Caesar Frazier

Yeah, he's really great. Coming out along the lines of Leon Spencer Jr., whom he followed in the Donaldson band. "Hail Caesar!" is an all out classic...his version of "Make It With You" is one of the all time great organ tracks. Up there with "Someday My Prince Will Come" by Leon. I actually met Caesar a couple of years back at Lou Donaldson's gig at the Vanguard. Super sweet cat who was more than eager to talk. I was really excited to see him, and I think he was surprised I knew who he was. I talked to him on the phone not long after that and he recounted a lot of interesting organ history from back in the day. He's still actively playing, although more piano than organ it seems, in Florida. Would love to see him perform. He had great style and facility. One of the forgotten giants of the organ imho.

Edited by Soul Stream

Yeah, I've got that twofer that Ace put out. Great stuff!

HOWEVER don't get so enthusiastic you buy this one if you should see it around.

1766.jpg

That was his third album, for Westbound, and it's pretty apalling; even for someone like me, who actually doesn't mind a bit of duff disco.

MG

Yeah, he's really great. Coming out along the lines of Leon Spencer Jr., whom he followed in the Donaldson band. "Hail Caesar!" is an all out classic...his version of "Make It With You" is one of the all time great organ tracks. Up there with "Someday My Prince Will Come" by Leon. I actually met Caesar a couple of years back at Lou Donaldson's gig at the Vanguard. Super sweet cat who was more than eager to talk. I was really excited to see him, and I think he was surprised I knew who he was. I talked to him on the phone not long after that and he recounted a lot of interesting organ history from back in the day. He's still actively playing, although more piano than organ it seems, in Florida. Would love to see him perform. He had great style and facility. One of the forgotten giants of the organ imho.

You DO know some interesting players, SS!

I had no idea he was still on the scene. And that he made gigs with Poppa Lou.

MG

Yeah, Caesar left Lou Donaldson to work with Marvin Gaye in 1974. I think Caesar might have been the last true organist Lou used until reviving the organ lineup again in the 90's. Caesar was originally from Indianopolis...rising up from that great scene...Funk Inc., Bill Mason...not to mention Ronnie Foster, Billy Nunn, McDuff, Winston Walls, Grant Green all went through there...and that sort of thing was happening. Super organ town and Caesar was the best of the best at that time. That's why Lou picked him up, Lou only had the best as his roster of legendary organists shows.

Gimme ANY Bob Porter joint, with Idris Muhammad on drums and Mason, Frazier or Spencer on organ. Hicky Burr is SOOOOOO funky. Also people often forget that Grover Washington started out at Prestige. OK so he moved into fusion and smooth jazz (hate that term!) but his stuff on Spencer's LPs Sneak Preview and Louisiana Slim is some of the toughest sax of the era up there with Rusty Bryant and Ammons. Oh and who digs Bill Mason's solo on Fire Eater? Talk about stealing the show. There's a raw directness and honesty about this music that I can't get enough of.

Anybody picking up that Caesar Frazier twofer CD from Ace Records mentioned above will want this one too :

cdsewd127_0.gif

The Gary Chandler album on that CD has Caesar Frazier ( sounding a little like Ronnie Foster at times). The version of Baby Let Me Take You ( In My Arms ) is a killer ; it grooves hard all the way , with extra grease from Cornell Dupree .

Those Ace CDs are pricey , but the original LPs go for money , so.....

Edited by Chas

Anybody picking up that Caesar Frazier twofer CD from Ace Records mentioned above will want this one too :

cdsewd127_0.gif

The Gary Chandler album on that CD has Caesar Frazier ( sounding a little like Ronnie Foster at times). The version of Baby Let Me Take You ( In My Arms ) is a killer ; it grooves hard all the way , with extra grease from Cornell Dupree .

Those Ace CDs are pricey , but the original LPs go for money , so.....

Indeed - a great pairing that is (Collectables could take lessons).

Caesar is also on a few tracks of this twofer, also by Ace/BGP

sparks_melv_texastwis_101b.jpg

MG

I just ordered it via the Amazon link on Organissimo. Taking you guys' advice. That Melvin Sparks looks good too.

I've plugged it before on organissimo but I'll plug it again, if you like funky guitar and organ , a real sleeper if ever there was one is Ivan Boogaloo Joe Jone's last ever LP, the truly wonderful Sweetback. Far better than most of his prestige output yet in the same bag. Reissued by Ubiquity records, but sadly without the original cover:

jones_ivanb_sweetback_101b.jpg

Getting back to Frazier, he also plays on George Freeman's great LP Frantic Diagnosis, but with less solo room on the funkier tracks.

Edited by K1969

Getting back to Frazier, he also plays on George Freeman's great LP Frantic Diagnosis, but with less solo room on the funkier tracks.

Didn't know that - wish Ubiquity had reissued this on CD, but it was only reissued on LP!

Which tracks is Frazier on and which Earland?

MG

Acually, I DID know that - but I'd forgotten. Earland is on synth, Frazier on B3. Does Earland get more solo space?

MG

Didn't know that - wish Ubiquity had reissued this on CD, but it was only reissued on LP!

MG

Acually, I DID know that - but I'd forgotten. Earland is on synth, Frazier on B3. Does Earland get more solo space?

MG

Yeah but the best track is really based upon ca

MG

MG

OEeerrRR woops - what's in God's name did I just press? I'll start again!....

Yeah but the best track is really based upon quick fire call-and-response riffing between the players. There aren't really any proper solos. The overall vibe though is infectious and Frazier's organ sounds sooooo gritty - almost like JB's organ on some King LPs - as he anchors the whole groove whilst earland and co stab in and out with thier riffs. It reminds a bit of some of the tracks off Groove Holmes (only?) blue note LP "Comin on home" with a kind of free for all sparring going on between all the players, a kind of "hanging on the corner" vibe.

Edited by K1969