Trio of Doom

Aggie87

Guest donald petersen

well that's fine that he played in R and B bands but he in my mind wasn't doing anything R&Bish once he got going with weather report.

and i think i've heard tapes of him playing "the chicken" in 1983. it's soulless crap, IMO.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest donald petersen

and actually re-reading it now (and that binkie website is awesome), pastorius sounds like a fool if one knows where he took himself...how he is putting down "rock" music.

but then again, maybe the guys were just defensive and pissed in that article since they had been getting flack for "mr. gone", which i think is a pretty good album, myself.

Edited by donald petersen

I have alot of the JP/Bireli Lagrene material that came out on Jazzpoint. Jaco was surely in a "rock" frame of mind - they're covering Hendrix, Marley & Deep Purple etc. Whether he wanted to admit it or not, he had as much rock in him as R&B.

but then again, maybe the guys were just defensive and pissed in that article since they had been getting flack for "mr. gone", which i think is a pretty good album, myself.

After all the band had recorded before, with or without Jaco, Mr. Gone was a disappointment, a flop. Me and my fellow musicians, we bought every Weather Report LP as soon as it was out, and we all would have returned Mr. Gone to the shops if it had been an option.

Guest donald petersen

i heard domino theory the other day and was surprised how much i liked it. this was obviously post-jaco but for some early to mid 80s music, it was pretty interesting and complex...IMO.

i heard domino theory the other day and was surprised how much i liked it. this was obviously post-jaco but for some early to mid 80s music, it was pretty interesting and complex...IMO.

Jazzbo and Jsngry are big fans of this album, IIRC.

I've only heard a few tracks off DT, but I do own Procession which is a nice album. I think I like it better than the post-Mr. Gone albums w/Jaco.

Guy

Guest donald petersen

procession i liked also. i think weather report definitely suffers from false conventional widsom that the jaco years were the peak and everything after (and before?) doesn't compare. i think the jaco stuff is the worse...though some live stuff with the acuna/that guy with facial hair on percussion-alyrio lima? or something?/jaco rhythm section definitely percolates a lot more than on the records.

• 1 month later...

This album comes out on Tuesday. Anyone have an advance copy and care to comment on the content?

Here's the artwork and tracklist:

41YOtJDtE9L._AA240_.jpg

1. Drum Improvisation [Live]

2. Dark Prince [Live]

3. Continuum [Live]

4. Para Oriente [Live]

5. Are You the One, Are You the One? [Live]

6. Dark Prince [studio]

7. Continuum [studio]

8. Para Oriente [Alternate Take 1]

9. Para Oriente [Alternate Take 2]

10. Para Oriente [studio]

Guest donald petersen

i think you are being a little harsh there, jarsen! the first WR record isn't any better than the second third even fourth? and there are a few more highlights along the way.

I think I'll pass on Trio of Doom.

Anyway, here's a brief review from hmv.co.uk

Jun 2007

A fusion-fest of epic proportions, performed by a jazz supergroup containing three of the biggest names to emerge during the 1970s – guitarist John McLaughlin, Weather Report's bass superstar Jaco Pastorius and onetime Miles Davis wunderkind Tony Williams.

Part of this album was released on a limited edition LP – 'Havana Jams' - in the late 1970s, but the remainder consists of studio recordings that have never been commercially released before, and as such this CD will be much sought after by jazz-rock connoisseurs.

The CD has been prepared by John McLaughlin himself who oversaw the remastering process and also contributed to the extensive liner notes that accompany the CD.

Brought together for one gig and one studio session, the Trio Of Doom reveals three of the biggest names in jazz at the height of their powers, in a setting (and at a volume) normally associated with heavy rock bands of the time! After 30 years languishing in the Columbia vaults, the music on this CD issue reveals an incredible one-off collaboration that sounds as fresh today as it did when recorded.

Guest donald petersen

besides the "names" what do "supergroups" usuallly bring to the table?

cream was pretty good i guess...but you know what i'm saying.

Not be harsh, just telling the truth. I'm sure there is something there, because plenty of people with taste dig it, but to me it sounds like a bunch of studio musicians sitting around noodling. It has a really gross feel to me.

BTW, I messed up - I've never even heard the first one, but I bet I would like it. I have, listen to, and like I Sing the Body Electric. I really hate Mysterious Traveller, Black Market, Heavy Weather and Mr. Gone. In a way it makes me feel bad, because I know there has to be something there. But I can't get past the (at least superficial) grossness.

Guest donald petersen

there you go...i was just thinking it would be weird to like the first self-titled album and then not i sing the body electric, which is sort of a tighter take on the first album.

BTW, I messed up - I've never even heard the first one, but I bet I would like it. I have, listen to, and like I Sing the Body Electric. I really hate Mysterious Traveller, Black Market, Heavy Weather and Mr. Gone. In a way it makes me feel bad, because I know there has to be something there. But I can't get past the (at least superficial) grossness.

You would probably like Live in Tokyo.

Guy

well, I bought it a few days ago. It's not that bad really. It's very explosive music, I think whatever tension John and Tony had with Jaco gives the live cuts an exciting edge, truthfully I think the drum solo into the opening "Dark Prince" really smokes. While the album is not a revelation for either of the members I think it's fine addition, plus I am a Tony freak. I think that the initial disappointment for many was based on the studio doctored cuts from "Havana Jam", that's my $.02 :)