2007 NHL playoffs

Any hockey fans here?

My hometown Canucks aren’t going very far, though Roberto Luongo may steal them a win against Anaheim.

Detroit vs. San Jose: San Jose had an inconsistent second half, while Detroit didn’t finish the season very strongly. Sharks looked great against the Predators, while Detroit’s first-round opponent belonged on a psychiatrist’s couch, not the ice. I think the Sharks will take it.

Buffalo vs. New York Rangers: Buffalo manhandled the Rangers last night. I think New York will make this an interesting series yet. The Sabres have great goaltending and an incredible line-up, but they haven’t been all that impressive to date in the playoffs. Flip a coin.

Ottawa vs. New Jersey: Nice to see the Sens pull off a win tonight. I think they’ll take the series, but it could take seven games.

Anaheim's my favorite to win the Cup, and I expect them to handle Vancouver.

Det-SJ is unclear to me; hope the Sharks win, but logic gives Wings chances.

In the East, I expect Buffalo to easily beat the Rangers, and the Sens to beat NJ in six or less. NJ's chances require Brodeur heroism, Emery shakiness, or both.

Ottawa is up 3-1 on New Jersey and they should wrap this one up in five. The Sens seem to have gained some character after years of playoff disappointments. This could be their year. Wonder how NHL office will feel with yet another small market Canadian team in the final? He-he-he.

The tough luck Canucks outplayed the Ducks in five out of six periods at home, but lost both. The Ducks aren’t playing great, but are also finding ways to win. The Canucks could be up 3-1. Mind you, it could have been eliminated as Game 2 could have gone either way. The Canucks are pretty bashed up: Cowan, Cooke and Kessler are hurt and Salo and Bieksa are clearly playing hurt.

If Buffalo plays to its potential, the Sabres will win. The problem is they aren’t and the Rangers are overachieving.

Still like the Sharks over the Red Wings. If they had more of a killer instinct, they would be up 3-1 or would have even swept. Bertuzzi is a slug.

... Wonder how NHL office will feel with yet another small market Canadian team in the final? He-he-he.

F**k 'em!

I hope the Senators can get off the schneid this year. But it'll be tough to beat the Western finalist (I predicted Anaheim, and will stick with it).

... Wonder how NHL office will feel with yet another small market Canadian team in the final? He-he-he.

F**k 'em!

I hope the Senators can get off the schneid this year. But it'll be tough to beat the Western finalist (I predicted Anaheim, and will stick with it).

What impresses me is how Pronger or Scott Niedermayer can suddenly turn on a switch and the puck's in the other team's net. Imagine what this team would be like if it showed up for 60 minutes.

Giguerre has been playing pretty solid (other than Cowan's OT winner) and the Ducks have been defensively sound.

The semifinals:

Anaheim vs. Detroit. Didn't think Detroit would get past San Jose, but the Sharks are as good as finding ways to lose as the Ducks are at finding ways to win. Detroit is kind of beat up, while Anaheim seems to be slowly hitting its stride and has Pronger and Niedermayer. Wings in five.

Buffalo vs. Ottawa. The Senators have been a lot more impressive than the Sabres to date, but like Anaheim, Buffalo is ramping up just in time for the stretch. The Sabres are a deeper team than the Sens and logic would dictate they will win. Both teams have a lot to prove: the Sabres came oh-so-close to the finals last year and Ottawa has never lived up to its regular season promise. This should be a great series. My head says Buffalo in seven; my heart say Ottawa in seven; my gut says flip a coin.

In the West, I'll go with Anaheim in six or seven. They knocked on the door last year, and should go further this year. As a former crappy defenseman in weak adult rec. leagues, I'm a huge fan of Niedermayer and Pronger. And I just don't care for the Wings... :P

In the East, I'll say Sens in seven because I'd like to see them do well after all the disappointments of the past decade. But logic (eg the above-cited "knocking on the door") does dictate Buffalo...

At any rate, we should have three excellent series coming up.

[Added 3 days later] Sens take first two games in Buffalo! Detroit won first game due to power play, despite mostly being outplayed.

Edited by T.D.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...