Rostropovich dies

brownie

A music giant is gone...

From AP:

CELLIST-CONDUCTOR ROSTROPOVICH DIES

Mstislav Rostropovich, the ebullient master cellist who fought for the rights of Soviet-era dissidents and later triumphantly played Bach suites below the crumbling Berlin Wall, has died, his spokeswoman said. He was 80.

Rostropovich, who lived in self-imposed exile in Paris, suffered from intestinal cancer. He was hospitalized in Paris in early February, and his family arranged for him to be flown back to Russia, longtime manager Ronald Wilford said.

He was treated at a Moscow hospital, and was visited on Feb. 6 by Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Seven weeks later, he was well enough to attend a celebration at the Kremlin on his 80th birthday, but appeared frail. The ITAR-Tass news agency reported Friday that he had been hospitalized again several days ago.

Spokeswoman Natalia Dollezhal told The Associated Press that Rostropovich had died, but would not immediately provide details.

That is definitely a shame. He was scheduled to conduct in Chicago next season. I thought it unlikely he would make it given his health problems, but I definitely would have gone had he made it. Brilliant Classics has an excellent box set of recordings he made while in the USSR.

• 8 years later...

I saw him at Massey Hall in Toronto in the '70s.  He was great but his accompanist wasn't too good.  I  told my friend Josef Skvorecky who was a Czech dissident  in exile in Canada  that I thought it was nice he obviously used a friend even though the guy wasn't too good. Josef scoffed and said "That was the KGB agent whose job was to make sure Rostropovich didn't defect. "