The DIW label

Claude

Hi,

I own a couple of CDs that the japanese label DIW released in the 1990's, mainly stuff by David Murray and John Zorn's Masada. I recently checked for some DIW discs in online stores. Most of them are not available, or going for big bucks ($40 and more) on Amazon Marketplace.

Are all these CDs now OOP and hard to find? That would be a shame, especially because of those great David Murray albums and the essential early Masada recordings. The recording quality of these sessions (engineered by Jim Anderson) is exceptional as well.

I bought a batch from Downtown Music Gallery about four months ago when they advertised them as 'end of stock' which they would not be restocking. From this I assume that in future they will only be available as used copies on ebay, Amazon resellers etc. If you are thinking of buying any then I suggest you get an order in quickly with Cadence or DMG.

Of the handfull of DIW's I have, it appears that Greg Cohen's 'Way Low,' is still available (I like this album quite a bit) but 'Sonny's Time Now,' seems to be OOP, and Amazon has one for sale for $350! Is it that hard to find nowadays? As much as I like this album, I can't imagine dropping that kind of cash on it (besides, I don't have that kind of cash to drop). AEC's 'Ancient to the Future, Vol 1' also seems to be OOP, and currently going for $50at Amazon too. I have a David Murray one somewhere too (the one with James Newton). It's a shame if the bulk of their catalogue is OOP, the quality, sound and production of these cd's was consistently excellent.

Of the handfull of DIW's I have, it appears that Greg Cohen's 'Way Low,' is still available (I like this album quite a bit) but 'Sonny's Time Now,' seems to be OOP, and Amazon has one for sale for $350! Is it that hard to find nowadays? As much as I like this album, I can't imagine dropping that kind of cash on it (besides, I don't have that kind of cash to drop). AEC's 'Ancient to the Future, Vol 1' also seems to be OOP, and currently going for $50at Amazon too. I have a David Murray one somewhere too (the one with James Newton). It's a shame if the bulk of their catalogue is OOP, the quality, sound and production of these cd's was consistently excellent.

Doubt that they'll get 350 for Sonny's Time Now. If they do, my copy's going up for sale on Amazon.

Edited by paul secor

Just a few months ago I was trying to get my hands on Misha Mengelberg's Who's Bridge. Couldn't find it anywhere but was I was lucky enough to grab it at ebay.com

It's too bad to see those DIW cds going OOP along with some rare Hathut cds (like News For Lulu) and the only reasonable way is to get them is to check out ebay every day... :(

Edited by Swinger

A plug for two DIW Ronald Shannon Jackson's--What Spirit Say and Shannon's House.

What Spirit Say features James Carter (one of his best recorded appearances) and guitarist Jef Lee Johnson. A top notch Decoding Society recording.

Shannon's House--A bit different, as it features two DFW area musicians (in addition to the fine guitarist Jef Lee Johnson), Rachella Parks (a soulful, gospel tinged saxophonist) and keyboardist Thomas Reese. This one really grew on me over time--it's over ten years old now and Shannon Jackson has not released a new recording as a leader since this one.

• 2 years later...

Several years ago, I came upon a couple of those DIW Sonny's Time Now in a secondhand record shop in Paris. They were being sold for a few €. When I went to the cashier, he mentioned that the CDs had been sold by Sonny Murray himself the day before. He most probably sold them for peanuts

Several years ago, I came upon a couple of those DIW Sonny's Time Now in a secondhand record shop in Paris. They were being sold for a few €. When I went to the cashier, he mentioned that the CDs had been sold by Sonny Murray himself the day before. He most probably sold them for peanuts

and one is a much appreciated disc in this house here now! :excited: