Andrew Hill died today

keys

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, we all knew this was coming, sometime sooner or later -- but I still feel a bit of a hole in my heart.

Andrew's music captured my imagination like well less than half-a-dozen other musicians ever have.

I'm at work at the moment -- but I'll be spinning "Black Fire", "Passing Ships", Disc #3 of the Hill BN Select (the crazy one with Woody Shaw and Sam Rivers), and "Timelines" tonight and tomorrow.

Something to be thankful for, though, is the full and productive life Andrew lead. He certainly followed his own muse. God bless Andrew Hill.

This is a big bummer. I will always remember that concert I saw in June of 2000 with Andrew, Jackie Mac, Hutcherson and Smilin' Billy. What a show!

Was that the show at Town Hall in NYC? I know all those guys did a show together in NYC in 2000.

I have some fairly recent photos of Andrew from one of his last gigs he did in NYC. I'll to post some of them.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

This is a big bummer. I will always remember that concert I saw in June of 2000 with Andrew, Jackie Mac, Hutcherson and Smilin' Billy. What a show!

Was that the show at Town Hall in NYC? I know all those guys did a show together in NYC in 2000.

I have some fairly recent photos of Andrew from one of his last gigs he did in NYC. I'll to post some of them.

That was actually at Aaron Davis Hall at City College. One of the many times I had the joy of experiencing Hill's music live. I am in shock right now and find myself suddenly saddened on an otherwise beautiful day after so many dismal rainy days. Andrew Hill has been one of my favorites since my college days twenty years ago when I really started to investigate the music.

My prayers go out to his family.

I'm sad to hear this of course, but the news makes me happy that late in life he was able to enjoy the recognition that his life's work deserved.

P.S. When Charles Brown died, Mosaic received a rush of orders for his set and sold out of them. Perhaps those of you who are fans of Andrew Hill should consider immediately ordering his Mosaic Select.

Edited by GA Russell

I'm sad to hear this of course, but the news makes me happy that late in life he was able to enjoy the recognition that his life's work deserved.

P.S. When Charles Brown died, Mosaic received a rush of orders for his set and sold out of them. Perhaps those of you who are fans of Andrew Hill should consider immediately ordering his Mosaic Select.

I thought it was out of print?

Agreed. We really have to thank MC for all the Andrew Hill material released recently, esp. Passing Ships and the unreleased material on the Selects.

I am also very sad about the news, but am glad that he was able to touch so many of us. I only managed to see him twice (once going out of my way to catch him in Amsterdam) but I'm glad I made the effort. I am starting to dread the day when the last of my jazz heroes (mostly but not exclusively those on BN titles from the 1960s) passes on.