Sony TA-F220 Spontaneous Twin Drive Amplifier

king ubu

It's difficult to see from the pictures if the woofer has foam or rubber suspension. Rubber usually doesn't have the problem.

Rubber suspension lasts much longer, but even rubber suspension suffered it, in my personal experience I had to replace the woofer of an old ESS louspeaker, and I mean the whole woofer, because it was cheaper then having replaced the rubber suspension only by a good technician. Obviously if you're a decent DIY'selfer you could try for yourself.

Edited by porcy62

I'm sorry but I have no clue what your foam/rubber talk is about... maybe if it was in german... are you speaking of the soft parts that sort of mantle the actual speakers? They're of rubber.

Anyway, I bought the speakers, someone where I got them said she had them in her flat for a month before they sold them and that they sounded good, and so do I think (I put on some Adderley Quintet, Aretha Franklin, What Is Is box, and now some early 50s Kenton).

I'm sorry but I have no clue what your foam/rubber talk is about... maybe if it was in german... are you speaking of the soft parts that sort of mantle the actual speakers? They're of rubber.

Anyway, I bought the speakers, someone where I got them said she had them in her flat for a month before they sold them and that they sounded good, and so do I think (I put on some Adderley Quintet, Aretha Franklin, What Is Is box, and now some early 50s Kenton).

The foam/rubber suspension is the part that keep in place the tweeter and woofer and allow them to move, the air that re-create the sound. Since the suspension has to be enough elastic to allow a correct movement of the transducer/tweeter/woofer, it is made usually of foam or rubber, as you can image, both of these materials are not everlasting. But at this price and if they sound ...enjoy them.

Edited by porcy62

Good for you. But here is the problem. Next you will see a better pair of speakers / cd player / amp for a little bit more money or decide you want to hear how "really good" speaker cables might sound. You can say hello to better sounding music and goodbye to all your hard earned money. It is like a drug dealer giving you your first try for free, from here on out it is all downhill. :P

No, it's about the flexible part between the bass membranes an the enclosure, that allows the membranes to move. You can check it for cracks from the outside. In german, it's called the "Lautsprechersicke".

I've heard of many people having to replace drivers of old speakers with foam suspensions (especially the popular Infinity speakers from the 80's), but never of problems with rubber suspensions.

No, it's about the flexible part between the bass membranes an the enclosure, that allows the membranes to move. You can check it for cracks from the outside. In german, it's called the "Lautsprechersicke".

I've heard of many people having to replace drivers of old speakers with foam suspensions (especially the popular Infinity speakers from the 80's), but never of problems with rubber suspensions.

It could be, actually I was talking of something happened twenty years ago, it might had been a foam suspension, though it appeared to me a rubber one, it had the same consistency of my bicycle's air chambers.

Edited by porcy62

Ok, thanks Claude. I found out about "Sicken" when googling about a pair of speakers my girlfriend has, where those parts are not good anymore on one of them (rubber, torn, broken apart).

The ones I have now have rubber parts there. Anyway, if they work alright for a couple of years, that's fine!