Andrew Hill died today

keys

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest donald petersen

i was listening to a tape of an andrew hill trio performance from 1972 and is it possible that the bassist is playing an electric bass? it sort of sounds like it.

In the liner notes to the Sam Rivers Mosaic, Sam says:

Andrew is the closest thing to Monk that I know. I remember Gigi Gryce coming back from some gigs with Monk in the fifties and saying "this guy is amazing. No matter what I played, he'd be right there. I couldn't play a wrong note." Same thing with Andrew. Their harmonic conceptions are so broad that they can make anything fit. Whatever you do fits the harmonic concept.

Compulsion!!! is such a great record. I was just playing this reissue when I heard of his death. Man, what a superb album, and to think that it took Andrew Hill's incentive to get this one released. Compulsion!!! is now one of my most favorite BN releases of the past few years. Yet another reminder of his genius.

Compulsion!!! is such a great record. I was just playing this reissue when I heard of his death. Man, what a superb album, and to think that it took Andrew Hill's incentive to get this one released. Compulsion!!! is now one of my most favorite BN releases of the past few years. Yet another reminder of his genius.

:tup