McCoy Tyner's Milestone sessions

jmjk

i was asking my questions regarding tyner's attitude only during the late 60s and 70s. i guess it was a stupid question and no longer relevant based on a quick glance at the lineups of any of tyner's recent albums.

I have looked through the books I've got. The only thing I can find, at all relevant, is this:

Did ther music of jazz musicians who converted to Islam change as a result of their conversion? A number, including Yusef Lateef, McCoy Tyner, and Art Blakey, became leaders of the Africanization of jazz.

Jazz In Black and White/Gerrard p77

There's an interview with Tyner in Len Lyons, The Great Jazz Pianists pub 1982 (maybe the interview's from ca 1980) - he seems undifferentiating in his musical interests as far as race goes. He also doesn't seem interested in Africanization any more.

But, even on Sahara (obviously a very Afro-centred record), he uses a koto - so he can't have been that Afro-centred even during this period.

Or, perhaps, black-centred.

Simon Weil

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Eric Gravatt is great. I wonder why he hasn't been more visible- is he still playing? I hope he hasn't moved to Vermont.

A google search turned up this:

10/12-10/9: JAZZ GREAT ERIC KAMAU GRAVATT LIVE!!

Reply to: bmiletich@comcast.net

Date: 2003-08-20, 7:31PM

WAYNE SHORTER JUST SAID IN "MODERN DRUMMER": " ERIC WAS THE ONE...MILES WANTED HIM,BUT HE CAME WITH US IN WEATHER REPORT." < MODERN DRUMMER PG. 110 SEPT. 2003 ISSUE>

MAKE YOUR PLANS NOW TO ATTEND THIS GREAT EVENT IN NORTHERN CALIFORNIA!!

ERIC KAMAU GRAVATT WILL BE PERFORMING WITH SOME GREAT YOUNG NEW TALENT IN THE LOVELY WINE COUNTRY,THE TOWN OF PETALUMA- IN BEAUTIFUL SONOMA COUNTY!

AT "ZEBULON'S LOUNGE " WHERE ONE CAN HEAR SOME OF THE BEST LIVE JAZZ 7 NIGHTS A WEEK!!!

A SMALL, VERY INTIMATE SETTING WITH A GREAT WINE LIST, A VARIETY OF SAKI DRINKS, & OVER 25 FINE BELGIAN ALES, "ZEBULON'S" RECENTLY CELEBRATED THEIR FIRST ANNIVERSARY OF LIVE NITELY JAZZ!!!!!!!

THE DATES ARE: 10/09/03 TO 10/12/03.

DISCOUNT AIRFARE AND BRAND NEW SHERATON HOTEL RATES ARE DISCOUNTED AS LOW AS $49.00 PER NITE!....RIGHT ON THE PETALUMA RIVER THAT LEADS TO THE SF BAY!

FOR DETAILS: bmiletich@comcast.net OR trevor@zebulonslounge.com

feel free to call Brent @ #415/307-8739

.... and this gig has just taken place:

Live Jazz in Minneapolis, Saint Paul Minnesota September 2003

September 4

Source Code w/ Eric Kamau Gravatt & the amazing Dave Hagedorn on vibes @Artists' Quarter

.... but he must have a regular gig with this band:

Artists' Quarter (651-292-1359), 408 St. Peter St., in the basement of the Hamm Building, St. Paul. (Use entrance on 7th Place. Parking is available on the street and nearby ramps.) Every first and third Thur., Source Code with Eric Kamau Gravatt, percussion; Dave Hagedorn, vibes; Ron Evaniuk, bass; Dean Brewington, alto sax; and Dave Leigh, trombone, 9 p.m.

... and he must have recorded an album recently with British pianist Tony Hymas.

Edited by mikeweil

I was obliged to sell off a lot of albums a few years back and most of the Tyner milestones went by the boards. I've never ceased regretting that.  :(

So, Chris, get yourself an EMusic account and you can have the whole enchilada for $10/month. In fact, you could probably just do the FREE 50-tune trial and get a good portion of that stuff without spending a penny.

Edited by BFrank

I really like Supertrios. I find myself going back to that one quite often. There is a great version of The Greeting that always kicks my ass.

I enjoy most of McCoy's Milestone work. Some are stronger than others, but you really can't go too wrong with any of them. Especially the earlier stuff.

There was a really good one. I don't believe I've ever seen it on CD. It was a double LP if I recall, and somewhere I have it.

LPs are such a pain.

I really like Supertrios. I find myself going back to that one quite often. There is a great version of The Greeting that always kicks my ass.

I enjoy most of McCoy's Milestone work. Some are stronger than others, but you really can't go too wrong with any of them. Especially the earlier stuff.

There was a really good one. I don't believe I've ever seen it on CD. It was a double LP if I recall, and somewhere I have it.

LPs are such a pain.

Supertrios is on Milestone MCD-55003-2:

McCoy Tyner Fantasy Catalog Page 2

• 1 month later...

Here's what AMG says:

Azar Lawrence showed a great deal of potential during his period with McCoy Tyner's Quartet (1973-1977), but has not made that strong an impression since. A fine tenor and soprano saxophonist (which he took up in 1970 and 1972 after a few years playing alto), Lawrence performed with Horace Tapscott in Los Angeles. He toured Europe with Clark Terry in 1970 and in 1973, joined Elvin Jones' band. After three months, Lawrence decided to switch to Tyner's group and he recorded several impressive albums (on Milestone) while a sideman with the great pianist. Azar Lawrence also recorded three albums as a leader for Prestige during 1974-1976, but has not had further opportunities to head sessions and has maintained a low profile ever since.

• 4 years later...

I have always been a fan of "Enlightenment" and "Atlantis" myself. They are very high intensity live sessions, but I think he was still trying to define himself after Trane.

I love "Supertrios", too. Both sessions are really killer - defined more by the different drummers than anything else. In fact, it's a real drumming "tour de force", IMO. Both Tony and Jack were really on during these dates.

I heard a track the other day on radio that just blew me away...it took me a day to find out what it was, turns out it's a song from Atlantis ('Makin' out). The absolute power of Tyner's playing in this era is awesome. I ordered the Atlantis cd from concord today, can't wait.

So, Chris, get yourself an EMusic account and you can have the whole enchilada for $10/month. In fact, you could probably just do the FREE 50-tune trial and get a good portion of that stuff without spending a penny.

I know this post is over four years old, I just find it a funny coincidence that back

in the days (about two years ago I think) those McCoy Milestone albums were one

of the reasons for me to give the eMusic trial offer (got 100 free mp3s!) a chance.

Between those free 100 songs and the 90 I got for my first month once I signed

up for real (which happened on the same day!), I got all those albums and a lot

more, too! Haven't regretted the decision ever since, actually my Save For Later

list is constantly pushing the 100 albums limit - is there some way around that?

Edited by Kyo

... actually my Save For Later list is constantly pushing the 100 albums limit - is there some way around that?

Make more lists.

You can make as many lists as you want. Go to "Your Profile" and select "Lists". Each list holds 100 albums - I have 14 lists (ouch!). When you want to save an album, click on "Save to your playlist" instead of "Save for later".

WARNING! It's a BAD habit. :o

My favorite Milestone recordings are Enlightenment-Walk Spirit, Talk Spirit is incendiary!- Super Trios (the title is accurate)- Song of the New World and it's hard to be objective about this body of work.

Peace,

Blue Trane

:tup:cool::tup

... although not that big a fan of "Song..." (or maybe I just don't know it well enough)

• 7 years later...
On 1/10/2008, 4:21:18, Free For All said:

I've always liked Atlantis. One of my favorite McCoys from that era.

I finally started listening to this (it was acquired in a death-of-Fantasy binge back in 2009) last week.  It's of very high quality, like all of the other Milestone MT I've heard (Sahara, Enlightenment, Echoes of a Friend, Sama Layuca).  I was a little skeptical about Tyner of this period tackling standards, but the Coltrane-esque "My One and Only Love" is excellent.  The obvious reference point for Atlantis is Enlightenment, since that is also a >70 minute live album, though Enlightenment is much more intense.  Of course, that's only a matter of degree since Atlantis is a 9 or 8 on the intensity scale. :)

Hard to believe that in retrospect, THE REAL MCCOY sounds positively "cute"/"polite" compared to McCoy's later work.

Edited by Guy Berger