, I was tempted to buy it for a mono cartdrige, but I haven't got the room for two TT in my house, so I passed. When I saw the Brinkmann...well, I couldn't resist.

About the Lyra, it sounds and tracks great even on my most worned records.

Have you got a trusted hi-fi seller over there? Maybe you could find a good used TT for mono records and keep your old Thorens for the stereos. I believe that a Denon mono cartdrige could do a god job as well and maybe in the next future you could upgrade to the Lyra.

Thanks, Porcy. Congrats with your new Brinkmann TT; I just read a elaborate (and enthousiastic) review on the internet and I must say, it looks very impressive! Never seen one in Holland. Like you I don't have space for two TT's (stereo and mono) so a TT with two arms would be a perfect solution.