How about doing cd of the week?

AfricaBrass

A couple years ago on the BNBB, I think it was Joe Christmas who started a thread where we'd all listen to the same cd over the course of the week. It was usually a classic jazz album. I remember one album was Monk's Brilliant Corners.

I'm not very good at writing reviews and I know there a lot of people here who are. I learned a lot about some great albums when we had this going.

Maybe we could do old and new albums, or for those who already have emusic, some of the stuff there?

Anyone interested?

:rsmile:

I am! It's kind of like a book club, except with music, and Oprah's not involved...

By the way, I'm home sick today, and I thought it would a great opportunity to work through a small backlog of CDs I've accumulated over the last month or so. Well, wouldn't you know it, I feel so sick that I don't want to listen to anything new! I HATE when that happens! :angry:

I am! It's kind of like a book club, except with music, and Oprah's not involved...

Good call! It's just like that.

My wife loves Oprah and Dr. Phil. They drive me nuts.

phil_mcgraw.jpg

I think she has all his books and tapes. :rmad:

It sucks being so sick that you can't even enjoy music. I was the same way a few weeks ago, all I could do was sleep. I hope you feel better soon.

Any suggestions for an album to start with?

How about letting the first person who posts after this post gets to pick the cd. I would suggest in the beginning to try to pick something that most of us might have. Maybe a BN title since we came from there. I have emusic, so I have access to most of the OJCs.

The person who picks the cd for this week will nominate the person who will pick the cd for next week.

We can run the Album of the week from Sunday to Saturday. So the first one will run from Sunday March 23 to Saturday March 29.

I think this will be a lot of fun. :D

I have a suggestion (and I don't know how I missed this thread before!): perhaps the album could be discussed could be named a couple of weeks in advance so that those of us with, shall we say "more limited collections" could have a chance to pick up a copy and digest it before hand if we are so inclined? (Can you guess I'm one of those rare people without a car? :g )

I have a suggestion (and I don't know how I missed this thread before!): perhaps the album could be discussed could be named a couple of weeks in advance so that those of us with, shall we say "more limited collections" could have a chance to pick up a copy and digest it before hand if we are so inclined? (Can you guess I'm one of those rare people without a car? :g )

That's a great idea!

Maybe couw could nominate the person who will pick the next album and they can then nominate the next person and so on and so on.

We'll make a list in this thread.

Me and my big mouth...okay; let's stay in the Blue Note arena one more week and go with Wahne Shorter's The All Seeing Eye. Is that okay?

The moose has chosen wisely. :D

The pick for the week of March 30 - April 5 will be:

Wayne Shorter - The All Seeing Eye

Jazzmoose, now it's your turn to open the nominations.

:rsmile: :rhappy: :rsmile:

I really like this idea. Actually I suggested it on another BB in the past ( can't remember exactly where..) I didn't know it had already been done, but anyway not only was there no interest but my post killed a perfectly healthy, thriving thread. (I seem to do that quite a bit. I try to rationalize that it is because my opinions are the final answer and need no further discussion but my wife tells me otherwise.)

Also this is a great excuse for going out of my budget to buy the disc of the week. Just nobody recommend John Coltrane The Heavyweight Champion or the 9 disc Sonny Stitt Mosaic. OK?

I really like this idea. Actually I suggested it on another BB in the past ( can't remember exactly where..) I didn't know it had already been done, but anyway not only was there no interest but my post killed a perfectly healthy, thriving thread. (I seem to do that quite a bit. I try to rationalize that it is because my opinions are the final answer and need no further discussion but my wife tells me otherwise.)

Also this is a great excuse for going out of my budget to buy the disc of the week. Just nobody recommend John Coltrane The Heavyweight Champion or the 9 disc Sonny Stitt Mosaic. OK?

I feel your pain, I know how it is to kill threads. :rsmile:

It was done for a month or so on the BNBB a few years ago. I learned a lot about what people listen for. I think this will help me grow in my listening maturity.

It's going to be tricky picking cds that most people have, but i'm open to trying new albums. I figure I can afford 1 cd a week. I agree - box sets are out.

I'm looking forward to really digging into the Donald Byrd.

I know we all agreed never to post on a thread after scottb posted :winky: , but I now have Byrd in Hand er...in hand. Great deal, too! Only cost me dinner out at a restaraunt near Tower, plus the price of the CD. ("Gee, honey, while we're down here...") :D

Oof! I forgot about not posting after scottb. ;)

Nice work on acquiring the Byrd cd. I've pulled that move a few times myself. It sure is a lot more expensive than just buying the cd itself, but a man has got to do what a man has go to do.

:lol:

Then again, let's go with Wayne Shorter's interpretation of the music... :wacko:

This will be fun, no matter whose interpretation it is! :P

I'm especially looking forward to weizen.....er, Son-of-a-Weizen's review. Heh heh heh! :excited:

Edited by Big Al

• 3 weeks later...

The suspense is killing me: has an album been named for April 12-19 yet?

Big Al,

The album of the week for April 13-19 is Lee Morgan's Live at the Lighthouse.

I hope you already have a copy, it's a 3 cd set. We'll have a lot of listening to do.

Here's a link to the new thread for it.

Album of the week: Lee Morgan - Live at the Lighthouse