Chester Thompson

CJ Shearn

But the Chester Thompson who played with Tower of Power (whose "classic" drummer was Dave Garibaldi) is an organist, and is the same one who make "Powerhouse". He's also played w/Santana.

To confuse matters further, Chester Thompson the drummer had a stint with Weather Report, but it's Chester thompson the organist who plays on the recently released Santana/Shorter album on which at least one tune ("Elegant People") that Chester Thompson the drummer had orignally played on.

I believe these are two different Chester Thompsons. One is a drummer, the other an organist, who made the "Powerhouse" album.

Haven't played it in a while. Thanks for the reminder. It's great!

MG

Maybe you meant to say "I believe there are two different Chester Thompsons"...? :)

But the Chester Thompson who played with Tower of Power (whose "classic" drummer was Dave Garibaldi) is an organist, and is the same one who make "Powerhouse". He's also played w/Santana.

To confuse matters further, Chester Thompson the drummer had a stint with Weather Report, but it's Chester thompson the organist who plays on the recently released Santana/Shorter album on which at least one tune ("Elegant People") that Chester Thompson the drummer had orignally played on.

Thanks - I didn't know he'd played with ToP and Santana. Thought the only recording he'd made was "Powerhouse".

MG

Chester Thompson's best Tower of Power work is considered classic, perhaps even iconic, in certain circles.

:tup Damn Straight!!!

Unfortunately, that bastard CT also stole my bike when I was twelve, and then killed my grandma with her own cane! :angry:

Never knew she was impaired. :mellow:

Oops! I was thinking about THIS CT. My humble apologies to Mr. Thompson, fine organist and humanitarian. ;)

• 6 years later...