Santana: Hymns for Peace

CJ Shearn

I picked this up last night, excellent concert. Features Herbie, Wayne, Chick, Ravi Coltrane, John McLaughlin. Theres a lot of everyone there. Much better production than the Santana/Shorter DVD, as it's part of the Eagle Vision Live at Montreux series. And its a complete concert on 2 DVD's with three tunes as bonus tracks. Tracklisting:

Disc One 1) Afro Blue 2) Adouma 3) Redemption Song 4) Exodus / Get Up Stand Up 5) Blowin' In The Wind / A Place In The Sun 6) Just Like A Woman 7) What's Going On Disc Two 1) Peace On Earth / Boogie Woman 2) Why Can't We Live Together 3) Light At The Edge Of The World 4) Let Us Go Into The House Of The Lord 5) Day-O (The Banana Boat Song) 6) Day Of Celebration 7) Ah Sweet Dancer / In A Silent Way 8) Jingo 9) A Love Supreme 10) Ode To Joy Bonus Features * Additional tracks: 1) One Love / People Get Ready 2) Imagine 3) Give Peace A Chance. * Behind The Scenes footage and interview with Carlos Santana.

no problem. BTW, In A Silent Way goes into "It's About that Time". Also towards the middle of "A Love Supreme" Clark Terry appears on the left of the stage salsa dancing! Unfortunately he doesn't play. This is a very nice DVD watched it twice, when Santana goes to Montreux he leaves the bullshit behind.

yep, Wayne is on roughly half, don't worry, he gets quite a bit of solo space. Yes he and Ravi are playing their asses off on "A Love Supreme". The one complaint I have is that Wayne seems a little low in the mix compared to Ravi, but its obvious he is playing very hard. What I didn't know, when I read the liners is that this Hymns For Peace is a follow up to the 1988 Shorter/Santana tour. Carlos had the idea back then, and was in talks with Miles too

I have the Santana/Shorter DVD and CD also, I spin the CD far more, I like the mix better on the CD anyway. Hymns For Peace is definitely worth getting, Wayne starts his solo on "Boogie Woman" way outside, as a contrast to Coltrane's more grooving solo, and Wayne and John McLaughlin get into a nice dialogue on "Its About that Time", Herbie, John and Wayne were having fun with that one.