Andrew Hill died today

keys

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man... I'd just pulled out the 1963-66 Mosaic a week or two ago & started listening to it for the nth time (first Mosaic I ever got). He really pulled me into a lot of music from that era, and I know he had a big impact on younger musicians such as Greg Osby and Frank Kimbrough. Knew he was ill, but this is still a big blow--time kind of stopped for a few moments when I saw the thread headline.

I just got this message:

Please note the following, from Howard Mandel in NYC…

I've been asked by composer and pianist Andrew Hill's family to announce to the press that he died at 4 a.m. today, April 20, 2007, several years after being diagnosed with lung cancer. He was 75 years old and lived in Jersey City, NJ.

Hill, born June 30, 1931 in Chicago, Illinois (contrary to some previously published places and dates dates), had a lengthy international career as performer and recording artist, and educator (at Portland State University; he also gave master classes at New York University, and elsewhere; he leaves a voluminous and highly varied recorded legacy, dating from the 1950s (So In Love) to his 2006 trio album Time Lines (Blue Note), named to many critics' top ten lists. Hill is survived by his wife Joanne Robinson Hill, and a neice, nephew and cousin, besides a devoted coterie of friends, typically creative artists and perceptive fans.

As announced on April 11, Andrew Hill will receive an honorary doctorate of music degree from Berklee College of Music at commencement May 12

I had a chance to get to know Andrew a little bit over the past few years. He made the world a better place with his music. His courage in the face of his terrible illness is an inspiration.

I am very surprised to find out he was older than always has been published.

Goodbye, Andrew.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand