Freddie Hubbard and Friends at Iridium this week

Hey everyone, I just want to alert you guys to this. It's Freddie's first gig in over a year after some health issues and we've bought in many of his collaborators from througout his long career to help out for this one. Hope we see you there.

Iridium Jazz Club

presents

Freddie Hubbard and Friends

Freddie Hubbard- Trumpet

James Spaulding- Alto Sax

Javon Jackson- Tenor Sax (April 26 and 27)

Craig Handy- Tenor Sax (April 28 and 29)

Slide Hampton- Trombone (April 26)

Curtis Fuller (April 27)

Kiane Zawadi- Trombone (April 28)

Steve Davis- Trombone (April 29)

David Weiss- Trumpet

Ronnie Matthews- Piano (April 26 and 27)

George Cables- Piano (April 28 and 29)

Christian McBride- Bass (April 26 and April 29)

Dwayne Burno- Bass (April 27 and 28)

Louis Hayes- Drums (April 26 and 27)

Joe Chambers- Drums (April 28 and 29)

plus many other special guests

Thursday- Sunday April 26-29

Sets at 8:30 and 10:30 pm

Iridium Jazz Club

1650 Broadway (at 51st Street)

(212) 582-2121

http://www.iridiumjazzclub.com

http://www.freddiehubbardmusic.com/

Edited by david weiss

Hey everyone, I just want to alert you guys to this. It's Freddie's first gig in over a year after some health issues and we've bought in many of his collaborators from througout his long career to help out for this one. Hope we see you there.

Iridium Jazz Club

presents

Freddie Hubbard and Friends

Freddie Hubbard- Trumpet

James Spaulding- Alto Sax

Javon Jackson- Tenor Sax (April 26 and 27)

Craig Handy- Tenor Sax (April 28 and 29)

Slide Hampton- Trombone (April 26)

Curtis Fuller (April 27)

Kiane Zawadi- Trombone (April 28)

Steve Davis- Trombone (April 29)

David Weiss- Trumpet

Ronnie Matthews- Piano (April 26 and 27)

George Cables- Piano (April 28 and 29)

Christian McBride- Bass (April 26 and April 29)

Dwayne Burno- Bass (April 27 and 28)

Louis Hayes- Drums (April 26 and 27)

Joe Chambers- Drums (April 28 and 29)

plus many other special guests

Thursday- Sunday April 26-29

Sets at 8:30 and 10:30 pm

Iridium Jazz Club

1650 Broadway (at 51st Street)

(212) 582-2121

http://www.iridiumjazzclub.com

http://www.freddiehubbardmusic.com/

Who's playing trumpet?

As long as everybody else in the band shows up -- I'm sure it'll be a great event!! :)

and...

Not to threadcrap, but over the years I've met more people (well, people that I know face to face anyway), that have had tickets to Freddie gigs where he's cancelled -- than I know people who have actually ever heard him live.

(And I'm in that former group, not the later.)

It's still looking very likely that I will be there Saturday with sometimes poster shadowhillway.

I plan to reserve tonight. They told me that you can always stay for the second set with just another minimum. Is this true? I would hate to come up from DC and be kicked out after one set because so many people reserved ahead and I didn't.

I've been to the club 3 times (Jackie Mac's last gigs in NYC in 2004, Joe Chambers and Grachan Moncur last year) and I've always been able to stay over. But this might be fuller because it's Freddie on a Saturday. On the other hand, Jackie's last NYC gigs should have been packed to the rafters - no comment.

I saw Jackie at the VV on a Sunday in 1999. I had put my name down for the first set (you didn't have to pre-pay), but I hadn't thought of the second set. Fortunately, I had a 'connection' who convinced Lorraine Gordon to let me stay :w

Edited by bertrand

It's still looking very likely that I will be there Saturday with sometimes poster shadowhillway.

I plan to reserve tonight. They told me that you can always stay for the second set with just another minimum. Is this true? I would hate to come up from DC and be kicked out after one set because so many people reserved ahead and I didn't.

Almost always. It is often $10 plus another minimum.

Do you mean they charge $10 plus a minimum or just the $10 minimum? That's my experience - no cover at all in the second set.

Going to call in a few minutes to reserve.

Bertrand.

Usually just another minimum. But at a recent show (maybe Braxton) they charged a $10 "music fee" plus another minimum. Maybe they had a few more people in line than normal for the second set that night and they were just looking to scare a couple folks off.

I'm 80% sure that I'm going tomorrow night - just have to manage a work emergency.

Just got back from tonight's gig, where I met up with Bertrand and one of his buds - it was a really great show; far better than I expected. Everyone involved was in top form. Spaulding and Chambers were particularly impressive, but Cables, Hubbard and the rest were no slouches. Great night!

Just got back from tonight's gig, where I met up with Bertrand and one of his buds - it was a really great show; far better than I expected. Everyone involved was in top form. Spaulding and Chambers were particularly impressive, but Cables, Hubbard and the rest were no slouches. Great night!

Wow !

I'm dead jealous.. :rcry

jesus christ guys, cant someone tell us a LITTLE more about it?

----What tunes were played? how many were blue note songs? what about red clay, etc?

----How long were Freddies solos?

----How totally bad-ass was James Spaulding?

----and did anyone else find that personel list CONFUSING? so if i wanna see fred w/ joe chambers, but ALSO want to see curtis fuller, do i still get to see James Spaulding?

jesus christ guys, cant someone tell us a LITTLE more about it?

----What tunes were played? how many were blue note songs? what about red clay, etc?

8 songs total - I only recognized Blue Spirits and Red Clay, which was an encore to the first set. There was one sort of lousy ballad that went on waayyyy too long, but the rest was uptempo hardbop. One of the songs I didn't know was a tribute to Charlie Parker that Hubbard had written.

----How long were Freddies solos?

Not very, but they were well executed.

----How totally bad-ass was James Spaulding?

Pretty bad-ass, more so on the sax than on the flute.

----and did anyone else find that personel list CONFUSING? so if i wanna see fred w/ joe chambers, but ALSO want to see curtis fuller, do i still get to see James Spaulding?

I think Spaulding was all four nights, but Curtis was only the first two nights and Chambers was only the last two nights.